“Don't do it.”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Southampton
New York City, New York
“Don't do it.”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

What a huge disappointment and lasting regret. A gross, creepy rip-off.
I can't even believe that I have to pay for the night I tolerated staying here. As I sign the check for my Visa bill I am deeply regretful. I was staying with a party that had taken a block of rooms to help celebrate a friend's birthday and what a disastrous place. The pool was a lone sanctuary from the general disrepair, patched up, ramshackle, suspect, and did I mention ridiculously expensive hotel (which is really a motel, btw). The only positive thing I can say is that it was a quiet setting. What a total rip-off.

Room Tip: No such thing. Our group was large enough, and we had enough issues with room changes that I saw a n...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
raycal, General Manager at The Atlantic, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Good morning HopefulNYC,

Thanks very much for your frank review and I'm sorry your stay at The Atlantic was as not pleasant as it could have been. I have taken on board the comments you made and we will look to make improvements. I know when you stayed here it was the same time the Vice President's Secret Service and military detail was staying at The Atlantic with over a dozen rooms allocated to them. The Atlantic has an on-going refurbishment program and over the off-season will be making improvements to the rooms. I hope you will give The Atlantic a try again and we will look forward to welcoming you back to The Hamptons, hoping to in all eyes live up to the award the hotel was nominated for last week as Best of the Best Hotel Hampton's for the second year in a row.

With regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Nasty and expensive. $400 for one night in the worst hotel I have stayed at, maybe ever. Afraid to take off my shoes in the room, so dirty. This is a motel. All rooms open to street. Terrible check-in experience. I would rather have slept on a park bench! Really, really DO NOT STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Good morning BMcC004,

Thanks very much for your frank review and I'm sorry your stay at The Atlantic was as not pleasant as it could have been. I have taken on board the comments you made and we will look to make improvements. The Atlantic has an on-going refurbishment program and over the off-season will be making improvements to the rooms. I hope you will give The Atlantic a try again and we will look forward to welcoming you back to The Hamptons, hoping to in all eyes live up to the award the hotel was nominated for last week as Best of the Best Hotel Hampton's for the second year in a row.

With regards.

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

ct
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This was the WORST hotel I have ever stayed at. I still get a sick feeling when I think about it. This was also one of the most expensive hotels I have ever stayed at. I usually check TripAdvisor but I figured it was the Hampton's, how bad could it be? The hotel website shows it as this hip retro style place but....it is rundown and dirty. The dirty part is what is totally inexcusable!!!! There was literally a 5 inch edge of visible dust around the whole room. There was rust on the ice bucket as well as one of the handles missing on it. There was mildew in the tub. The ceiling had large areas of paint about to fall down. There was a sheet covering the chair, who knows what was under that!!! Stains on the matted and smelly carpet.The only reason we did stay was that my husband had business in the area. We did contact the management and they agreed to refund the next night of the two night minimum. They said they were renovating rooms three at a time....right... NO excuse for the filthy condition.
OH, forgot to mention, as we were going down the stairs to check out there was a DEAD bird on the roof of the office building!!!!! Unless you hear that this hotel has done a COMPLETE makeover DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!! p.s. There is a TripAdvisor reviewed sticker on the check-in window....You should get that removed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Good Morning GeGiCT,

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and clearly we failed to meet your expectations. The hotels will be going through renovations and upgrades during the off-season and should you be in Southampton in the future please consider giving The Atlantic a try again.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My friend wanted to celebrate her birthday with a long weekend in the Hamptons, but most of the house rentals were gone and the ones she could find fell through so the only option left in Southampton was The Atlantic Hotel. All told we booked 4 rooms for 9 guests for the last weekend in July. Three of the rooms were over $200/night and our friend who booked the last available room was charged $500/night. These are the kinds of prices you would pay for a nice hotel in New York City or something on the beach in Honolulu or a B&B in Sonoma, not a squalid rat trap that doubles as a truck stop with bad service.

The problems started at check in. The woman at the front desk was not the sharpest knife and took forever to check us in to two rooms - which were on opposite sides of the hotel complex, even though she had two empty rooms that were right next to each other. So my friends had to go back and ask to switch rooms.

Then we got to the actual rooms: filthy carpet, peeling paint, mold, antiquated bathrooms and clock radios blinking on and off. The beds were surprisingly comfortable given the fact that all I could think about was how many people had probably been killed in that room. The towels were rough and scratchy and for $229/night plus tax you think would get a decent tube of shampoo, but no dice.

We went out to dinner that evening and when we came back there were no parking spaces because three enormous Penske trucks were taking up half of the parking lot. The trucks came complete with truckers hanging around poolside drinking and outside of their rooms smoking. This continued throughout our stay (returning to the hotel with no place to park because the truckers took up all the space) and when my friend approached the receptionist at the front desk to ask about alternative parking options, the receptionist said she was not responsible if anything happened to her car. That wasn't what my friend asked, but ok.

One night when we returned to the hotel my friend found her carpet soaking wet. They let her change rooms, but we never knew where the water came from - or if it was water.

