“Great hotel!!!!”

The Bentley
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Great pool
We loved our stay especially because of the pool deck and the fun atmosphere. We have two kids and they spent hours by the pool and we had plenty of room in the spacious rooms. We are planning a trip back this summer, if you are looking for a convenient place to stay for a few days while visiting Southampton this is a great place.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
AtlanticBentley, Director of Sales at The Bentley, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and we are happy to hear that your stay was a pleasant one. The Bentley is now under new management and we are making additional updates to elevate the guest experience.

With warm regards,

The Management

Reviewed 12 September 2011

My expectations were so low that at the end it wasn't that bad. The hotel hasn't been renovated in a long time. Everything is stained and damaged but the beds and pillows were very comfortable. We went to a wedding and everyone was complaining about their hotel, even those that were paying 350 a night. At least, we got good beds. I think Southampton has pretty bad hotels and very very expensive. Would I recommend it? only if you are going just to sleep there, not if you are planning to spend part of the day at the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Gabrielena A
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Similar terrible experience: filthy, stained couch and chairs covered in over-bleached bed sheets. Pull-out sofa bed stank to high heaven. One horrendous odor on top of another. Noisy, shared interior foyers/hallways. No one in the office, housekeeper had to call other hotel, "Atlantic", to find out which room I was supposed to have. A month later, I am still waiting to be credited for being charged almost double the rate quoted over the phone. Check your credit card statement carefully. They have a heck of nerve charging these rates for such hiddeous accommodations.

Room Tip: Don't even think of staying here.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jory L
Reviewed 22 August 2011

This is a Motel not Hotel. the smell was terrible, large room with furniture of the 70's
covered with white sheet, very expense. I spend a lot of time to locate the front desk when ,finally, I locate nobody was at the office I call the number in front of the door and finally after 30 minutes someone came with car with the key of the room, never in my life this is happening. I was very imbarassed in front of my wife to choice this place.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mauriziobarbera
Reviewed 13 October 2010

For the money (booked via Travelzoo) this was a great place for me and my husband to stay. Although there were quite a few areas that needed renovation the place was clean and roomy. There was a decent size bedoom, bath, livin room and kitchenette. It was like standing in a roomy one bedroom/studio apt for a week. It also had a nice size balcony. The motel had a roomy pool with lounge chairs and tables. Only one huge downsize we found out was that the ownwer was going through bankruptcy. We wish them luck if the $$$$ and effort was put back into this place it would be totally fabulous!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelqueen417
Reviewed 20 August 2010

I normally wouldn't do a review, but we had such a hard time deciding on a motel for our one night stay on Southampton that I thought I would take some pics and post a review of our final choice. There just wasn't enough info, or more specifically, pictures, to get a good idea of the real experience.

Background… we have a 3 year old and a 8 month old, and needed room to put up the portable crib. We chose this motel because of the size of the room. We stayed there in the middle of the week.

The Bentley is fine for a couple nights' stay or maybe a week. It's not horrible, but not awesome either. It's kinda like the well-used beach house you rent for a week. Needs repairs, good for sleeping, but you're at the beach most of the time anyway.

The outside is clean, nicely landscape and well lit. It is very quiet there, but it wasn't very busy. We called ahead to see when we could check in and we could check in anytime, which was a relief with 2 small children in the car. The street noise is minimal considering this motel is off the main road a bit.

NOTE: Before doing anything, we did a bedbug check and all was clean. And I tend to look at places we stay like I was a home renovator, so some of the stuff will not matter to most people.

The room we had (#40, upstairs above the front office) is huge, as advertised. All the rooms may be this big, I didn't check. There is a small refrigerator in the bar area, which we used, a kitchen sink, microwave, coffee maker with coffee supplied (but only one coffee mug), and storage for any food or supplies you may have brought with you.

The "living room" area has 2 big easy chairs and one big couch. Both coverings on the furniture and the tops of the tables were faded and stained but not too gross. The couch fold out to a bed, and it looked like a bad night's sleep. Not so! I had no problem with it. The deck needs work and the table on the deck is black with mildew. It overlooks the gas station, but still isn't bad. One of the 2 TV's is in this room, along with an alarm clock and phone.

The bathroom is clean, but definitely a little dilapidated in areas (floor, around the shower head). There is one of those tiny, loud hair dryers and they did supply some lotion, soap, and hair products if you forgot them. LOTS of towels.

Opposite the bathroom is the very big closet with and iron and ironing board, and one extra blanket. Hangers are also supplied.

The bedroom is decent-sized with a king bed and a lot of nice pillows. We had asked for 2 double beds and got this king. I called customer service and they were very sorry and accommodating. They offered to set us up at The Atlantic (which is totally cute outside, more expensive, but smaller rooms) if we couldn't make our room work. We ditched our original sleeping arrangement when I remembered I read there is a fold-out couch. Dad and 3 year old in the king size bed, mamma on the couch, baby in the crib by the couch. Perfect! Dad had no complaints about the bed. There is another TV and alarm clock in this room too.

I think this is a slow time right now. When they don't have to man (or woman) the front office there due to lack of business, they do make you check in at the sister motel, The Atlantic. Sadly, I only knew this from reading online, not from any of the communications I had with the motel customer service.

There is a beach pass available, which covers almost all beaches except for Cooper which doesn't allow beach passes (that'll be $40, please). If you fail to return the beach pass, you pay to replace it which is not unreasonable. You can return your key in the morning and keep the beach pass for the rest of the day, signing it back in when you're ready to leave Southampton. That was NICE.

There is wifi, I got on without a password.

We didn't have time to visit the pool, but The Atlantic's pool looked great, with all kinds of floaties and toys. I have to think The Bentley had the same or similar. Others have reviewed the pool, so that's good.

Don't for get to use your AAA card, if you have one. It knocked almost $20 off the price. The taxes and fees are ridiculous on the hotel room and the AAA made up for some of it.

I think the best thing they could do to shape this room up is to replace the flooring (which needs it desperately), replace the Motel 6-grade shower head, and replace the furniture slipcovers, if they can. The rest can totally be lived with. If I needed this much space again, I would totally stay here. The bad reviews here are almost 3-7 years old, I think whatever problems they had have long since been taken care of. I do think that the HRH website is very misleading, though. HRH shouldn't oversell their motels, it does them an injustice. They are just fine they way they are and should be sold on their own merits.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank andhon4
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Reading some of the past reviews made me worry that we might be going to a old dump. However, The Bentley was a pleasant surprise. The bed was very comfortable, the sheets and towels were very clean. The rooms are large and furniture are functional. It is off the highway, not near to anything, as we expected. However, the pool was really clean and really nice with an 8 ft deep end! For the price, it is a great deal to get to anywhere in the hamptons area.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southampton
The Hamlet Inn
#1 of 12 in Hampton Bays
Bay Watch Hotel & Marina
Bay Watch Hotel & Marina
#5 of 12 in Hampton Bays

Been to The Bentley? Share your experiences!