“An Amazing Retreat So Close To Home”

Jamesport Bay Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Jamesport
Huntington, New York
“An Amazing Retreat So Close To Home”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I hesitate to write this review, because now that I've experienced it, I don't want to share this special place with anyone. A freind of my recommended this place to us, so I'm going to pay it forward. We went this past weekend with our 5-year old son. In summary, my son cried, real tears, when it was time to go. I didn't want to go either. This place is not luxurious. This is no 4 star hotel. But, it is not a dive. It is clean. The woman at the front desk was very nice. The other guests at the hotel were very, very nice.

The apartment we stayed in was great. It had two bedrooms and two bathrooms (with bathtubs), an full eat-in kitchen (complete with pots and pans, cutlery and dishes, microwave, full-sized fridge, and a toaster), a living room with two big couches and a huge flat screen tv, and a fabulous, fabulous deck. Not a tiny balcony, a big, family-sized deck. The view was amazing from morning until night. I only have one complaint and that is that the bed in the master was uncomfortable. It was hard. But, I just made a mental note to pack some things that will easily alleviate that on the next trip.

The Peconic Bay is perfection for young people and/or non-smimmers (when the tide is low). You could go out for yards and yards and still be only waist deep in the water. We will be back again and again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Suzanne746

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Venice, Florida
Reviewed 23 August 2012

This is a 2 Star property with a 5 Star location. Located right on the Great Peconic Bay on the North Shore of eastern Long Island. New bathrooms, but beds & appliances in the suites needed to be replaced. A place out of the 50's/60's. Rooms are swept with a broom & not vacuumed. Definitely paying for the water view & swimming & not the facilities. Close to wineries, breweries, the Long Island Sound & the ocean.

Room Tip: The bigger suite which cost about $20 more has about twice as much floor space.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marty B
New York
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We were invited to go to the many wineries on the North Shore with friends who said they stay at Motel on the Bay. We decided to meet them there. We were lucky enough to have warm sunny days this week-end in October. When my husband and I arrived we decided to upgrade our room to Room #10. We were impressed with this room because of the balcony steps away from the Peconic. During our stay we so enjoyed having meals on the balcony with our friends, while taking in the amazing views of the Peconic. You are literally steps away from the Peconic Bay. Our room had an eat in kitchen/ Living room and a separate bedroom, so accomodations were comfortable.The room is outdated but most important it was clean. This place wasn't anything like that filthy timeshare in Cocoa Beach Florida, which I previously reviewed. The staff is very accomodating and friendly.The grounds this motel is on are impeccably kept.This is not the Ritz, as there is nothing fancy about it. However, I could live with out the luxury and be happy in love with this Motel on the Bay! I look forward to returning next season with my husband for another great friends get away.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank trublue09
Reviewed 8 September 2011

July14 could not come quick enough for me this year! I was going "home" to my vacation paradise. This would be my third time in one year. All I can say is that I have found the North Fork's little secret. The moment you walk on the lush green quad, you know this place is special. It is the ideal family vacation spot. Children and adults play an assortment of games on the quad all with a beautiful view of the bay. And it seems that the regulars that come, show up at the same time each year so it is as if the guests are extended family. What a feeling! There's always a s'mores night where we all gather and they always taste the best there. Maybe it's the sea air.
The staff is very welcoming. I will enter the office and they will say my name before I even open my mouth. They are very accommodating. Last year, my stove did not work very well. This year I had a brand new stove in my unit. Housekeeping? They go beyond. Anything I need, they will get for me. They have lovingly nicknamed my family as the "snowman" people because we bring a stuffed snowman for one of the beds (long story). The room is old, but comfortable and clean and nothing beats the view. I always rent unit D. To me, it is the best room on the second floor. Just sitting on the porch, looking at the bay, gives reason enough. The showers are hot and have plenty of pressure. I had a brand new cot for my niece to sleep on. Thank God there was an air conditioner because we were there when the City hit 106 degrees. It didn't make the room cold but we were comfortable enough.
The beach is perfect if you have young children. The sandy part is on top of the bulkhead. You can't run directly in the water. You must go down some steps to enter the bay. Make sure you know when it will be high and low tide. When it is low tide, the water is EXTREMELY shallow. When it is this low, the water is not refreshing and unfortunately you can get stung by pink jellyfish. However it never stop my family or me from entering the water. High tide is wonderful. The water was warm and the jellyfish were no where to be found. I even went night swimming and watching the orange moon rise from the water, it's breath-taking!
I spent almost two weeks there and I will absolutely return next July. Beware of splinters on the stairs and handrails. Their barbeques were new this year, but bring the Matchlight charcoal. As I said in a previous review of Motel on the Bay, this place is not for everyone. This a wonderful family vacation place. If you are looking for luxury, go somewhere else. Everyone, whether guests or staff, are friendly. I cannot say that the rates are inexpensive because they are not. However, if you were to price all the vacation places on the East End of Long Island, the rates are fair. I love coming here. I am comfortable here and that is most important to me. To the staff, thank you. The "snowman" people will be back in July!

