“Luxury in the Finger Lakes”

Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Skaneateles
Philadelphia, PA
“Luxury in the Finger Lakes”
Reviewed 24 October 2006

My husband and I stayed at Mirbeau for our anniversary last week and overall I was enchanted with the place. We stayed mid-week (Wed-Fri) in mid-October, which is decidedly off-season, and recieved an excellent rate for that reason. Our room was under $200 a night, after taxes, when it normally would have been closer to $400. So we knew we were getting quite a bargain, and that does adjust your expectations.

Our route to the hotel took us through the Seneca Lake wine trail, so we didn't end up arriving in town until 8. Note: most restaurants close early. We tried Joe's Pasta Gagrage only to find the kitchen had closed at 8pm! Arrived at Mirbeau around 9pm. The front desk is not very obvious- we drove around a bit to find it. Our greeting was rather indifferent as well. And when we arrived at our room, after hunting for the small numbers in the dark, there was a forgotten folded serving table in a nook outside our door. Not the kind of first impression one would expect. But we loved our room, which was an upper-level cottage room. The decor is lovely, the linens divine and the bathroom was perfect. The view was of the interior "courtyard", which was a beautifully landscaped take on Monet's garden, with a large pond and flowering waterlilies. And really, for most people that is what you pay for- the room and the amenities. I read in their in-room book that the beds are made just for them and can be purchased- which made me laugh until I tried one. I may just end up ordering one of those if I can think of a way to work from bed!

The folowing day I had a massage at the spa. Pricier than what I am used to (in a major city) but not nearly as out of line as the ridiculously priced manicure. It was, however, a wonderful massage and worth the price. Overnight guests can visit the spa for the steam room or sauna or the Aqua Terrace's oh-so-wonderful hot tub, which is unlike any hot tub I've ever seen. Do not miss this- my husband and I went out (it's outside) despite a chilly rain. There is also a small but well-equipped cardio room and exercise classes, but I'm guessing that unless you are super-serious about exercising, most people will choose the spa over the cardio. Still, all facilities are in top condition. The spa also has a small shop which sold the same shampoo and body lotion that was stocked in the room. Loved the rosemary mint body lotion. Their lotions use essential oils, and all of them smell and feel wonderful

We did not eat at Mirbeau at all, preferring simple breakfasts on the road while exploring and dining at local eateries. It would have been nice to have coffee in the room. That was a surprising omission. And no free bottled water, although the stuff that comes out of the tap up here tastes better than Evian.

• Liked — The serene environment and wonderful amenities.
  • Disliked — No in-room coffee.
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a cottage room.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 16 October 2006

We went to Mirbeau for a quiet weekend getaway in February. We ended up getting the room closest to the entryway and dining area, and could hear the outer door open -every- time someone walked down the hall. We could also hear just about every word our neighbors were saying in their room, and some of the clients seemed rude and obnoxious (apparently they were not there for a relaxing weekend). We requested a new room and was told there was nothing they could do. Dinner was billed twice to my credit card (although they fixed that pretty quickly.) All in all it was -not- a very relaxing weekend. We will not be going back there again. I felt like I was robbed of a few hundred dollars.

Pros: bathtub, food and wine at the bar, the meditation room.

Cons: way too expensive, hotel service not very accomodating or pleasant, no soundproofed rooms, other guests were sometimes annoying.

(However, we do recommend Rosalie's Cucina if you are in the area.)

• Liked — bathtub
  • Disliked — price, quality of the room
  • Tips/Secrets — don't get the room closest to the front desk
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank maebyn
NYC
Reviewed 14 September 2006

My wife and I have stayed at Mirbeau on multiple occasions, during the week and on the weekend, “in season” and “off season”. This property is always meticulously maintained and appointed. The service, whether at the Front Desk, Spa or Dining is always first-rate and impervious. The cuisine is unparalleled and delectable. The chef is justly talented. The only complaint we would have is the drive from NYC is a little long for us, but we heard rumors of a possible Mirbeau closer to us in Rhinebeck….Maybe? Would be great!

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Location
  • Tips/Secrets — Enjoy the spa
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank hotelstayer23
Fort Drum, NY
Reviewed 8 September 2006

Wanted to update a prior review I wrote. During an earlier visit hundreds of dollars of cash went missing from my purse while I wasn't feeling well. Had to carry cash for technical reasons. The money went missing in the hotel. Felt my illness was not handled well nor was my safety. Gave hotel overall poor marks.

Returned and found the hotel overall excellent and appreciated the staff's warm welcome as well as their attention to my needs. Room is fabulous for the location in the Finger Lakes Region of Central New York and in keeping with the theme of the hotel.