The pool was the only saving grace; it had water in it and we pretty much had it to ourselves until the off-duty truckers came around with their beer cooler and started cannon balling into the deep end. The deck chairs were stained and filthy, which was unnecessary because the slip covers are easy enough to wash or replace, but there seems to be no interest in doing the minimum of maintenance. A friend of mine, the one charged $500/night for a room, used to run a B&B in Hawaii and she counted a number of safety violations (exposed wires on the grounds, a rusty nail at the bottom of the pool, a hair dryer dangling next to the sink) that made her wonder how they hadn't been shut down by building inspectors and the health department. The fact that we all escaped without bed begs and tetanus was a shock. The tennis courts seemed to be serviceable - several people in our party played during our stay and they had the courts to themselves the whole time.

For the princely sum we paid, they did throw in a continental breakfast that had decent coffee, cereals, baked goods (bagels, croissants, mini muffins), fruit, yogurt and juice (orange and cranberry). Breakfast was from 7am-10am and at 9:58 they bolted the door to ensure that no one snagged a bagel or mini poppyseed muffin after hours.

One morning while lounging by the pool and reading an US Weekly I saw the cleaning ladies go into my room and I timed how long they took to "clean" and they spent around 180 seconds in the room before re-emerging. They put in clean towels, fluffed the bed sheets, grabbed the trash and the dirty towels and left. No vacuum, no cleaning the bathroom, no wiping down the table.

If you have absolutely nowhere else to stay and the Atlantic is your only option, find a park bench and sleep there instead. It would be cleaner, cheaper and better maintained than this "hotel".

Room Tip: The good rooms are in another hotel - this hotel doesn't have any.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Good afternoon halekoa,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your frank comments on The Atlantic Hotel. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, clearly we failed to meet your expectations and I can well imagine the inconvenience of not having connecting or rooms close together . The hotels will be going through renovations and upgrades during the off-season and should you be in Southampton in the future please consider giving The Atlantic a try again. I would like an opportunity to live up to our nomination for Best of the Best Hotel Hampton's for the second year in a row at the Atlantic and to show you how well we can do.

Troy, PA
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The outside of this hotel is one of my worst nightmares...that 'motel' look.
the room was small and smelled musty upon entering...the carpet was old and the bathroom was tiny and antiquated.,..old fixtures, tile, shower,etc... the bed was comfortable, however, the cost of this room was way over priced...even for the upscale area...the receptionist was obviously over worked...she did not welcome us..in fact, she was very rude...as if we were taking up her time..,.the pool was large and nice with lounge chairs..this was the best part of the property..but, we had to ask for towels that should have been outside when the pool opened..seemed like the owners of this hotel could stand some hotel management classes...and, we went to see what their other property looked like..the Bentley..just down the road....and....we were actually happy that we chose the Atlantic!!! the Bentley looks worse...with extra large numbers on the outside...sooooo tacky!!! Definitely would NOT recommend staying here... look elsewhere!

Room Tip: do not stay here or at the Bentley...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Good afternoon notserp7,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your frank comments on The Atlantic Hotel. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, clearly we failed to meet your expectations. The hotels will be going through renovations and upgrades during the off-season and should you be in Southampton in the future please consider giving The Atlantic a try again. I would like an opportunity to live up to our nomination for Best of the Best Hotel Hampton's for the second year in a row at the Atlantic and to show you how well we can do.

Roma
Reviewed 18 July 2014

It's the most awful place I've ever been in my life! The room was filthy and stinky. It smelled like smoke. However, everything was worn out and the bathroom was falling apart.
So, don't go there. They charge you 399$ during the weekends... Incredible!!! For that rate you can find for sure a better place...

Room Tip: Honestly I don't think they have good rooms!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Good afternoon Splenda17,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your frank comments on The Atlantic Hotel. I myself as a non-smoker am sensitive to the perceived smell of cigarette smoke and I agree it is unpleasant. The hotels will be going through renovations and upgrades during the off-season and should you find yourself in Southampton in the future please consider giving The Atlantic a try again for I would like an opportunity to live up to our nomination for Best of the Best Hotel Hampton's and to show you how well we can do.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Never expect any service from staff. So rude and arrogant. . All of them. . old and young, male and female. .

No coffee maker, no bottled water in room no 101 I satyed. Other room,either.
Room is so spacious. That is all. No design No effort to keep guest to feel at home. Spacious and Stinky. . What a kind of smell. . I bought a kin candle to burn bad smell.
Never eat free breakfast if U don`t want to feel u are in the jail. Jail will be better, there will be some egg and ham. Ha ha.
I don`t want to be here again, this Atlantic Hotel and Hamptons again.. Do you know how much this horrible room per night?
Please Rent a car, go back to other city and find another hotel. . Save money and feel better.
This hotel totally ruined my total memory of Hamptons..the Worst hotel in around10 years memory. .

• Stayed July 2014
raycal, Manager at The Atlantic, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Good afternoon Euun,

Thanks very much for taking the time to give your frank review. I am sorry your stay at The Atlantic was not what you had hoped for and perhaps if you should find yourself in The Hamptons you will consider giving The Atlantic a second try. Routinely water bottles are not placed in the rooms at The Atlantic but are available at the reception desk for the asking.

I have been unable to match a name with a possible reservation from your stay at The Atlantic so if you would like please contact me at the hotel and we could discuss a possible return visit for you. This would allow us here to show why this month The Atlantic Hotel was for the 2nd year nominated as Southampton’s “Best of the Best.”

Take care and with regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southampton
The Hamlet Inn