“Can't imagine a better way to experience the Hamptons”
Review of Mainstay Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southampton
Mainstay Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Southampton B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Can't imagine a better way to experience the Hamptons”
Reviewed 14 June 2010

My girlfriend and I were looking for a place to stay during our first trip to the Hamptons. We came across the Mainstay via the web. The location seemed great and the prices very reasonable. When we called, Elizabeth was friendly and helpful.

So here is what I have to report after a weekend at the Mainstay.
- The location is ideal. An easy walk to the center of town and the beaches.
- Elizabeth was so friendly and had a range of great recommendations
- The breakfast smelled delicious. To be honest we slept right through it both days - probably a function of the comfortable beds and homey rooms.

The Mainstay was a great choice for our first trip to the Hamptons and we will certainly be back!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Hyde Park, New York
Reviewed 2 June 2010

We were pleasantly surprised at our stay at the Mainstay. Our weekend at the Inn was teriffic! This is not your standard Bed & Breakfast. Elizabeth, the owner met us at the door and essentially informed us the Inn was our own place for the weekend. Beautifully decorated, the Inn has that warm and cozy feel that tells you this is a place you will remember. We had a great time in Southampton at the Red Bar and the Tuscan House. Best of all was the Inn itself. Can't say enough things about this rambling old house. We will be going back in the Autum for the change of leaves. Thanks Elizabeth!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
ericwheeler
Reviewed 27 August 2009

The Mainstay Inn is a hidden jewel, one of my most memorable places I’ve been to thus far. When you walk into The Mainstay, you’re not quite sure what to expect, but as soon as you meet Elizabeth the owner, you know you’re in good hands. We stayed in Room 5, The Master Suite. It has a very eclectic & country feel to it, perfect for a weekend in the Hamptons. The gardens and pool and amazing, we felt like Hansel and Gretel. The ocean, restaurants, bars, clubs and everything else you’ll need is 5 minutes away. I would recommend The Mainstay Inn to everyone I like, others I would send down the street… Elizabeth, we heart you.

Eric and Sonya

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Washington, DC
Reviewed 24 August 2009

My boyfriend and I decided to head to Southampton for the weekend. We enjoyed our accomodations, breakfast and the fabulous pool. I definitely would recommend this inn. You are guaranteed a clean and environmentally friendly room. The owner of the property is also very lovely and the resident poodle, Talula, is a doll.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Upper Nyack, NY
Reviewed 18 August 2009

If location is the key in buying real estate, it certainly also is the key in choosing a vacation destination. Mainstay's location in the heart of the Southampton estate area, just blocks from Gin Lane and the Ocean is the only place I would stay in the Hamptons. Not for me the noisy conjestion of Rt. 27, aka Montauk Highway. The Mainstay is an easy bicylcle ride from the wonderful shops on Jobs Lane or the incredible Atlantic beaches the Hamptons are so reknown for. My daughter and I have been hiking over to the ocean for a brisk walk every morning before breakfast for over a dozen years. And breakfast... For a person who "doesn't do breakfast" at home, I look forward to the incredible, fool proof "make it yourself" waffles every summer along with the variety of fresh fruit, the best coffee and juice, and always - a homemade treat like blue berry muffins, banana bread, or the like.
This B&B is so charming, so what the Hamptons should be. Furnished in antiques and paintings by the owner, this place oozes charm. The garden pool, surrounded with wildflowers, arbors, hydrangeas, magnolias is just the place to wind down after a day of shopping, ocean swimming, or touring. Elizabeth Main, the innkeeper is the perfect hostess who makes one feel welcome and an old friend, while giving guests their space and privacy.
We've been coming here for so many years and have stayed in several rooms. One is more delightful than another, they're all great. I've been recommending The Mainstay to my friends at home for years and decided it was time to share our wonderful little secret with the world. It is the quintessential Hamptons retreat. The Hamptons as they were meant to be, before the mulit-milliondollar maxi-mansions took over so much of the real estate. Nestled out of the way on Hill Street, in an authentic neighborhood, close to the sea and town, this is the place to be in "the Hamptons." Great value for the money. Worthy of the many page spread The Mainstay received in Good Housekeeping magazine years ago. The place keeps getting better each year. We use it as our homebase as we explore the rest of the South Fork.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
New York, NY
Reviewed 17 August 2009

The Mainstay is the best hidden secret of the Hamptons! Tucked into the estate neighborhood of Southampton, just a few miles from the beach and the beautiful town of Southampton you'll find The Mainstay. It's a beautiful classic house that continues to be made more beautiful each year by the home's owner/inn keeper. The feel of the B&B is that of the famous Shabby Chic designer -calming cool colors used throughout the home with lots of florals and antiques, it truly feels like a beach house should. The grounds are fantastic with an abundance of hydranda, black eyed susan and wild flowers. There is also a great in-ground pool in the backyard surrounded by flowers and chaise lounges and chairs. A great way to relax in the afternoon sun after a day of shopping in town.
I've been visiting The MainStay for years with my mother and we are in love with this B&B! It is such a relaxing and comfortable place to stay -it feels like a second home to us. The owner/inn keeper Elizabeth and her help are charming, laidback and helpful. They make sure that you feel at home. The rooms have very comfortable beds and linens and most if not all rooms have air conditioning. My mother and I usually try to stay in Room #2 with twin beds and a shared bath. The room works really well for us and we've never had a problem sharing the bath with the other two rooms that share it. I've stayed in other rooms as well that have their own private baths and those rooms have been even more special and larger. I don't think you can go wrong with any of The Mainstay's rooms to tell the truth.
Each morning we'll go for a walk before breakfast -either right out the door of The Mainstay to view the beautiful estates that surround the B&B or we'll get in the car and drive 4 minutes down the street to the beach and walk the beach! It's even doable to walk to the beach from The MainStay although in the heat it can be a bit of a walk...
After a walk, it's onto enjoying a delicious breakfast set-out on the dining room table of the inn. Always a favorite are the waffles -the batter is just the best! You make them yourself and also help yourself to seasonal fruit and bread set-out along with delicious coffee and juice. It's a fabulous breakfast that gets us ready to set-out on our great adventures of the day.
The Mainstay is in a great location! A few minutes from the town of Southampton with its wonderful shops and fabulous restaurants. And it's also close to Sag Harbor, East Hampton, Water Mill, Bridgehampton -only about a half hour drive to the furthest of those towns (East Hampton) so you can enjoy each of these towns. And one of the best beaches in the Hamptons (Coopers Beach) is literally four minutes from The Mainstay.
I would highly recommend The MainStay. Staying here, you feel as if you are really authentic, staying within the "real" Hamptons! And it's such a charming and cozy place to stay. You'll feel relaxed and re-energized after a stay at The Mainstay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 14 August 2009

