“FANTASTIC”

Shorecrest Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 9 Southold B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed at the Shorecrest earlier this year for a weekend getaway with my daughter who lives in Manhattan. I am from Vermont, so this was a great place to meet up, for her to escape the city and spend a couple of days relaxing in a lovely New England Inn. We each had a room at the front of the house, the East and West rooms overlooking the Long Island sound. Great views. I see some people wrote that the rooms are small, and if you are used to staying in a commercial hotel with two double beds in the room it might seem that way. But I am from New England and love the character and charm of a place like this...the rooms were perfect in size. The bathrooms, though not large were really cleverly designed, modern and with adorable antique touches...like the mirrors. In fact we liked them so much I took some pictures for inspriation. The corner toilets were a genius way to conserve space. Great ideas for home decorating...never saw those before! We loved hanging out together in the living room, by the fire on one chilly evening and in the library, where we playbed a couple of board games. There is a sunporch too. One morning it was actually warm enough for us to drink our coffee out there. Many rooms for us to enjoy together. We didn't really notice the road noise, as there is virtually no traffic at night...the windows were kept closed and we slept like babies!!!
We enjoyed ourselves so much that I am planning a return trip with my husband as soon as we can get away!!! Would love to see the gardens and be able to take advantage of the private beach and play a bit of golf at Island's End. One more comment...the owner of Shorecrest Bed and Breakfast, Marilyn Marks, is positively one of the most gracious hosts and a lovely person.
Thanks for making our stay so terrific!!!!!

Room Tip: They all have their own charm!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Marilyn M, Owner at Shorecrest Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

It was an absolute pleasure meeting you and your daughter, Debra! Thank you so much for this incredibly thoughtful recommendation; you have no idea how much your kind words mean to me. I do hope you'll come back and see us again soon!

Safe travels,

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Coming out from NYC, I found Shorecrest incredibly peaceful and beautiful. Marilyn catered to all my needs and her food was delicious. Contrary to what some said, I didn't notice road noise at all, and was extremely comfortable throughout my stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Marilyn M, Owner at Shorecrest Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

It's so nice to have a weekend away from the city every now and again, isn't it, Rebecca? So glad we could provide you with the perfect backdrop to do just that! You are so kind to note the food in your review, too. We put a lot of love into our cooking here, so your compliments are much appreciated!

We'll hope to see you the next time you're headed out for a getaway -- we'd love the opportunity to host you again!

Cheers,

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I agree with other comments that the owner, Marilyn, is very nice, and serves a delicious breakfast. However, the room on the front of the house, facing the Sound, is very small, and the bathroom is unbelievably small. The traffic noise is very loud, so if you are sensitive to that you may want to request a room in the back of the house (tho I'm not sure it would be quieter).
Perhaps I am simply not a Bed and Breakfast person, because I would prefer a more spacious room, and a much more comfortable bathroom. I found it quite expensive as well, for the quality of the accommodations.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ejh327
Southolder, Owner at Shorecrest Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear Ellen
I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay in the East room as much as I would have wished, but I am delighted to know that you love the breakfast and thank you for your kind words.
However, as your hostess I would like to address your concerns.
Of course there is nothing I can do about the size of the rooms or the proximity of the road, although the house is well set back with extensive gardens and hedges in the front. Also the windows are all brand new, with sound proof glass and the room is 151/2 feet x 12 ft, an average size bedroom I believe.
I should also mention that guests are not confined to their rooms. I point out to each one on arrival the large living room with open fire when the weather is chilly, the library with books and games, and the west sun porch, a lovely sunny room where they like to drink wine in the evenings, nap in the afternoons and take their pre breakfast coffee and muffins. In addition there are extensive gardens for guests to use and our two private water front beaches with Adirondack chairs for their use, great places to walk or sit, with stunning views of sunsets.

You didn’t mention being troubled by noise during your visit but asked for help opening the windows, and I do remember suggesting that rather than keep the windows open you might use the ceiling fan or adjust the room temperature, at least at night if you wanted it to be cooler and I think we were still getting night frosts in March

Although a majority of my guests do not seem to share your issues, for those who are light sleepers and do like to sleep with the windows open, I would suggest a room at the back of the house, like the south west room, Rose room or Silk Road room. Although when it is warm and humid out and the central air conditioning is running opening windows can defeat the purpose a bit.

