“What you see is what you get”
Review of Birds Nest Motel

Birds Nest Motel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Skaneateles
Reviewed 3 August 2013

If you want a 3, 4 or 5 star hotel this is not the place. If you want a place in a good location that is CHEAP, this is the place. My wife and I stayed there for a week and it was resonably priced but having stayed in a variety of 4 and 5 stars hotels in the past I knew this when I booked it and had no expectations except a bed to sleep on (MAY HAVE HAD BLOOD ON THE SIDE OF THE MATTRESS, IT WAS A RUST COLOR STAIN), and a place to shower but no other type of expectations.

Room Tip: They have newer hotel rooms if you want more but they do cost more.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank eur0peantraveller10

Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I spent six nights at the Birds Nest Motel, we were very happy with the clean, comfortable room, this property isn't new but it is very well maintained. Very quiet at night. The owner and staff are pleasant and helpful. Continental breakfast got our mornings off to a good start. And after a long day seeing the sights the pool is just splendid. And you cannot beat the location! Close Skaneateles Lake - the town is beautiful and to all of the areas tourist attractions, we visited the Erie Canal Museum, Landmark Theatre, and historic Armory area in Syracuse, then motored the west side of Cayuga Lake to Taughannock Falls and State Park near Ithica, also visited Baldwinsville to see the Erie Canal Lock Park and attended then Nationals Cars Show at the NY State Fairgrounds.
We most definitely will make this motel our central location again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This place is so outdated. Rug was dirty.Bathroom shower was a small stall.If I had read reviews prior to booking I would not have stayed. Best thing was location.Close to lake and downtown. No coffee pot in room,no blow dryer or ammenites . Very Rustic.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cas1947
Reviewed 5 July 2013

This was probably the worst hotel stay ever. We stayed in one of the larger rooms in the building next to the main hotel and I should have canceled our stay the moment I walked in the building. It smelled old and musty...truly a pungent smell that kept us up all night. Some dehumidifiers would have helped greatly, but there were none to be seen. The room was sufficiently large and clean, but the beds were obviously very old and very uncomfortable. There were no fitted sheets on the bed and the flat sheet did not stay in place over the mattress (which had no mattress cover ...yuck). There were no extra pillows or blankets and upon request for some, was told that they didn't have any. When I pushed for an explanation, clerk told me she would have to go look in the basement to see if she could find any (didn't give me a warm fuzzy). We used to live in Skaneateles and drove by this hotel a million times. So disappointed by our stay and almost demanded a refund.

Room Tip: Try staying in the main hotel...guessing that we would have been more satisfied without the horrible...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank mamaoffourboys
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I had the misfortune of being on a bike during a heavy rain storm on my way to the Birds Nest. The staff bent over backwards to see that I was able to get both in my room and dried out. The entire stay was wonderful baring the weather. Very much worth the price!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Nancy L
Reviewed 3 December 2012

This place was absolutely awful. The room smelled musty and old (and it was). It was very cold and drafty. It was windy outside and you could feel the draft coming in under the door. When calling the front desk was told that the heat was where it was supposed to be. Thankfully had 2 blankets in the car which came in handy. Looked forward to taking a hot shower to warm up in the morning. Didn't happen. Had about a minute of hot water and it went to cold - ice cold!! Very noisy. The price might be right but the place was a dump. Look elsewhere!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank kateg618
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I read the negative reviews while trying to find a place and decided to try this place anyway. I'm glad my husband and I did because we had a wonderful time. Great family run business - owner stayed late waiting for us; was gracious; room was spacious and shower was perfect. It's not a chain so the rooms are a little dated but they were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Norma C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skaneateles
Skaneateles Suites
#2 of 7 in Auburn
Super 8 Auburn
Super 8 Auburn
#6 of 7 in Auburn

Been to Birds Nest Motel? Share your experiences!