“Very Small Bathroom”
Review of Sherwood Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Skaneateles
Sherwood Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Skaneateles
Stamford, Connecticut
“Very Small Bathroom”
Reviewed 3 November 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Sherwood Inn two years ago and liked it so much we decided to stay there again on our way to Buffalo to visit relatives. Overall we still like the location, atmosphere, restaurants and service at the inn and recommend it highly but we must comment on the room we happened to choose this time. The room itself (#35) was small, which, while not great, was passable but the bathroom had to be the smallest we have ever seen in all of our travels in the United States. There was barely enough room for the bath/shower, commode and a very tiny sink let alone accomodate a person. We asked for another room but none was available (they had a full house on a Wednesday). On our first visit we had a good size room with a nice bathroom and expected all of the rooms to be more or less the same. This review was written solely to inform the travelling public to inquire about the size of the room and especially the bathroom. We would stay again at the Sherwood Inn but avoid room #35.

• Liked — Location, character and atmosphere of a genuine old inn
  • Disliked — Size of the room especially the bathroom
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dianders

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 10 September 2007

A week after I booked my room directly with the hotel (and paid for it) I received a letter in the mail stating my reservation had been canceled. The girl answering the phone assured me it was just a clerical error and I had merely been mailed the wrong form letter.

I arrived at the hotel at 10:30pm. I was checked in quickly, dropped my bag in the room (I'll get to the room) and headed back downstairs for something to eat. There was no food. Not in the restaurant, not at the bar and there was no room service. Ok.

So I went back to the room, the biggest, best room (#41) they had when I booked. I gave up the view of the lake for this grand suite. This room was not 200sf. There was hardly room to walk around the bed. The sitting area was a table, 2 small chairs and a 13" TV. The bathroom was very small as well and all of it needed updating badly.

I understand this is a landmark and I knew that when I booked. Still, there is no reason this hotel could not be made into a four or even 5 star property without loosing one bit of it's historical value.

At 7:00 am I went downstairs for the breakfast (included) and some espresso. They had not yet set up the continental breakfast. After waiting 20 minutes for them to finish and someone to actually speak to me I ordered a double espresso. 10 minutes later I was told there was no one there who knew how to operate the machine. I left.

I spent 3 nights in this hotel and it never got better. The people at the front counter seemed genuinely concerned but unable to fix anything. The bar staff was very good.

One night we had a dinner reservation at 7:00 pm and were seated around 7:30. We did not have our drink order taken until after 8pm. Two of our party of 7 just left. This is certainly not the place to do business.

Bottom line is this is a 2 star hotel. Sorry, but nothing short of new owners with big bank accounts could fix the Sherwood Inn. Please note that I waited a full week to write this review as to make sure I wasn't still angry about my stay.

• Liked — Wireless internet in the lobby.
  • Disliked — To much to list here.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank rcullet
New Jersey
Reviewed 7 July 2007

This is one of our favorite places to stay in the world!
Really! You can go to The Sherwood Inn any time of year and you will have a perfect stay!
The brunch is also great and you sit on this beautiful porch- you are looking out on the 2nd cleanest lake in North America. (The first is in Alaska) Be sure to get a treat at the patesseri behind The Sherwood. Rent Conoes or Kyacks from the another hotel on Jordan Street. Enjoy a cruise on Mid Lakes Navigation Boat docked at the lake-
Oh we just love it there.
We actually had our wedding at The Sherwood and we had an amazing exerience.
We can't wait to go back!

• Liked — the beautiful lake, antiques, food, friedly people/staff
  • Disliked — spending any money
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
upstate NY
Reviewed 4 July 2007

Nice place to stay! Each room is different and the ambience is lovely. The downside is the beds are hard as rocks and the pillows are pretty flat. We had breakfast the next day in the restaurant which was ok.
Very clean. Staff nice.

1 Thank ddifondi
Lancashire
Reviewed 12 June 2007

The Sherwood Inn is a delightful place. Our only regret was that we had only booked a one night stop-over on our recent tour of upstate NY.
The hotel more than lived up to the promise of its excellent web-site. (What a great idea to let you see inside each room). We were offered an upgrade to a wonderful corner room at the front.
At dinner we had the best of all the steaks we ate on our 16 day trip. The breakfast was better than any we had elsewhere.

• Liked — The individuality and high standard.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Darrenner
Plattsburgh, New York
Reviewed 8 June 2007

My wife and I just returned from a two day conference at the Sherwood Inn in Skaneateles. There were about 70 attendees and their spouses. Our association meets once a year in New York and this is the first time the event had ever been held at the Sherwood Inn. Everyone raved about the Inn. The hospitality was incredible. First, it is located in the lovely village of Skaneateles, a short distance southwest from Syracuse on the northern tip of Lake Skaneateles, one of New York's Finger Lakes. It is a neat little town, in both the literal and figurative sense, a perfect town in which to take a stroll. The Inn is right across the street from the Lake. The dock for the tour boat is right there and in the summer there are various boat tours one can take. The downtown has many cute shops and restaurants.
Now to the Inn. I would call it a quintessential inn--just what one would conjure up when one hears the word "inn". There is a nice tavern with great beer selections on tap and a good menu. We had a room on the front of the building looking out on the Lake. It was big with two easy chairs in front of a gas fireplace. Not everyone in our group could get a room at the Sherwood Inn and some were assigned to the Packwood Inn which is also owned by the Sherwood Inn. It is just three buildings down the street and those who stayed there loved it. Guests there still check in and out at the Sherwood Inn. It makes up the top two floors of a brick building housing a Talbot's on the ground floor. It is more modern than the Sherwood and the rooms on the top floor front have a balcony looking out on the Lake. I would definitely recommend this establishment as well as Skaneateles. We were told that on the weekend after Thanksgiving and every weekend thereafter untll Christmas, the town puts on a Dickens festival with townspeople dressing up as Dickens' characters. I hope we can go back for that.

• Liked — spacious and charming rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Northcountryman
Essex
Reviewed 8 June 2007

We stayed at The Sherwood Inn in Skaneateles for the second time in May and it was every bit as good as we remembered it. It is a charming hotel with a more personal feel to it than the larger chain hotels. The free continental breakfast exceeded my expectations with a wonderful choice of pastries from the pattisserie behindi the hotel, scrambled egg, cheese, ham, bread, fresh fruit, cereals etc - all served up in the beautiful porch area facing Lake Skaneateles.

Both times we've stayed there the rooms have been excellent and well furnished. I hope to return again next year.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skaneateles
Skaneateles Suites
#5 of 7 in Skaneateles
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn
Inn at the Finger Lakes
Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles

Been to Sherwood Inn? Share your experiences!