“A great escape in the NY Lake region”

Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Skaneateles
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Love this property - have returned about 5-6 times and in conjunction with dropping a child at SU. Great escape from the city and quite luxurious. Always a pleasant stay and the spa offers excellent and relaxing services. The property is extrememly well maintained, and even though it appears like a french garden, the winter is quite beautiful as well. Only regret, have returned a number of times but we are never greeted as returning customers?

Room Tip: All the rooms are great - select according to price.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
RDMalcolm, General Manager at Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

It was our pleasure having you as guests at Mirbeau Inn & Spa for a little restful relaxation after dropping your child off for the start of the academic year at Syracuse University. Our grounds crew will be thrilled to learn that all the hard work they have been doing is not going unnoticed. I must apologies that our team did not recognize you as loyal guests a fact I must thank you for. If I can be of any assistance in the future in arranging your return dates please don’t hesitate to contact me so I can be of service.

There are newer reviews for Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Please take all negative reviews of Mirbeau with a grain of salt! My husband and I just spent three nights at Mirbeau and had a wonderful time. If I could give it 4.5 stars I would!

From the time that I called the hotel to make a reservation until the time that we checked out the service was wonderful. All of the staff tries and works very hard to be accommodating. They were all very pleasant and welcoming. The garden staff was working each day to maintain the lovely gardens. The grounds were so beautiful. We had a nice waiter, Tyler, that did his best to make sure that our breakfast was lovely each morning.

Each day we had breakfast in the dining room or on the porch where we were able to enjoy the lovely scenery. Breakfast was very nice and the good was good. They offered typical breakfast food-eggs, French toast, pancakes etc. They made their own sausages and had many local offerings on the menu. We ate dinner twice in the wine bar near the fireplace. The benefit of dining in the wine bar was that you could order off of the wine bar menu or the formal dining room menu. This provided more food options and a lighter menu. Everything that we ate was very good. We had the burger, shrimp with black quinoa, Mediterranean platter, onion soup, prosciutto and asparagus. All delicious.

We stayed in the club room. Since we made a last minute reservation, this was the only room type available. I am not sure of the up charge from the basic room for the club room but there were some nice benefits. We received a lovely cheese plate each afternoon and freshly baked cookies every evening. It was a nice touch. My only recommendation would be that the cheeses be accompanied by a description of the cheeses offered. In addition to the cheese and cookies, the club room offered use of a keurig for coffee which came in very handy. We also had the use of an enormous shared living/dining room. There was never anyone in there. This type of set up would be great for a bunch of couples traveling together or a group getting away for a girls weekend. The room was clean and very comfortable. The tv was a bit outdated but we did not use it much. I just wish that I had sprung for the garden view instead if the "wooded view room.. The wooded view looked out into the service entrance and was not as pretty. It could also be noisy at times.

While we did not have any spa services, we did make use of the hot tub in the spa. Bring your bathing suits! It is a great hot tub! The spa was packed every day so they must be doing something right. Service at the hot tub area was also nice and friendly

The hotel has a great location and Skaneatlas was the nicest town that we saw in the area. We would walk to the town from the hotel which we liked. We had lunch at the Sherwood inn which was great. We also ate at blue water grill. It was ok but I do not recommend the sushi. Mirbeau is a good home base to try local wineries. Definitely go wine tasting and drive around as the local scenery is beautiful.

I definitely recommend Mirbeau for a relaxing get away!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
RDMalcolm, General Manager at Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

The entire staff thanks you for letting us know about your recent visit to Mirbeau Inn & Spa. We thank you for your suggestions and for identifying staff members who made your stay memorable. We look forward to having you return as our guest and hope you will take advantage of our spa facilities for your next relaxing getaway.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Our arrival was early on our anniversary, but the room wasn't ready at 4:00 (later in the day than most b&bs are ready), and at 4:30 we went back to the desk asking again (despite their promise to call us when ready), and they discovered that the cleaning staff had really finished. For our trouble, they offered us a bottle of wine, and had us actually choose the wine, saying it would be delivered to our room. It was never delivered. We went out to eat and enjoyed the evening. When it came to shower time, we found they did have robes, but the "bath" towels were about the size of regular towels--they had no real "bath" towels in the room. And the towels were very hard. We went to breakfast in the am in a nice formal-type restaurant to find that they encouraged their spa vacationers to come to breakfast in bath robes. This was kind of a turn-off for myself and my wife. We went to the desk to tell them they'd forgotten our bottle of wine from the night before, and they asked, "You didn't get the cheese dish either?" Well no, we didn't get anything. They gave us the bottle of wine we chose earlier, and credited the breakfast then gave us a discount on the room. It was only right. Finally, there was a bees nest right by the entrance, and a bee stung my wife on the shoulder. What luck!