Spa was very good. Many quests like to talk in the quiet area of the spa but when I asked them to lower their voices they were accomodating. Spa professionals have told me they have tried to help with this problem but with little effect.

Food is outstanding and tasting presentation is a refreshing way to serve. I can't say enough about the food and their chef is genuinely talented. Wait staff is extraordinarily professional.

Still wish staff would be more consistently helpful but they certainly are trying.

Of note, the spa representatives at the front desk and the representatives who care for the locker rooms, quiet room and outdoor patior deserve additional compensation and would like to see a discrete way to provide a gratituity in a collective form. Perhaps spa management could work on that.

Want to thank all who made my return trip oustanding and I'm looking forward to a return visit.

• Liked — The "Monet" theme and the gorgeous property.
  • Disliked — Some lapses in service and details in the rooms.
  • Tips/Secrets — Would never give them away!!
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
2 Thank anonymousalways
Reviewed 8 August 2006

I recently spent a day at Mirbeau and was very disappointed with the facility. I have been there several times previous to this and was shocked at how run down the facility had become. The locker room was unkept and had no amenities, the pool area was dirty including the pool itself. The technicians were not experienced. The grounds were also unkept. In general, the entire facility is lacking proper management.

Stayed August 2006
5 Thank Jtor
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 June 2006

I took my girlfriend to Mirbeau for a very enjoyable day at the Mirbeau Spa. We did a day spa package that included a treatment for her (she chose a nice Swedish massage and said it was wonderful), and lunch. We arrived around 10AM and left around 5PM, and enjoyed the amenities of the spa, including the footbath, quiet room, aqua terrace (with an amazing kidney-shaped stone hot tub and waterfall!), and fitness center.

The day was very relaxing and a wonderful, and lunch, despite small portions, was outstanding. My girlfriend commented that she felt like she was vacationing in Europe for the day, which was of course the point! Hats off to to the staff, they were very professional and courteous throughout our stay.

Two minor complaints:

First, we sat outside for lunch, and there were a lot of bees nearby. They didn't bother us too much, but it was a bit annoying. I wish they'd take care of that.

Second, I had to stop by the spa's front desk a couple times to ask where things were, how we used our vouchers, etc., and every time I did I was greeted with "Would you like to check out now?"... instead of a friendlier and less presumptive "How can I help you?" or something along those lines. It wasn't a huge deal, but it did make us feel like they were trying to get rid of us, for whatever reason.

All in all, if you are a day tripper and would like a lovely and relaxing experience, I would highly recommend Mirbeau. Skaneateles is beautiful, and Mirbeau is less than a mile from the village and the lake. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and well-maintained, and it was well worth the $200 for both of us to spend the day.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
houston
Reviewed 1 June 2006

i felt compelled to write this after staying at Mirbeau and reading some of the negative reviews on this site. We absolutely loved Mirbeau - the decor, the service, the rooms, the spa services. the hotel is decorated French country style and the description of the grounds being like a monet painting, though cliche, is true. we had dismal weather, but even that could not detract from the charm of this place. I find it hard to describe Mirbeau as a hotel, because it is not anything like a traditional hotel. The rooms were luxurious with fireplace on time control and claw foot bathtub and king size bed and view of the garden. the elevator on our floor went directly down to the spa which was amazing. there's a relaxation room with foot pool and another huge stone fireplace, the aqua terrace jacuzzi outside on the deck with ANOTHER fireplace. the locker rooms in the spa are as luxurious as the rest of the hotel, with steam room and sauna. the steam is infused with eucalyptus - lovely. everyone was polite and accomodating. we even had our own valet to see to whatever needs we had. we only ate breakfast at the Inn and it was good but a little too fancy for us (we prefer simpler fare for breakfast). a great place to eat, almost right next door is Rosalita's Cucina - italian - great food, service, ambiance, etc. i think skaneatleas is also one of the more picturesque towns in the fingerlakes area - unlike some of the other towns, skaneatleas is right on the lake itself, with waterfront restaurants. there is the Blue Grill (not sure of the name) where we ate dinner which was also pretty good.

Mirbeau is a little pricey, especially on the weekends, the rates go up astronomically. i thought for those prices a few complimentary things could be included. we were offered a fruit and cheese tray and some other appetizers for our arrival, but it was extra, we didn't order it because we weren't sure if we'd be able to eat it, but it would have been a nice touch to have it be included with the price.

i was truly sad to leave Mirbeau and will go back the first opportunity i have.

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank jenninejHouston
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skaneateles
Skaneateles Suites
Inn at the Finger Lakes
The Gould Hotel
The Gould Hotel
#2 of 4 in Seneca Falls

Been to Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles? Share your experiences!