It is true the bathroom is not large enough for two people to use at once, but having a private bathroom in each bedroom rather than a large shared one in the hall seemed an important amenity and the first task I took on when I renovated. An ingenious design by a local architect allows for a normal size shower, sink and toilet all amenities with room for towel racks and all you can need. Some guests are intrigued by the corner toilet which helps to make the design possible, and also love the unique touches of antique mirrors and light fixtures in this modern setting.
To any future guests I ask, before making a decision, please take a look at the review by Kenneth D titled ‘Nice place to relax’. He stayed in the same East room and enjoyed a completely different experience. There are many reviews like that and a lot of my returning guests ask for these rooms specifically, so I must conclude this is a matter of taste and individual preference, as you say Ellen.
I do have larger rooms, one, the Silk Road room has an enormous Califormia King sleigh bed and quite a large bathroom, by any standards, so anyone concerned with space, I would suggest that room. In addition, if available the Rose room can be rented as a suite to include the library and porch.

I do believe Ellen that you are right however, and that a Bed and Breakfast stay is not for everyone, however there are several modern houses I know of, built to be bed and breakfasts with giant rooms much more like a commercial hotel that you might like. So I hope you won't write us all off! I have stayed in large chain hotels with two double or queen beds in the rooms, but for me the ambience is lacking, the location usually includes a giant parking lot, and breakfast no better or more interesting that you can get in a diner. Certainly not cooked with free range eggs, home made bread organic fruit and served on vintage china in a 150 year old dining room with all it’s original charm!
However I thank you for taking the time to let potential guests know your opinion. I much prefer for my visitors to have as much information as possible before they commit to spending their valuable leisure time at the Shorecrest as I wish each and every one to leave having enjoyed a rich and relaxing experience in a unique setting
Sincere best wishes
Innkeeper, Shorecrest Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is a lovely old house with a very lovely owner. The rooms are extremely small and the bathrooms even smaller, this is something we are not accustomed to so if you are no problem. We, as most people, were more interested in the area than in our lodging, however it was disarming to be able to sit on the toilet and brush your teeth over the sink simultaneously.
There is walk space around the bed and that's about it, this space was taken with our empty suitcases that we walked through to maneuver. I left a DND sign on the door to find upon our return fresh towels and a made bed, DND signs don't work, lol.
Let me repeat the owner is a simply lovely woman and this is a great old house, if you are accustomed to smaller rooms and bathrooms then you will not have a challenge at all.

Room Tip: we had a room facing the sound, the road noise was very noticeable
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Audra
Thanks so much for taking the trouble to write a review and for your kind remarks. I enjoyed our chats too. I wish I had known about the suitcase problem you were having however, I would have happily stored them for you in the library closet. Also, I apologize about the clean towels and made up bed when you returned to your room after breakfast. My housekeeper is new and she is used to making up the rooms while guests are in the dining room and sometimes they forget to take the ‘do not disturb’ sign off. It has not been an issue before as far I as know, but thanks for pointing it out. I will make sure to check in the future. As to the size of the room, as your review was followed by another one that mentioned the same thing, I measured it, and it is 15 ½ feet by 12 feet, which is an average size I think, at least, for a New England home. I know things are a lot bigger in Texas lol and modern hotels are designed for people to sleep apart and dance the can-can in their room as well I sometimes think☺ But when this old house was built in about 1860, by a gentleman who farmed the surrounding 50 acres, those New Englanders were famously a careful lot, (although this was a luxury home by any standards in those days). They knew they had to heat their homes with fireplaces in the winter, so didn’t go for MacMansions which would have be so expensive to maintain. And of course, in those days there would not have been a bathroom in every room so making sure each room does have one took some creative thinking and the brilliant innovation of the corner toilet! I was so amused and intrigued at your comment that you could brush your teeth while sitting on it that I had to give it a go. But as the room you stayed in is just average size, with one bed not two, I was glad to see that you were able to make use of the other rooms available to my guests including the library and living room, while you were here. In warmer weather the sun porch adds a third room that guests enjoy too. Based on your review and the one following it, and the fact that many returning guests request these very front rooms, I spent some time sitting at the windows overlooking the water, gardens and road today, and although I could hear the traffic a little, it was hardly noticeable to me And at night there is almost none as it is rural here, so what there is comes from the Orient Point ferry, and the last boat arrives at 8pm at this time of year. Anyway, if people are light sleepers I suggest they keep the windows closed at night as I have central air conditioning and also a fan in the room to keep guests comfortable. They will also find the back of the house quieter as far as being far from the road goes, but then there are always owls hooting and foxes barking at night and the sound of mourning doves and the dawn chorus in the morning!. Although I rather love those sounds and find it to be part of the charm of country living.