1  Thank rkoen

Thank you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Mirbeau Inn & Spa.We strive to provide a gracious guest experience. We owe you our deepest apologies for the inconvenience that we may have caused you during your stay. We sincerely appreciate your review and will utilize it to improve future guest experience.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had a fantastic time! This marks my third trip to Mirbeau. Ryan , who gave me the honey wrap and massage was wonderful! Went wine tasting on the way home and had a fabulous dinner at the Sherwood Inn in Skaneateles. Perfect getaway. Counting down until I can go again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank LoriCaso
RDMalcolm, General Manager at Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Mirbeau Inn and Spa loves to hear from its special guests and is delighted that it was a part of your “Perfect Getaway”. We are very proud of our team of professionally trained spa therapists and thank you for recognizing Ryan. We look forward to having you join us again for another Skaneateles getaway.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was our second trip to Mirbeau. Our first visit 3 years ago was a wonderful romantic
get-away and although we had not purposely planned to return, we were happy to oblige our
family that wanted to meet at a nice central location. This is the only inn of this caliber
in the area. It is absolutely beautiful and you feel like you could be in southern France
when you look out into the "lagoon" area. The cottage rooms are also beautiful with a French country feel and nice bathrooms. Our room this time (211) had a funky smell though.
The spa is very nice with good options and therapists. The little foot soaking pool is SO hot
you can't leave your feet in there for more than a few seconds. It was also quite crowded in
the common areas both days we were there. The workout facility is excellent and there are several exercise classes during the day to choose from. My real complaint is the restaurant.
Although EVERY employee was pleasant (except the night staff checkout lady), the service
in the restaurant was so slow. We ate 4 meals at Mirbeau during our stay. It took forever for our food every time. One morning, 6 (yes, 6) tables that were seated after us received their food before we did. In terms of the quality of the food, breakfast was good, average. Lunch and dinner was excellent. I would definitely recommend Mirbeau to anyone going to this area. I will also consider visiting their new property in Mass.

Room Tip: Cottage rooms are lovely. First floor rooms have a patio. Second floor rooms do not.
1  Thank SBK552001
RDMalcolm, General Manager at Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

We always love to hear from our special guests and are delighted that our peaceful setting and central location worked out so nicely for your family. We thank you for your commentary which is instrumental in our efforts to continue to enhance the Mirbeau guest experience. Our sister property Mirbeau Inn & Spa at The Pinehills in Plymouth Massachusetts would be a wonderful escape that I encourage you to explore as another gracious restful sanctuary.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I hadn't been to this spa and years so I was excited to get back and see how it had changed. I arrived for the 10am yoga class which was lovely. The instructor had great music and great flow. It was the perfect hour and 20 minutes morning stretch. Afterwards I spent the day at the spa. I was a bit surprised at a couple things. First of all they only had an outdoor hot tub. I thought they'd also have a cold plunge. It was really lovely to see that they had a place to order food and drinks only the food was not "spa" supported food. I expected to see some fresh squeezed juices or interesting smoothies options with maybe even chiaseeds or other add-in booster foods but I found that they were stocked up on champagne and wine. There were no gluten free items. The menu was very uninteresting. There are ways to incorporate more health supported meals as well as locally sourced. Most of the selections had meat, although it didn't specify where it came from or weather it was grass-fed or pasture raised so made me think they are not as health conscious as most other spas I have been to. I also didn't feel they collaborate with local famers-very surprising for a small town business. I did not have a spa treatment as they were booked for the day but I have been told they are very average anyway. Seems to me that Mirbeau has some room to grow.

2  Thank Ruby R

Thank you for your comments which we will utilize to help improve the guest experience. The Aqua Terrace bar Menu is limited, however we do offer numerous gluten free, vegetarian and vegan options on our Dining room menu where our chef eagerly embraces the use of locally sourced items as the seasons allow.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Spa services were outstanding. Our 4 course dining experience was wonderful. General manager Richard Malcolm was extremely accommodating and all staff on site were friendly and professional. We plan to return again to enjoy all that Mirabeau has to offer.

Stayed: July 2014
RDMalcolm, General Manager at Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

The entire team at Mirbeau Skaneateles is so pleased that we were able to provide you a memorable experience. We look forward to another opportunity to have you as our gracious guests and to provide you once again with the delight of being truly cared for.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skaneateles
Skaneateles Suites
#5 of 7 in Skaneateles
Inn at the Finger Lakes
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn
Holiday Inn Auburn - Finger Lakes Region

Been to Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles? Share your experiences!