“Awesome Environment! ”

Ranked #18 of 36 Restaurants in Skaneateles
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

This cozy restaurant is located about 8 miles south of Skaneateles on the east side of the lake. My girlfriend and I snowmobiled here on a Saturday night for dinner. It was a quite evening with only about 6 people in the whole restaurant/tavern. The staff was very welcoming and polite. The food was good but nothing extravagant. My girlfriend has a bad allergy to gluten; the staff was very knowledgable on the gluten allergy and informed us of the options that could be prepared gluten free. Overall a wonderful evening.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

It was a cold winter night and we expected to have a half empty restaurant... but did make reservations, and it's a good thing we did! The place was busy in both the tavern area and the dining room. That did make for a little slower service, but we had no place to go. We started with the steamed clams that were plump and juicy...but it was the broth of tomatoes, onions and bacon that stole the show. They were served with spoons, but we asked for extra bread to sop up all of that fabulous broth. For entrees we had Colorado Lamb Chops, cooked perfectly and sided with red potatoes and a dill-sour cream dressing and the always fantastic spinach. Our other choice was the special of rib eye and lobster tail, again done perfectly with the same sides. Dessert was a warm chocolate, pecan tart with ice cream to top it off. Warm, gooey and delicious! One to share was plenty. Our service was professional and warm with only 2 waitresses for the evening and a bus person. They all helped out where needed.
Skaneateles has many good restaurants, but the 1820 House has the best chef with the most creativity. Worth the trip from anywhere in the Finger Lakes.

Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I decided to go out for a night without the children. I have wanted to try this restaurant for a while since we moved to Skaneateles and I read about the establishment. The restaurant is rustic we were sat next to a gas or oil heating unit. I would have asked for a different table but after reading the reviews on this restaurant I figured the staff might have gotten snippy. My wife is normally cold but we both were cooking from the heat the entire time. We both got the French Onion soup and we both enjoyed it. We had to order sparkling water because the tap water tasted like bad well water. Not a big deal as it is a country style restaurant. I had the filet and my wife had the scallop and pasta special. My filet was not bad not good, I only ate a few bites. My wife tried to eat her dish but it had a very strong fish smell. I think the scallops may have been canned??? The prices were not bad we each had soup, wine, and a main course for $98 plus tip. The waitress was friendly, but we were not impressed with the food.

2  Thank AMPED37
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We brought business associates. The food was fantastic. We are so lucky to have a world class chef in this area. Rich and Christy run the restaurant and do a great job. Yes, we will return often.

1  Thank Mason W
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Recently we ate there. upon entering there were some empty tables and seating at the bar. we were told we needed a reservation which we didnt have but it was around 8pm. There were 2 men at the bar eating and said they would try to get us a table since they were regulars. They finally said we could get a table but food was limited because they only cook so much for the night but that was ok we wanted to stay. The waitress recited off the total menu . i wanted the steak but omit the lobster tail . We told her upon ordering that i have a seafood allergy. When the bill came it was 38.00 for the steak which i thought was high with no lobster. we asked her if she could make an adjustment. Then we also explained that it was suppose to come with red potatoes because she recited it as so We werent rude to her just thought i am only ordering a steak. She got so mad totally caught us off guard and left then brought the bill back and said I hope that makes you whole" she made an adjustment on the bill which was the right thing to do but her attitude was really rude. We liked the food that wasnt the issue but really treat your customers like that??

3  Thank thatsarap