“Disappointing”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Southampton
Jackson NJ
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

As a frequent business traveler, I should have read the reviews more carefully before booking however, booking a hotel in the Hamptons at peak season in July left me with very few hotel options. So I settled for the Southampton Inn and was very disappointed with my stay and would not stay again nor recommend this establishment. Ameneties are sub-par than that of your typical hotel chain. A complimentary cup of coffee in the morning would have been nice instead of having to buy at the hotel restaurant along with my breakfast. Room was mediocre furnished with basics, a desk, lamps, tv, bed, linens, shampoo, no conditioner, soap, towels, hairdryer. Bug was found this morning in the bathtub to my surprise. Made me re-think how clean the room really was. Wireless was impossible to access even with the hotel username and password. Had to use my wireless card to access the internet and do some work after hours. Don't bother dining at the hotel restaurant, took 5 minutes for myself and others to be greeted and sat by overworked staff who I truly felt sorry for. There was no manager to be found for complaints or compliments. Food was good but I had to keep asking my server for a place setting, coffee, water, to place my order etc. I felt truly sorry for the two servers waiting on over 8 tables during breakfast rush so I left a decent tip even though service was shotty. Management is no where to be found and the employees are not empowered to assist hotel guests should a situation arise where extra customer care is required. Truly a shame. All in all, if you are looking for an overpriced, basic room to spend the night, this is your place, if not, keep searching, I'm sure any other place is better than this especially in the Hamptons.

Room Tip: Keep looking...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank TravelingCRA_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Alpine
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed here to attend a wedding in town. Got a sense this wasn't a great place during check-in -- it was like filling out a car rental agreement - you have to check like ten boxes of things you will and won't do -- never saw anything like it. Frankly, it was insulting. Had to also wait 30 minutes to check in because rooms are not ready until 4pm so everyone has to come back at once then. Even then, the lady in front of us was told -- 'your room still isn't ready, we have 15 minutes until 4pm,' Really? Front desk never uses your name. They referred to the bride when I went to pick up a basket she left for us as the 'wedding lady.'

Room was clean and average. No character but not terrible. Bathroom works but small and lacks working surfaces. When they cleaned it they didn't leave any soap/shampoo but they delivered it quickly after we called. Air conditioner was very loud and cycles on/off constantly -- it's maddening.

Oso, their dining room, is a bad joke. Slow service. Couldn't get my wife's order right the first time -- waiter couldn't figure out that an egg white omelette shouldn't be yellow. I heard everyone complaining about their food and service. Best to avoid.

Place is very convenient to walk into town. Nice pool and it has a tennis court. I just think there has to be a more elegant place to stay if I was coming to the Hampton's again.

Room Tip: We were at the far end of the hotel and the free Internet doesn't reach there. If that is impor...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ssands

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 27 July 2013

The price is deceiving, you expect something nice and resort-like and it's not. It's more like a motel. But it is nicely furnished, comfortable bed, nice looking room and there is a pool. On the down side, the room smelled very musty, the food I had was not good, the pool hours were limiting (no early swim) and yes, it's expensive. Made me feel like I was in the low rent district of Southhampton, after paying $300 for a room. But maybe that's just Southhampton. Once I got in the pool, I had a nice swim though, and yes the bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
philadelphia
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband booked our July 18th weekend at the Southampton Inn in May - He decided to confirm the reservation the first week of July - he was told there was no reservation for July but there was one for May which he didn't show up for and would be charged. Huh? Whoever took the reservation booked it for the same day he made it! Ok - after a couple of days, they straightened it out and restored our original reservation. The location of the motel is really nice - you can walk into town - the grounds are very pretty and the rooms are clean. Now, the negative part - I know its a motel and not a luxury hotel, but the bathroom is really uncomfortable and outdated. I'm grossed out by old, chipped tub showers with shower curtains and whoever puts a shelf over a toilet must be a kook - pedestal sink with hardly a space to put your toothbrush let alone your makeup - I had to lay my makeup out on the bed and walk back and forth to the mirror - very inconvenient. The nightstand drawers don't open or close easily so we left them open for the whole weekend. No safe/small refrigerator on the floor/bad towels. I know, I know, NOT a luxury hotel but would a bar of soap bigger than a half dollar be too much to ask for? And don't even THINK about eating at OSO - coffee with no cream, burnt eggs, cold toast and frozen butter - and the servers could not have been more rude. We won't be going back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Celeste222
Las Vegas
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Overpriced motel, great location, otherwise quite sad. Terrible breakfast, moldy rooms with faulty plumbing. Stayed for July 4th weekend, with a 3 day minimum stay, the price was absolutely insane, I will not be back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank annaro
LANCASTER
Reviewed 4 June 2013

My husband loves the Hamptons, it is a very busy area in the Summertime. We stay at the Inn. It is clean, the grounds are beautiful and you can walk to town. Takes away the NYC stress.
Staff very nice.

Joan H

Room Tip: I love the high floors. Very Private.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JOAN H
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I called to make a reservation & they charged me more over the telephone than if I booked via their website. I specifically asked the reservation clerk if the prices on the website were the same as what he was quoting me & he said they were. There was an almost $200 discrepancy.When I called back (10 minutes later) after having gone on the website & plugging in the dates of my stay, the reservation cerk said that I was locked into that rate & would need to speak with the manager to have it adjusted. I called the manager 3 times to no avail. One staff member who answered my call was very discourteous & told me that the "manager was aware that I have called but is to busy to talk with me." Excuse me but I do believe that the Southampton Inn is in the business of hospitality of which there was NOT anyone who was hospitable, courteous or who has a clue working there. I even left a voicemail for Denny [---] who is the general manger again to no avail. I give this place two thumbs down!! I've read other reviews stating that they can behave the way they do because they are the only game in town. Well, I suggest that they do stay there because no one would last a day at a proper hotel where customer service is a priority.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Nda997
49Denny, General Manager at Southampton Inn, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
We are very sorry to hear of any variance with rates between our reservations staff and our web site. I as General Manager do receive numerous calls each day and try to always return calls the same day. Sometimes messages are not clear with cell phones and guest names or numbers are not auditable due lack of clarity or excessive background noise. I am available to resolve any and all disputes. We appreciate our guest’s feedback and patronage.
Please feel free to contact me directly at 631-283-6500 ext. 711 so that we may resolve any outstanding issues. Thank you, Denny Pierce
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southampton
The Hamlet Inn
Topping Rose House
Topping Rose House
#1 of 1 in Bridgehampton
Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa

Been to Southampton Inn? Share your experiences!