“Horrible! Save your Money!” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Northern Lake George Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Silver Bay
Royersford, Pennsylvania
“Horrible! Save your Money!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

I never write reviews, but this place was so horrible, I couldn't resist. We stayed at Norther Lake George Resort for three nights in August. We chose this resort because it was very conveniently located to a family member's lake front home, where we planned to spend the entire day over the weekend we were there enjoying a very large family celebration. Although we were literally only in the room to sleep and shower, that was far longer than I would have liked to be there. Traveling with me was my husband and one-year-old daughter. My parents and brother also had their own rooms.

For starters, we arrived late and were told to ring the intercom for service. There was not a soul in sight. Instead, we found our room key sitting on the front desk with a note instructing us to fill out a registration card with our name, address, credit card info, etc. and leave it on the desk! We then enter the motel room to find it dark, extremely outdated, small, and uninviting. The door knobs had an antiquated locking system and were loose and wobbly. Not exactly a good feeling of security. The "king sized bed" was actually two twin mattresses side by side on a platform. The sheets were see-through and there was no mattress pad! Gross. The room was so small that we did not have enough space to set up the pack and play for our daughter to sleep on, so she had to sleep in our bed. Of course, there was a crack from two separate mattresses in the middle, so you can imagine how uncomfortable that was. The bathroom was tiny, the shower seemed to be one of those temporary shower stalls with pipes exposed on the outer wall. The sink was tiny and there was no counter space or ledge for your toiletries. The towels were about the quality of a handkerchief. Short, threadbare, and non-absorbant.

The signs posted on the walls looked like they hadn't been replaced in 30 years and one even warned you not to iron your clothes on the carpet because the nylon would melt. Seriously?!

The only small redeeming quality was that breakfast was included in your room price and that was actually decent. Even with breakfast, the awful conditions of the room were not worth the $100 per night rate. Our first two mornings at breakfast went smoothly and all three of us enjoyed a decent meal. On our third and final morning, they brought us a bill (without mentioning it ahead of time) for our daughter's meal because the "double occupancy rooms include two breakfasts." I couldn't believe the audacity they had to ask us to pay for a $6 breakfast when they are clearly profiting from the overpriced room rates. Plus, we had already had two morning breakfasts where this wasn't an issue. Needless to say, after speaking with the manager, we did not pay for the breakfast. We will also never be staying there again.....even though the location was in perfect proximity to our family member's house. I'd rather camp in a tent on my aunt's lawn and wait in line with a dozen other people for the shower than stay in this place again.

This place makes Motel 6 and Super 8 motels look like the Hilton.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Megan G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

I go to Lake George with the family every year and the northern part of the lake is more peaceful and less crowded than the village or even Bolton Landing. The prices at Northern Lake George Resort are more reasonable than the other 2 areas as well. This place isn't a 5-star hotel so you get what you pay for...adequate comforts like a/c, refrigerator, tv, etc. I hardly spend any time in the room anyway. Who goes to a lake to hang out in their room? A must see attraction at this resort is the Necessary Room in the Lodge. It's a site for sore eyes when you have gravy leg.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank TripsterMcFunly
Burlington, Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2010

We had booked at another resort but unfortuatly they were over booked and assisted us with finding accomidations, which lead us to the Northern Lake George Resort. I was traveling with my wife, 8 month old son, mother and fater In-law. When we arrived their were no other vehicles at the resort (clue #1.) It was off-season and I was charged over $200 for a small 2 floor suite, for 1 night. My hunting camp is larger and better equipt that this suite (clue #2.) When we walked in the suite, the walls had signs all over the place telling you to not touch this, don't do that. And if you did touch this or do that you'll be charged. Basically treating you like a 5 year old (clue #3.) The suite seemed to me that it had been winterized (everthing un-pluged, frige door open/unthawed), to include owners telling me that they turned on the water for us (clue #4). They had a coffee maker but no coffee or filters (clue #5). Mold in the bathroom and toilette (clue #6.) So I cleaned the toilette. It takes a while to get slimy mold to form in a toilette.

The actual experience:
When I cheked in their were many restrictions. Basically it came down to "Don't bother the Inn Keepers with anything." Both my In-laws are handicap and had difficulties get into the suite and into the bathroom/shower. The shower used a water saver head and the shower was a trickle. The suite was very loud with the heaters running. The beds were basiclly a platform with a mattress on top. Very uncomfortable. They basically want you to do all the cleaning and house keeping for them, but then charge you for housekeeping. When we were leaving the next morning the overwhelming sewer smell outside by the parking area.

Normally I'm not so critical, I do back country backpacking and sleep on the ground and can ruff it with the best of them. But at over $200 a night, at least prep the suite and give me some coffee. Maybe it's nicer in the summer??? All I know is that I'll never go there again. And would recommend most folks to find a nicer place to stay.

In the end the other resort was nice enough to pay us back for staying at the Northern Lake George Resort.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank Cop551

Travellers are raving about these Silver Bay hotels

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2010

Came here with a group on a retreat. Beautiful open space and nice location. Motel is okay. Needs a lot of updating. Room was very small, had small sink outside the bathroom. Staff was friendly and helpful. Food was good, enjoyed buffet.

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank margi123
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2010

My family and I always book one of their Villa units during the summer. The Rooms are clean, the service great and the Lake is beautiful and clean. The Resort is far away from Lake George Village but this lends to the rustic and getaway quality that the resort offers. Lake George Village during the summer months is congested and very busy with people. The Lake (at this end)--is teeming with boats.
If you want to get away from a lot of noise and just spend quiet quality time with your family, then Northern Lake George Resort is the place for you. If you want to go shopping or to the Great Escape Amusement Park, these trips are made in very little time.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Manasquan, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2008

The title says it all. The cabins are very nice, but the motel seems to have been ignored. We asked for a cabin when we made the reservations but there were none availble. So the rest of the group convinced me to just book a motel room there. So we did and drove the 6 hours to the lake and discovered that the resort is over an hour away from Lake George the town and 45 minutes from the closest town (forget the name). We walked into the room and discovered 1 big bed taking up the small tired room. It was clean mind you but everything looked like it hadnt been updated since the 70s. I wanted to go somewhere else but we already paid and it was a busy weekend. The first night was interesting with 3 people to a bed. My girlfriend took the middle and my friend on the other side trying to sleep but we couldn't. Why? Because the walls are paper thin! We could hear the two guys next door having a despicable conversation. We finally screamed, "SHUT UP!" after a few minutes listening to them.

The next morning we had the free breakfast, which is delicious. The grounds are beautiful. I tried to make a call but there is no cell service here. The View restaraunt up the street 20 minutes is great for dinner.

• Liked — Breakfast, views, cabin accomodations
  • Disliked — Distance from attractions, no cell service, motel room quality
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank ac116
Annapolis Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2007

Came up from Maryland to do some Ice Fishing. We had a great time and the staff at the resort couldn't help us enough. We always had a nice stack of wood for the fire place and I thought our room was excellent. They were very helpful with directions and gave us some really good advise on where to catch the big ones. We will be going up again in February, 2007 and look forward to staying in the same room. Can't say enough good things about them.........

Vic Auletta
Annapolis, Maryland

• Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank RagmanMD
#5 of 6 in Ticonderoga
Blue Lagoon Resort
Blue Lagoon Resort
#1 of 5 in Diamond Point

Been to Northern Lake George Resort? Share your experiences!