“Nice venue. Spa too busy on weekends” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles

Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Skaneateles
maryland
“Nice venue. Spa too busy on weekends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

This is a small property. Spa facilities are nice but far too small for the waiting crowds on the weekends. Staff is helpful and attentive. Spa is busy because open to inn guests as well as community. Dining and reception areas are relaxing and cozy. An enjoyable weekend retreat if not too crowded.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
upstate New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed at the Mirbeau for a weekday overnight special, Sunday to Monday, and loved every minute of it! It was totally relaxing from the time we walked through the front door to driving home the next day. This is our first time here and stayed on recommendations from friends.
We arrived early as we were told that we had full use of the facilities for the day were here, but not quite knowing what to do we took a quick tour and then had a glass of wine while watching the show fall from the lounge windows. The mediation room was quiet and relaxing, and on a Sunday was full, but not so you couldn't find a spot, as some reviewed have commented on the weekend. Our massage was perfect. The outside spa was great, even with the freezing air temps and snow- especially with the spa side bar and bartender. Our room was very comfortable, with a cozy bed, large tile shower and soaking tub. We did not have dinner at the Mirbeau, as we heard it was expensive and so so, but instead walked to a near by restaurant upon recommendations of other guests at the spa, and had a fantastic Italian meal. The next day we had a fine breakfast which was included with our room, of fruit, yogurt and pastries before going to an exercise class, spending time in the sauna, eucalyptus steam room, hot tub and meditation room. When we reluctant to finally give up our white robes and head home. The entire staff was professional and helpful. All the guests we met, whether they were couples, mother daughter or girls get away, seemed to be in the same relaxed frame of mind we were. We will certainly make this a yearly winter get away.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

My wife and I spent an overnight for a spa weekend. We stayed in a cottage detached from the main building, but only a one minute walk through the garden courtyard. The relaxing room with the foot pool was quiet, with soothing music, and fragrances was very soothing. The outside hot tub was spectacular. On a 30 degree day, we were very comfortable. A bar, right at spa-side, had drinks easy to refill. The room was very well appointed, with a fireplace, and soaking tub. We had dinner elsewhere, but breakfast at the spa the next morning was delicious. It is a bit pricey, but overall it is a very worthwhile place for a special occasion.

Room Tip: The cottages are quiet and away from the main building, and a short walk to the spa
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MikeGSyr
Skaneateles, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

I spent a Sunday night with my daughter for Spa treatments and a Staycation. Loved the experience, I will be ordering one of their special mattresses and the massages were great. We had dinner at a neighboring restaurant and breakfast the next day at the Spa. Both meals cost almost the same. Next time (and there will be a next time) I will order the $10 coffee from room service and go to the bakery for breakfast. It did get crowded in both the Aqua Terrace and the Tranquility room. Seemed like there were too many people scheduled to be there at the same time considering the limited space. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The facility is showing some wear and tear and could use a refresh pretty soon.

Room Tip: I will always choose 122. It does not require going outside on bad weather days and it's a shor...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank bortzmyan
Alas, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

My husband took me to Mirbeau for our two-year anniversary. The rooms were absolutely charming. A little dimly lit, but that added to the romantic atmosphere. They accommodated our requests regarding extras like a celebratory cake and champagne waiting for us in the room after dinner. My husband also ordered a beautiful flower arrangement, but it arrived frozen and mostly dead. They promptly refunded the flowers, though. The television had really bad sound and not a great picture, but this is nitpicking. I couldn't use the spa because I was 13 weeks pregnant and they don't allow mother to be to take the prenatal massage until the second trimester. We had a great time anyway playing games by the fire, enjoying the beautiful snow, and eating at their restaurants, which although not stellar, offered an interesting selection and decent food. Small detail worth noting-- the shampoo and conditioner (available for sale in the gift shop) smelled incredible, and my husband ended up buying me some because it was better than some of the overpriced high end stuff I usually use.

