“A Comfortable Place in Charming Shelter Island”
Review of Candlelite Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shelter Island
Candlelite Inn
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I stayed at the Candlelite Inn on a discounted deal and thus I must admit my expectations weren't high due to the low price point. The Inn is clean and comfortable, it feels as though you might be at a friends home. Do not expect any service throughout your stay as there is no visible Inn keeper. I personally enjoyed not feeling like I was tip toeing around in someones private home however I did find a few flaws in the system. For one, if we needed something, there was no one to ask... Secondly for the breakfast, many items ran out quickly and there was no one to refresh them in the morning.
My biggest complaint was that when the Inn keeper was there at some point, he/ she threw away a just opened bottle of very nice wine. I was told we could leave things in the kitchen so this was an unpleasant surprise... the same happend with our Manchego cheese that was also tossed from the fridge.
It was a comfortable stay however if I was paying over $200 to be there, I would probably be disappointed at the lack of service.
As a note to the owner, there was no one at the Inn to replensih the fresh fruit/ yogurt on Sunday morning. The same limited items that you had out on Sat. were there on Sunday am. As this is a cozy Inn and generally speaking, people aren't rushing on the weekends you should seriously consider changing your breakfast hours until 11am.

Room Tip: Just note that the bathrooms are across the hallway from your room. They are very clean and we didnt...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 August 2012

All first sight it deserves an average rating in comparison to the many bed and breakfasts i have stayed in, probably not worth mentioning on tripadvisor. The house is nice, rooms are clean, room interior somewhat unremarkable, breakfast is a self service selection of packaged, processed items. The owner mostly communicates through post-its. Prices are off the charts but I understand that shelter island is more expensive. What turned us off were some unwelcoming touches that we felt were unnecessary, e.g. while getting a cup of coffee on the main terrace in the afternoon the owner dropped a comment that breakfast time was over, he switched-off electricity to the coffee machine then added new post-its clarifying his point. At $400+ per room per night that's not exactly what we expected.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank stefanowitsch212
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Booked this B&B last minute, as could not get in anywhere else on the island. The rooms were a good size and very clean. The beds were very comfortable and despite the thin walls we both slept very well.
Breakfast was a self service buffet, consisting of tea/coffee, a selections of juices, yoghurt, cereals, breads to toast and muffins, and there was also fresh fruit available. It was a good breakfast - however, on the second day we had to clean our bowls before eating as there were some ants in them!
We never met any staff in the B&B, we arrived to an open door and a letter with our name and key stuck to it - the front door also remained open and unlocked day and night while we were there, which we didn't feel was completely safe -despite the quiet location.

Room Tip: Not all rooms are unsuite, so request this if this is important. A room at the back of the house ma...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ohsmartymarty
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Sufficient. Clean. Pretty. Smallish room. Good bed. Typical of island, it was very expensive, $235 for room with mild annoyance of having to cross hall and go down a couple doors to get to the bathroom. It worked great that we never saw a human being, enjoyed the living room, took self-serve continental breakfast. For "breakfast' at a B and B I would really like a full breakfast, though, including protein such as eggs. Innkeepers were very nice by phone. Walls were paper thin, so we could hear every page turning and breath.

Room Tip: See if they can put you far from others or in a room with thicker walls.
Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frannyola
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Stayed here at the last minute last Saturday at the recommendation of the woman who runs the antique store across the street (and who furnished some of the rooms). Really great place, felt like it was newly redone. Had the place pretty much to ourselves. It was super clean, everything feels newish. Nice bed, high-end shower head, everything was super clean, nice hammocks in the back, nice little breakfast area with modern containers and bowls and scoops. Someone put a lot of thought into the design of this place and you can can feel it. Even has a little fireplace area with sofas for reading, and a covered porch out front to watch life go by (and we had amazing weather). Found out the next day that that owner also runs a higher end place called Le maison blanc, and we had brunch there. Highly recommended, no complaints at all, and a good price.

Room Tip: Room #4 is the biggest and has a private bath. I think some rooms have their bath across the hall. R...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Overpriced is all I can say. I am not picky, but this is not a typical B&B. For $250 a night, it was a rip off, as are a lot of places on the island, but come on, you cannot even find someone here to welcome you or ask questions. Shared bathroom, and kitchen was stocked, but not great stuff. We stayed here because of a family event the next morning, I've stayed at 5 star resorts for less than $250 a night, so I was kinda wondering where they got the nerve to charge this..

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HusnaO
Reviewed 23 August 2011

My husband I just got back from Shelter Island we went to attend our friend's daughter's wedding. We have never stayed anywhere on the island before, as we always stay with our friends, who recommended this place to us. The people who run it were very hospitable, and could not have been more accommodating. The rooms are clean and fresh, and although the bathroom is across the hall, each room has a dedicated bathroom, which makes it very easy. There is a really lovely porch where we were able to sit out and read, and also some common spaces inside, had the weather not cooperated. The kitchen area is stocked with juices, yogurt, coffee, tea and other items, including a fridge that you can have access to 24 hours (like if you have yummy leftovers form an area restaurant). Breakfast is strictly continental (and "do it yourself" as opposed to many B&B's we've stayed in), but there were cereals, fruits and muffins and you would not need to go hungry. I have stayed at many B&B's and this is one the nicer ones I've been to.

Room Tip: We liked room 5 since it is at the end of the hall and maes it feel a bit more private
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple