“Romantic getaway in Central New York”

Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Skaneateles
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My husband took me to Mirbeau for our two-year anniversary. The rooms were absolutely charming. A little dimly lit, but that added to the romantic atmosphere. They accommodated our requests regarding extras like a celebratory cake and champagne waiting for us in the room after dinner. My husband also ordered a beautiful flower arrangement, but it arrived frozen and mostly dead. They promptly refunded the flowers, though. The television had really bad sound and not a great picture, but this is nitpicking. I couldn't use the spa because I was 13 weeks pregnant and they don't allow mother to be to take the prenatal massage until the second trimester. We had a great time anyway playing games by the fire, enjoying the beautiful snow, and eating at their restaurants, which although not stellar, offered an interesting selection and decent food. Small detail worth noting-- the shampoo and conditioner (available for sale in the gift shop) smelled incredible, and my husband ended up buying me some because it was better than some of the overpriced high end stuff I usually use.

Altogether, I would say this was a great little getaway, I think we'll likely return, and it could be improved upon by higher quality dining. Next time I'm excited to try the spa.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Showed up on a relaxing girls weekend to heal and have fun with friends. Got told not to talk at the spa and after dinner got a call in our room for noise ordinance because we were laughing too loud?!?! Seriously?? Went down to the front desk, we are in out late 30's and had to whisper in our room??? Spent too much. My gf said it best "this is a very nice prison". Go elsewhere to have a good time. 10:30pm at night it was dead at the bar and the lights were out at the resort. Very sad weekend. Not worth it for the money. Try Falling Water or Woodcliff instead. Great for girls getaways.

• Stayed: February 2014
11  Thank Eva A
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I am going to be consise and not repeat too much about the site, but offer some other observations that others have not commented on. First, I booked a getaway for my husband and I (our Christmas gift to each other) a month in advance for a weekend night in February, being careful not to chose Valentine's weekend due to the crowd and obvious higher rates. Keep in mind that this is a small, private resort (34 rooms), so plan in advance. Being that it is winter time in upstate NY, and having never stayed here before, I took the last standard room available in the main building/inn, which was the handicap accessible room. I was told the only difference was the maneuverability in the bathroom, and obvious some safety features. This was fine with me, as we don't camp in the bathroom! Upon check in, we learned that another couple needed the room, so they moved us to a club room at no extra charge. The staff was very polite, and the host took us to our room and gave us a tour around the main building and spa, which was very much appreciated instead of us trying to figure it out like some places do. The club room availed us to some added features - earlier check in, fresh fruit and Keurig maker in the common area, great homemade cookies, a cheese platter, and some sparking wine. The club rooms are 3 individual rooms with a common area that you first enter into - which has a large screen TV, a large dining table, sofas, and several games. I would love to have had time to relax here. This would be an ideal accommodation for family or friends traveling together so they could hang out with privacy. The rooms were as nice as others described - we saw no issues, and it was so cozy and warm, even without the fireplace on. One drawback: The bathroom lighting was terrible to put my makeup on - too dark, and I may have scared folks! The soaking tub was just that - I always bring my own bubble bath in case there isn't any. This would have been a nice ammenity to provide. We dined in the restaurant - very good service, and it was not very crowded. The shrimp and grits appetizer was excellent, the filet mignon decent, but the seafood le colonial was disappointing. For $42 this included a small lobster tail, a large sea scallop, and a shrimp (I believe that is all) - served on a rectangle plate, with a scoop of jasmine rice and some thai sauce enhancing the items. The food was tasty, but not enough, and there was actually a piece of something (lobster shell?) that took up a 1/4 of the plate but wasn't edible. The restaurant should include a decent salad for the same prices to raise the standard up a notch. The restaurant is worth trying if you are staying here, but I would try some other local places when I come back. The food and drinks were quite pricy. Our room included a continental breakfast or a $10 towards the breakfast menu. I chose the continental after seeing all the homemade pastries, which were amazing. There was homemade granola, yogurt, fruit, meat and cheeses. My husband chose an omlet from the menu and enjoyed it, although the potato pancake and toast were overdone. We were amazed at the wait staff delivering room service to the cottages on a snowy morning. How impressive they looked carrying all the trays over the bridge - they deserve a mega tip in sub par weather. We arrived early for our couples massage as recommended, but on Saturday afternoon there were no lounge chairs available in the relaxation room, and no room in the hottub. It's a spa area, so walk carefully as it was a little slippery. We found a place to sit, and enjoyed the darkened and peaceful room until they called us for the massages, which were great and so relaxing. What I didn't like was that the door to the outside hottub was constantly opening, which interrupted the peaceful tranquility and let in light. If that could be changed it would be nice. After the massage, we enjoyed the outdoor hottub with others, and they served drinks there - sweet treat! Towels were plentiful. I tried the euclyptus steam shower, and no one else was in it - the door got stuck and I couldn't open it. I didn't know if it pulled or pushed, and started to slightly panic - someone opened it from the outside. We love spa treatments, but usually don't splurge at nice places like this. We were the only ones using the outdoor spa on early Sunday morning, and it was amazing once you got in! My recommendations - pack your own shower thongs and obviously a bathing suit. If you don't like the crowds that are typical at a beautiful spa, it should go without saying that you should book during the early hours or go on a weekday. This is not a place I would ever stay with children. A unique experience to treat yourself and that someone special.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fairreviewinny
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I had been to Mirbeau a few times in the past, twice for dinner and once we stayed for the weekend. I really like the feel and atmosphere. our room was very nice and spacious with an extremely comfortable bed, beautiful bathroom and fireplace and a great view.
Unfortunately my memory of the restaurant was just that. I was expecting so much because of my past experience there. The waitress (darienne) was very friendly and helpful and the menu looked interesting. But of the four of us dining, really only one of us thought his entree was okay. The cod was so salty you couldn't eat it, the vegan pasta dish was incredibly boring with no flavor and over cooked, and my lamb shank was also salty and not heated all the way through.
I enjoyed the hot tub (perfect on a cold snowy evening) and the relaxation room after for a nice nap and we did have a very nice drink at the bar. But unfortunately for me, my meal was so disappointing that considering how much the bill was at the end of our one night stay, I don't think ill be rushing back to try it again