I was not happy with our stay. Individually the issues I had with the inn were not too bad but collectivly it makes for a not so great experience.

First, I called to find out availability and I was told the room was $295/night. I said I would discuss with by boyfriend and call back. When I called back the next day the man that I spoke with said the room was $325. He said he did not have the authority to change the price (understandably) but if I wanted to proceed and make the reservation he would "make note' of it in the confirmation email that this is what I was quoted and then we could discuss with innkeeper upon arrival. Due to the fact that we were booking this trip last minute I made the reservation for fear of not getting a room because every other place in town was booked. Minutes later when I got the email confermation no mention of the price. We never did say anything when we got there because we were just so relieved to have found a place but nothing was ever said on their end. This type of thing wouldn't normally bother me too much except this was on top of the following......

Our room was dirty. I could run my finger through the dust on all the table tops including the shelf over the bathroom. The shower still had used soap in the soap holder and a half used shampoo bottle. Obviously if they hadn't noticed that then how well had the shower been cleaned? The room was so so small. In fairness they did tell me this was the smallest room but it was really, really small.... the bed took up most of the room and two of us couldn't even fit in the bathroom at the same time. The towels were very old and mismatched. The air conditioner barely worked. The bathroom had one tiny little lamp on the side of the mirror. This didn't bother my boyfriend but its hard to put makeup on and get dressed with minimul lighting.

We were also upset because we came home one afternoon from the beach to find our door was wide open. We were staying in a room with a seperate entrance to the house so anyone could have walked in! I had all my jewelry, my computer etc in the room and housekeeping left the door open for who knows how long.

Further, I didn't even feel like I was staying in a B & B. I felt like I was staying in someones home....on my own. Some people may prefer this but for me paying $325/night I wanted to be treated a bit better. For example, we were never shown to our room. We were given a key and told which direction to go. There is no "front desk" as you might find in another hotel/inn. What I mean by that is you don't call someone if you have a question about somthing in the room, a recommendation for a restaurant etc. You call the innkeepers cell and if she anwsers great and if she doens't then you're out of luck. A couple of times I needed something and went looking for her and then finally called and got no anwser. I didn't bother leaving a message because at that point it was too late.

Breakfast really made me mad for the money spent and what we got. I've been to many other B & B's where you are either served breakfast or there is a buffet..... not here. The breakfast is laid out on the kitchen table and its do it yourslef. One out of the three mornings we were there someone was there just standing around but the other two days no one. Cereal (one morning literally just the box was on the table), hardboiled eggs, fruit and yogurt..... this is all you get for your $325/night. She does make waffle batter but you have to make them yourself. The batter is just left by the waffle maker.

I guess the best way to describe this is that I felt like I was renting a room in someones home instead of being at a bed and breakfast on vacation. I would not go back or recommend.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kitkat77774
Betmorgan, Owner at Mainstay Inn, responded to this review, 16 August 2009
In response to the negative review from the guests I would like to respond firstly by saying that the price of the room was
$325. We have given discounts this season due to the poor economy and when these guests contacted us they were given the discount price. They made the reservation another day and did not tell us that they had be quoted to discounted price. I as the owner would happily have given it but since they never mentioned it I did not know that they were looking for the discount.
When the guests left their room they left the door ajar, which when the cleaning person addressed their room she was afraid to lock it in case they did not have the key and therefore left the door the way she found it.
Bed and Breakfasts are not for everyone. We are a very small staff that runs The Mainstay and we do our best to
take care of all guests, however there are times when
shopping for breakfast has to be done and other errands which need attending to prevent us from being here every second. We have a standard arrival time but quite often people come at all times of the day and night so we leave
messages for guests letting them know that their rooms are
ready and that we will see them soon.
Our breakfast is continental and we along with fresh fruit and melons, cereal, eggs, yogurt and waffles think that this
is more than a continental breakfast and are often told so.
When you rent a room in a bed and breakfast you are renting a room in a home. That is part of the charm that we try to impart to our guests. Some people should not
stay in these places if they want super hotel amenities.
I am sorry that this guest was so unhappy and if she would have mentioned the cost problem I would certainly have
helped with that.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southampton
The Hamlet Inn
#1 of 1 in Bridgehampton
Baron's Cove
Baron's Cove
#1 of 5 in Sag Harbor

Been to Mainstay Inn? Share your experiences!