“Warm and Wonderful”
Review of 1708 House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southampton
1708 House
Ranked #2 of 6 Southampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 April 2011

We have stayed at the 1708 House many times over a two year period, so my review is based on multiple visits. Our experience has always been the same. The rooms are clean and very pleasant, and the owners and employees are very friendly and helpful. It's like returning to someone's home you know--- there are always cookies and snacks, wine, and coffee available. Breakfast in the morning is cheerful, fresh, and well presented. We have been there during every season, and always enjoyed the experience. On a cold winter's night, the wine cellar is especially cozy and inviting. I would highly recommend the 1708 House if you are looking for an authentic bed and breakfast experience. It is also very centrally located and convenient to what the Hamptons has to offer.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HonestEvaluator

Reviewed 10 August 2010

The 1708 House is a Hidden Gem in the heart of Southampton. You simply can't beat its location which is a stone's throw from the best shopping and restaurants in town yet 1708 house has the relaxed feel of a B and B located miles from town. The rooms were clean and comfortable, we have small children and loved the cottages and large grassy area behind the hotel. The great breakfast and very helpful friendly staff reminded my wife and I how nice it is to stay and a small itimate B and B as opposed to the more typical large hotel we often visit. Coopers beach, a beautiful beach, is only a mile away and the free parking pass the hotel gave us made it easy to get in and out with our kids. We really enjoyed the 1708 House and will recomend it to anyone visiting Hamptons

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2010

This was my bf and I's first time at the Hamptons. He tried to research as much as he could to give me the best getaway possible. I can't say how much I was impressed with the location and the well kept property they had. It was very close to their "downtown" where all the shopping and restaurants are. So A+ there. Great appearance inside the place too. The place was charming. Love the wine and cheese at 3pm, free bottled waters, drinks, etc.

Okay so here is the real deal. We decided to go there where NY was having some of its warmest week (hot hot hot!!) which was perfect because I wanted to lay out at the beach all day. We walk in our room and I already noticed it was hot. And for those of you that don't know EAST COAST hot, it comes with lots and lots of humidity as well. So the nice lady (who was a worker there) told us it will get cooler because the AC on our side weren't on. So I didn't mind because as soon as we checked in, we got dressed to go to the beach.

After our beach visit we came back to our hotel to get ready for dinner. I noticed the thermometer still said 83 degrees??? I thought I was just being sun-delirious when I saw this. So as my bf was taking a shower, I walked downstairs and asked what was going on. They said ok we will have it fixed by the time you get home from dinner. After dinner, we came back and still on 83 degrees. By this time I was kinda getting annoyed. Because they didn't even bother to write a note stating the issue or leaving us a message about what is going on???? So my bf tried to make it better by just saying well its just really hot maybe, but after sitting on our bed for 10min (which by the way the sheets had a certain musty smell on them which you could really smell in an 83 degree humid room!!!) I coudn't take it anymore.

As I was taking my shower my bf talked to the lady (maybe she was like the owners daughter or something) and said they were gonna try to get us a fan. Tic toc tic toc. No phone calls or news about the situation and this was going on 1am already!!!!! Finally I had it and went downstairs...they have a note stating if you have a problem call a certain extension...I did and no answer...went back up to my room again...and down again...called again no answer... I did this routine for like 4 times. To my surprise someone finally picked up on my 5th try!!!! The old OWNER man answered (you can tell I woke him up) and I told him the problem. He put me on hold for like 5 minutes!! And i'm not making this up because the phone I used had this timer thing on!!! I can hear commotion on the other line and footsteps next to the phone...After the 6th minute, the owner lady come out with what seemed like her daughter of some sort. The daughter looked like she was pissed I called them on that hour and the older lady was just whatever.

The older lady tried to switch us right away to what was called the honeymoon suite I think and it was big and still warm (78degrees to be exact). As the daughter was looking up which rooms were available the older lady went up with me to our room to check our thermometer. Which by the way, there were no apologies to what the hell happened to our fan that was being looked for, nor apologies to why the heck its taking this long to figure out what happened, OR apologies why NO ONE even called us back to give us some type of updates!! So whatever...The older lady went inside our room and (get this) said oh it feels fine in here. I don't like to sleep really cold anyways..??????!!!! It was 83 degrees in our room plus humidity!!!! I don't even sleep in my own home at 80!!!! I kept my cool and told her, no this is unacceptable because its not comfortable to sleep like this.

Finally the daughter came back and upgraded us to the 3rd floor. But then told us that this room was booked the next day so if we can check out of it when we get up and just take showers back down to our old room!!! Oh did I forget to mention its like 2am plus at this time????!!!!!!! And the room still needed lots of time to cool down. Because when we got in there it said 76!!!! Oh dear lord heavens! I wish I can say the horror ends here, but no. 30 min. into trying to get to bed. My bf feels something on the bed, I thought he was just being funny. We turned on the lights and guess what? Yup a huge bed bug of some kind was on our bed sheets!!! We both just rolled our eyes and just said NEVER AGAIN. The temperature did go down but now we couldn't use the sheets so I guess karma was on us because we slept with our feet freezing! LOL

I think what saved our cool this entire trip was that they hire some really nice people. I wish I could remember those two ladies' names. But unfortunately they only work during the day time. By the way, in case you were wondering, NO they did not offer any type of FREE anything nor anything off our bill during all the inconvenience they put us through.