• Stayed July 2011
4 Thank BunkieDi
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 August 2011

My children and I were visiting family on Long island, and we enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Motel on the Bay in South Jamesport. The property is right on Peconic Bay and has a beautiful beach right outside the door. When you are traveling with children, it is so nice to be right on the beach. We had a full kitchen and were able to make breakfast and lunch. When we could drag ourselves away from the beach, we watched sunsets from the deck, shopped, and visited wineries with friends. Across the street from the motel in the Bayview Inn Restaurant. It is very convenient and the food is outstanding. They have a sunset special dinner which is a great deal. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank luvLI
Reviewed 15 September 2010

I first came here in July with my family of 4. I rented Suite D. Even before I opened the door, I stood on the balcony admiring the breath taking view. The room was very clean and the rooms spacious. The beds were comfortable, the couch, not so much. Our stove only had two working burners which made cooking dinner difficult. But we made due and the staff was very helpful and friendly. But Motel on the Bay is not about the decor. If you want a resort, then don't come here. This place is about family and the beach! There is a large grass quad for children to run around and have fun. The beach has soft sand with the bay below it. This provides a safe play area so that kids can't get swept away by the waves. There are plenty of lounge chairs too. It just is so beautiful there. I was only supposed to stay a week, but I didn't want to leave so I added two more days to my trip. When I finally left, I immediately booked a long weekend in September. I just left today and I'm happy to say that you can go back again. I rented the same suite. The couch and stove still had their issues, but it didn't matter. When I am here I feel welcome, as if I belong here. I found my little piece of heaven. You have to experience it. This is not about luxury. The rates are fair but we all would like lower prices. But if you want a friendly, comfortable, family oriented vacation place, then Motel on the Bay is for you! It's a shame summer is over. I have to wait until next July to come "home" again. To the staff, thank you! I will be back!

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank BunkieDi
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Would not recommend. The grounds and location are lovely but nothing else is good. The place is dilapidated and needs a massive infusion of dollars to make it comfortable. Our bed mattress sagged and was only an inch or 2 off the ground. The hide-a-bed couch was so broken down it came to a "V" in the middle and actually touched the ground. The radiator in the bathroom was covered with rust and the air conditioner vents were caked with dust. The only amenities were 3 tiny bars of soap in the bathroom - no hair dryer, no shampoo. The draw pull on one drawer was broken and hanging. Circuit breaker blew when air conditioner and hair dryer (my own) were used at the same time. The TV remote didn't work. If we hadn't been there for a family event, I would have asked for my money back as soon as I saw the room. Roof in desperate need of repair. I'd be afraid to eat there. Next time I'll use www.vrbo.com (vacation rental by owner).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Harborfront Inn at Greenport
Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead
Holiday Inn Express East End
Cliffside Resort Condominiums

Been to Jamesport Bay Suites? Share your experiences!