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jjpdds
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This is the second time I have stayed overnight and used the spa services and both times were disappointing to say the least. I was reluctant to go again but figured we would give it another try. My boyfriend and I booked overnight accommodations with a couples massage on Saturday Feb 8th upon arrival I noticed it was extremely busy. There was NO parking! When I opened the door to our room (222) there were salt stains all over the carpets, the Bose sound system was playing a classical type music however I had to turn it off because of the terrible static noise along with every other station I tried so something must have been wrong with it. The room was freezing cold the whole time and there was no thermostat that we could find. The lampshade was bent, & ripped, one of the lamps by the bed didn't work, the phone by the bed didn't work, there were gouges out of all of the wood furniture, hair in the tub, and the blow dryer was awful it smelled and burnt my hair! I could go on and on with other details. The spa area was so overcrowded there was nowhere for us to sit in the hot tub or in the relaxation room before our treatments. This "resort" has really been let go it needs major renovations and upkeep. We debated giving it another try or going to the casino for a spa getaway...we definitely made the wrong choice by coming here again! For the $1044 price tag that was only for overnight accommodations in a basic room, couples massage, dessert & water we ordered from room service, breakfast, and I got a wine & honey wrap the next day....we could have felt truly pampered in a well maintained clean environment anywhere else. For the money, this is the worst hotel I've ever stayed at and we will not go back again.

• Stayed: February 2014
9  Thank Robin100-00
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Our 2nd trip to Mirbeau - and it was as wonderful as the first. We stayed in the Cottages - so yes you have to walk in the cold across the property to the spa/dinner/bar. It's part of the charm as the property is so well sculpted and beautifully lit.

The spa is top notch for upstate NY. The cottage rooms are the stuff dreams are made of - Keurigs, worlds comfiest beds, fireplace, soaking tub & separate tiled shower and heavenly soaps/shampoos.

Dinner is a unique menu - high end and fancy. If you want something simpler you can order things like French Onion from the bar - the waiters are your friend, don't be intimidated.

I cannot say enough good about the spa - the outdoor hot tub, the relaxation room. Eucalyptus steam shower... My husband was disappointed as his steam shower had no Eucalyptus. He was told they didn't order enough. On the flips side, there were never less than 6 women on my side in the 2 days we were there. He didn't even see 6 men in two days...

Classly, comfy, and worth the splurge.

Room Tip: Inn is attached to everything, Cottages allow you to enjoy the grounds on the 3-5 min walk.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank goodfoodrocks
MirbeauSkaneateles, Guest Relations Manager at Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you so much for your review! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your Mirbeau experience and hope to see you again as our guests soon!

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Spent our 40th anniversary overnight at Mirbeau which included spa treatments, couples message, dinner and breakfast. The room was spacious, immaculate with beautiful linens, shower and tub and a lovely view. We arrived in the early afternoon, were shown to our room, given appropriate robes for our spa experience and headed to the spa for the afternoon. Spa was immaculate. Spent time in the pool and hot tub and then had a fabulous hour long couples message. Everyone was warm and hospitable and the spa was immaculate. We then went back to our room to relax before dinner where a bottle of champagne was waiting for us. We sat outside drinking our champagne and enjoying the beautiful grounds until out dinner reservations.
We ate on the porch over looking the coy pond and the lovely view. Dinner was excellent and the service exceptional. We were served a special anniversary dessert on the house and a night cap and returned to our room for a great night's sleep. Breakfast was also exceptional and service was excellent throughout our stay.
If you have a chance to stay at the Mirbeau, don't miss it. It's a great experience with top-notch service and food. Best of all, it is a friendly atmosphere, not stuffy or pretentious.

Room Tip: Just ask. They will always try to acomodate your needs or desires.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jandow
MirbeauSkaneateles, Guest Relations Manager at Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you very much for sharing your 40th anniversary with us! We appreciate the kind words in your review and that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay from facilities to service. We love romantic visits such as yours and wish you many more happy years of marriage!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skaneateles
Skaneateles Suites
#5 of 7 in Skaneateles
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn
Inn at the Finger Lakes
Holiday Inn Auburn - Finger Lakes Region

Been to Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles? Share your experiences!