Altogether, I would say this was a great little getaway, I think we'll likely return, and it could be improved upon by higher quality dining. Next time I'm excited to try the spa.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

Showed up on a relaxing girls weekend to heal and have fun with friends. Got told not to talk at the spa and after dinner got a call in our room for noise ordinance because we were laughing too loud?!?! Seriously?? Went down to the front desk, we are in out late 30's and had to whisper in our room??? Spent too much. My gf said it best "this is a very nice prison". Go elsewhere to have a good time. 10:30pm at night it was dead at the bar and the lights were out at the resort. Very sad weekend. Not worth it for the money. Try Falling Water or Woodcliff instead. Great for girls getaways.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Eva A
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

I am going to be consise and not repeat too much about the site, but offer some other observations that others have not commented on. First, I booked a getaway for my husband and I (our Christmas gift to each other) a month in advance for a weekend night in February, being careful not to chose Valentine's weekend due to the crowd and obvious higher rates. Keep in mind that this is a small, private resort (34 rooms), so plan in advance. Being that it is winter time in upstate NY, and having never stayed here before, I took the last standard room available in the main building/inn, which was the handicap accessible room. I was told the only difference was the maneuverability in the bathroom, and obvious some safety features. This was fine with me, as we don't camp in the bathroom! Upon check in, we learned that another couple needed the room, so they moved us to a club room at no extra charge. The staff was very polite, and the host took us to our room and gave us a tour around the main building and spa, which was very much appreciated instead of us trying to figure it out like some places do. The club room availed us to some added features - earlier check in, fresh fruit and Keurig maker in the common area, great homemade cookies, a cheese platter, and some sparking wine. The club rooms are 3 individual rooms with a common area that you first enter into - which has a large screen TV, a large dining table, sofas, and several games. I would love to have had time to relax here. This would be an ideal accommodation for family or friends traveling together so they could hang out with privacy. The rooms were as nice as others described - we saw no issues, and it was so cozy and warm, even without the fireplace on. One drawback: The bathroom lighting was terrible to put my makeup on - too dark, and I may have scared folks! The soaking tub was just that - I always bring my own bubble bath in case there isn't any. This would have been a nice ammenity to provide. We dined in the restaurant - very good service, and it was not very crowded. The shrimp and grits appetizer was excellent, the filet mignon decent, but the seafood le colonial was disappointing. For $42 this included a small lobster tail, a large sea scallop, and a shrimp (I believe that is all) - served on a rectangle plate, with a scoop of jasmine rice and some thai sauce enhancing the items. The food was tasty, but not enough, and there was actually a piece of something (lobster shell?) that took up a 1/4 of the plate but wasn't edible. The restaurant should include a decent salad for the same prices to raise the standard up a notch. The restaurant is worth trying if you are staying here, but I would try some other local places when I come back. The food and drinks were quite pricy. Our room included a continental breakfast or a $10 towards the breakfast menu. I chose the continental after seeing all the homemade pastries, which were amazing. There was homemade granola, yogurt, fruit, meat and cheeses. My husband chose an omlet from the menu and enjoyed it, although the potato pancake and toast were overdone. We were amazed at the wait staff delivering room service to the cottages on a snowy morning. How impressive they looked carrying all the trays over the bridge - they deserve a mega tip in sub par weather. We arrived early for our couples massage as recommended, but on Saturday afternoon there were no lounge chairs available in the relaxation room, and no room in the hottub. It's a spa area, so walk carefully as it was a little slippery. We found a place to sit, and enjoyed the darkened and peaceful room until they called us for the massages, which were great and so relaxing. What I didn't like was that the door to the outside hottub was constantly opening, which interrupted the peaceful tranquility and let in light. If that could be changed it would be nice. After the massage, we enjoyed the outdoor hottub with others, and they served drinks there - sweet treat! Towels were plentiful. I tried the euclyptus steam shower, and no one else was in it - the door got stuck and I couldn't open it. I didn't know if it pulled or pushed, and started to slightly panic - someone opened it from the outside. We love spa treatments, but usually don't splurge at nice places like this. We were the only ones using the outdoor spa on early Sunday morning, and it was amazing once you got in! My recommendations - pack your own shower thongs and obviously a bathing suit. If you don't like the crowds that are typical at a beautiful spa, it should go without saying that you should book during the early hours or go on a weekday. This is not a place I would ever stay with children. A unique experience to treat yourself and that someone special.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fairreviewinny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skaneateles
Skaneateles Suites Boutique Hotel
Inn at the Finger Lakes
The Gould Hotel
The Gould Hotel
#2 of 4 in Seneca Falls

Been to Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles? Share your experiences!