It was a pleasure meeting you and Iain. I hope he enjoyed the care package of bread pudding I gave him for the road! I know it reminded him of his Scottish homeland, being my British Grandmother’s recipe, and I also hope the rest of your tour of the East coast was enjoyable and as interesting as your visit to Southold, the home of your ancestors.
Wishing you the very best
Innkeeper, Shorecrest Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Anyone who needs the perfect weekend getaway...I urge you to got to Shorecrest!
The rooms are cozy, luxurious with the perfect amount of beachy air. The owner, Marilyn, is lovely and serves a delicious breakfast.
I want this place to be my home away from home.
I have always been a Montauk person, but I am officially a Northshore covert :)

It's near so many wineries, the close by towns are great with awesome shops and restaurants.
I really feel like I stumbled upon a gem.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Marilyn M, Owner at Shorecrest Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

There's just nothing like fresh, beachy air, is there, Heather? So happy you could indulge in it for a bit when you stayed with us! You can absolutely make us your home away from home -- it would be our pleasure to have you around more often. See you next time!

Cheers,

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We spent two nights at the Shorecrest in October 2013. It's difficult to add to the reviews of recent visitors - we found the experience delightful, and particularly enjoyed our conversations with Marilyn, the owner, who is a wonderful, gracious host and whose advice about wine tasting and places for dinner - like Noah's - was extremely helpful. The breakfasts were delicious and the afternoon treats were a lovely surprise when we returned from our day's adventures. We highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: A couple of the rooms have extremely small bathrooms which might be uncomfortable for some guests...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Marilyn M, Owner at Shorecrest Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

I'm so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay on all levels! When you have a day of adventure waiting ahead, a good breakfast is a must, so it's absolutely our pleasure to provide just that. I can't wait to pass along your kind words to the rest of my team! We'll look forward to hosting you again the next time you're in our little corner of the world!

Reviewed 3 October 2013

My wife & I spent two nights, in late Sept., for our 35th wedding anniversary. We have stayed in quite a few B&Bs & our experience here was the most memorable!
First of all, the location & surroundings can’t be beat. I was looking for a place on (near) the water and this exceeded my expectations. We stayed in the West Room w/water views across the street. After a full-day of activities, we took the path to the private beach & enjoyed a glass of wine; while watching picture-perfect sunsets.
Marilyn, the owner, is the ultimate hostess. We felt welcome from the moment we arrived, as she gave us a tour of her home along with guest information. Her love of interior design can be seen with attention to detail in all rooms of the house, each decorated with unique period furnishings.
Having breakfast in the formal dining room, set on elegant china with fresh flowers & candelabras, made us feel like royalty. Homemade, delicious entrees included French toast, eggs & bacon and fresh fruit w/yogurt & granola. Note: Coffee & muffins or breads are available an hour before breakfast. Also, during the afternoon & evening you’ll find tea & sweet “treats” too.
This was our first trip to North Fork & the location was perfect for visiting wineries, shops and only a 10-minute drive to several fine restaurants in Greenport.
I knew the Shorecrest was the ideal getaway, when after one-night my wife said, “I want to come back - same time next year!”

Room Tip: East & West rooms are in the front of the house, which provide water views with little or no tra...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beachruler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southold
Sound View Greenport
Wickham-Prince Bed & Breakfast
North Fork Guest House
North Fork Guest House
#1 of 8 in Cutchogue

Been to Shorecrest Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!