“Fish Fry Perfected”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 6 June 2014

You feel bad for the tourists that are passing by the window and looking in trying to decide if they should come through the door - you just want to yell - yes yes ! - open the door and come in! It's great fish ! If you like fried fish - you'll love Doug's Fish Fry. Up the road just a bit from the lake - no view per se - but super yummy food. Eat inside and enjoy the ambience or take it outside in the back on a lovely day like today. Even if it looks crowded, your food will come out quick and the fish is so flaky and tasty - you'll love it !!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Skaneateles is like a town from a Norman Rockwell time, and one of the attractions we read about was Doug's Fish Fry. It is pretty innocuous in location and front, not ostentatious or self-proclaiming. But wow!
This is a bare-bones, down-home kinda place. You get on line (or in line, if that is where you are from) and peruse the menu overhead to see what you want. I didn't want fries, and didn't have to get them.
I had fried fish and cole slaw. The fish was absolutely perfect. A large portion, way too big for the roll (which was fine), it was moist, flaky and the batter was crisp and tasty. Not too salty, either.
When the pleasant young server takes your order on the line, that is when your order is cooked, not before. You wait, and someone calls your name when your order is ready.
The cole slaw was a mix of cabbages, also a nice touch. Only thing I would say that I wish I knew was what kind of fish...I was not sure if it was haddock or cod or hake or...the type is not listed anywhere.
The ice cream? Can't remember the name of the brand (I'm old....cute, but old!) but I tasted coconut chocolate almond and chocolate with....oooo, now I forget, but it had nuts and cherries? I thought heaven had opened its gates.
We sat on a bench outside, chatting with another woman who is a very frequent visitor, and all in all, Doug's. Became a perfect place to be on a summer evening!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We were told of Doug's by several locals in the Auburn area this was THE place to have fish in the area. We weren't disappointed. Ample parking in the back and easily ordered. Granted the line inside curled around a bit but there was a method to their madness. People in line were friendly as was the people on the other side of the counter. Obviously the people there knew the routine! The line actually gave us time to scan over the extensive menu and gave us a chance to figure out what we wanted which wasn't easy. There wasn't any pressure; it was cool, calm and friendly whether you had been there for the 100th time or first timers. Once the order was placed, we got to mill around the waiting area, and watch all of the others come by to get their orders.

While it wasn't the best fish we've ever had, it was definitely worth the wait. It was a decent value and a really fun experience. Afterwards- just wander around the area as it's really really beautiful. Doug's has earned a solid reputation with great service and superb food.

1  Thank Smogboy315
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I have been going to Doug's since I was a kid. It has never let me down. I have been to many fish places over the years and this is by far the best one. The fries are homemade and fish is always delicious and juicy never dried out like other places I have been. Also, the tarter sauce is amazing. I just wish they would sell it in a jar or something. I would buy gallons of it.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Casual, order at a window and pick up your order when ready. Great fish fry! Fast service! Plenty of tables!

1  Thank citibandit