Its really too bad because the place inside and out is really charming. I love the "homey" feel and how you can just go downstairs to the kitchen and just get water just like it would be if you were home. Too bad though that the whole package did not come together for us as far as customer service friendly especially at the price we paid per night.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Shankteezl
Management response:Responded 17 May 2011

We apologize for not addressing your review sooner. Please be assured we take complaints very seriously and take every opportunity to rectify problems. We understand a guest's frustrations when their stay does not meet their expectations.

As a luxurious historic inn, which has the honor of being included in the 2011 edition of Conde Nast's Johansens Recommended Hotels, Inns and Spas, all of us at The 1708 House aim to meet our guests' needs and provide them with a relaxing and enjoyable experience. We know that it may not be possible to please everyone all the time, but we strive to do our best to ensure warm and welcoming hospitality.

We invite you to contact us to discuss your past stay. For those of you who have not yet visited, we welcome you to come and experience all our property has to offer.

Reviewed 20 July 2010

The 1708 House is a beautiful, charming and warm B&B. The rooms are quiet, clean and beautifully decored, the location is perfect for shopping, restaurants and attractions. The sea is about 20-30 minuts away, but if you take the car is an easy 5 minute drive. I don't understand why others found the owners so cold and unpleasant. We thought they were really nice and welcoming, especially Lorraine. And in any case we did not go there to meet the owners but to enjoy our weekend! The breakfast is nice and another really good perk is that the kitchen is open for guests to get a cold drink or a snack at no extra charge any time of the day and night.
We had a wonderful romantic weekend and can't wait to get back there!
the only negative is that there is no pool, and it would have been really nice to enjoy some relaxing time by the pool.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2010

I want to start off saying I have traveled all over the world and have stayed at many different hotels and b&b for my job in PR. I also go on trip advisor but never felt the need to write a review till now. I have never had such a disturbing and horrible experience till I stayed at 1708 House in South Hampton. The owners of the B&B are the most rude and hostile people I have ever met. My friend and I needed to extend our stay and they were happy to book us a room for an extra night. When the extra day came they said we never had the conversation and didn't know what we were talking about. We made the reservation face to face, we discussed rates and confirmed which room we would be taking. They wrote our names in front of us in the reservation book. When we nicely confronted them they got very abusive to the point I felt physically unsafe. Also, the day before we heard them in a screaming match with another guest over the phone denying knowledge of their reservation. They refused to let us have our belongings that were in our room and physically blocked me from getting my bags. These people are truly psychotic and deranged.
bottom line...southampton has been somewhere i have spent most summers through out my life. i can say its is a wonderful place to visit and i would not want anyone to have to encounter an experience with these lunatics.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
8  Thank BETjUD222
Management response:Responded 17 May 2011

Reviewed 18 April 2010

We (my boyfriend and I, my mother and her friend) were delighted to have been so well-accomodated in the 1708 House on extremely short notice. Our particular desires and needs (dietary and otherwise) were attended to with plenty of grace and flexibility. The rooms are each charming and special, enticing one to explore them all. The house itself is quite a historic treat, as one can see from all the well-displayed centuries-old artifacts, and as we learned during an impromptu detailed, narrated tour by the proprietor. The wine cellar holds the secrets of many generations, apparently. We made a point to spend some time in each of the public rooms, furnished with books, nooks, fireplace, menus, and curiosities. The proprietors were available and personable, but unintrusive.

Breakfast was beautifully presented and fresh, and the little chocolates in the sitting rooms hit the spot before a nice run to the beach.

This place was an unexpectedly happy discovery.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2010

I read the other reviews re: the lack of hospitality from the owners/staff. Skip & Lorraine (owners) are great, very friendly and want to get to know the guests. There was one blonde woman who was outright rude to us, we were (pretty quietly) checking out the living room fireplace at 10pm - she interrogated us to see if we belonged to be there. I'm guessing she was the one who took our phone reservation, which was also chilly.

We stayed in Room 8, which was "2nd Floor Deluxe". The room was gorgeous. All the furniture was beautifully restored and matching, the bathroom was really nice with full amenities. I have never seen such a clean bed and breakfast before, the attention to detail was amazing. The whole house has beautiful antiques and the walls has old newspaper clippings, it really was like a musuem. And the wine cellar was definitely the coolest part of the house, it's beautifully decorated and I have never seen anything like it before.

I stayed here from recommendation of NY Times travel guide - good choice! Great weekend, it was unseasonably warm and sunny this weekend and we drove out to East/Bridge Hampton for lunch and dinner

Would definitely recommend this place as an easy getaway from NYC for the weekend. I asked about the summer rates, they are astronomical - but that's the Hamptons. This place is really nice. They have some cottages in the back which would be great for families or a group of friends.

Tip: use the driving directions posted on their website (www.1708house.com), Google Maps gave us something different and we got lost. Also, check out nearby Fowler Beach which does not require permit or residence

Breakfast not that impressive, but they have a very nice spread of chocolate, cheese, fruits and coffee all day

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple