“A Day Spa for Our Boat”
Review of Heron Suites

Heron Suites
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Southold
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My wife and I celebrated her birthday at the Heron Suites located in the Port of Egypt Marina in Southold New York and it turned out to also be a day spa for our boat. The Hotel is located just a few minutes by boat or car from Greenport NY.

My wife and I live on Long Island New York. We own a small cuddy cabin boat that we can trailer. We just purchased the boat this season and there were a few bugs in the engine I didn't get fixed yet. The problem wasn't too bad at the time, so I just hoped it wouldn't act up when we were away.

For my wife’s birthday, I was looking for a place that provided sheltered access to a safe and charming bay of water as well as a place where we can stay on property wit our boat. We wanted to stay on Long Island and Explore the East-End.

After a bunch of on-line investigation I found the Heron Harbor Suites in Southold New York. Heron Harbor Suites is a 20 room Motel located on the property of the Port of Egypt Marina. They have a private boat ramp so we were able to drop right in.

The moment we checked in we were greeted by the owner, Bill, who took the time to carefully show us on our marine charts what there was to do by boat and the safest way to do them. He pointed out landmarks and aids to navigation that will make it easier for us to find our way around and boat safely. He was very friendly and patient. His father owned the marina since 1931 and Bill worked there since he was 10 years old.

On the second day of our boat trip our outboard engine started to malfunction. We limped back in to our boat slip and went to the marina office to get help. I suspected it was a faulty power-pack. A marine mechanic was looking at our engine within 20 minutes. He confirmed it was the power pack and they got the part from a neighboring marina within the half hour.

From that moment on the boat performed beautifully and we had an amazing boating vacation. We circled our boat completely around Shelter Island. We had lunch by boat in Sag Harbor and we even tied up at the town dock at Shelter Island and walked around.

Most of the rooms at Heron Harbor are suites with a full kitchen so some days we cooked and ate in the room leaving us more time for boating. When we were not boating we walked around Greenport and Southold and ate out a few times.

What was supposed to be a fun trip for my wife and me turned out to be a medicinal trip for our boat. Where else can you stay at a working boat yard, have your engine worked on if needed and sleep only a few hundred feet from where your boat is docked?

If you are a boater we highly recommend the Heron Suites located in the Port of Egypt Marina. Every night you can walk down to the dock, say goodnight to your boat and sleep well knowing it is nearby and floating high the last time you saw it. A real boater always says goodnight to their boat.

Room Tip: If you are a boater staying at the dock ask for a key to the cabana. You can check out at check out...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank factxback
HeronSuites, Manager at Heron Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review The Heron Suites. We are thrilled you chose to stay with us and glad to hear everything worked out with the boat. We hope you will come back again soon!

Reviewed 3 October 2013

We recently came out east again for our family reunion and were blown away with the renovation. The rooms were clean, bright and new. They are in the process of installing a deck and the grounds looked superb. Staff was helpful as always with great dinner recommendations and taxi information. We are excited to come back again next year and see the final renovation!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Alice S
HeronSuites, Manager at Heron Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review The Heron Suites. We are delighted that you again chose to stay with us on your recent trip to the North Fork. Hope to see you again next year!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

My fiance and I stayed here via a Living Social voucher in mid-June, and were dismayed at what we found. Neither of us had ever been to North Fork before, so we did not know what to expect. However, the photographs on Heron Suites' website truly do not fit the appearance. Heron Suites looks like little more than a glorified motel from the outside, with a parking lot that needs some work/attention, and as another reviewer said, a room without a view (except of the side of a drab grey building). None of these images, of course, can be found on the hotel's website. My fiance and I walked to the restaurant in the marina, and from there could see the potential 'views' that were falsely advertised. We spent little time in the room, instead enjoying the local vineyards and restaurants in and around North Fork.

Additionally, there was also a strong smell of cleaning detergent in the room. While I appreciate a clean hotel room, the smell was overpowering. My recommendation would be to find other accomodations in the area, as we still enjoyed our visit to the area.

Finally, while we were still there, Living Social sent me an email asking me to rate my experience. Since we were so dismayed at what we had found, I was very honest in my response. Unbeknownst to me, Living Social sent my rating/review of Heron Suites while we were still in our 2 night stay, and this is the rather rude response (word for word) that was sent to me from the hotel:

"The Heron Suites, part of the landmark Port of Egypt Marina property, is ideally located dockside at Southold Bay." Taken directly from the website, stating we were in a marina. Yes we are a work in progress, we were completely destroyed by hurricane Sandy and feel in 7 months we have made great progress in our rebuild. The rooms were new, clean as pictured on website, the courtyard is the same as pictured on website, the pool is as pictured on website, because our gardens are not in bloom and rebuilt we deserve a bad review? Sorry we were not the "glorified motel" you were looking for, but we are trying. Glad we had the opportunity to host you."

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Summersun33
HeronSuites, Manager at Heron Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Hello and thank you again for taking the time to review the Heron Suites. Our hotel is a work in progress; we reopened our doors May 1st after losing the entire property to hurricane Sandy and apologize that by June we were not at your standards. All the images on our website are original and taken on our property. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time here at The Heron Suites but am glad to hear you did enjoy the North Fork.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here while visiting our son on Long Island. We got a wonderful deal on the internet and were pleasantly surprised at what a grat place this is. It is right off the main road (RT 25) and consists of a livingroom, bedroom and full kitchen. The bathroom has an oversized shower and the place is immaculate! We would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello and thanks for taking the time to review The Heron Suites. We are so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to you returning and seeing all the new changes we have made!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We were supposed to stay here 5 nights as this was a family trip but left just after 1 night and unfortunately had to come back for another night at the end. The promise of a nice hotel, kayak/bicycle, pool, marina - you'd think they have it all. Well, they sort of do but without much quality. I was promised the one first mate room with a view of the water but then told (when we got there and one night got charged) that the couch didn't open up (even though they knew we'd be needing it ). The renovated rooms are home depot specials done on the cheap - drab, dark walls and the windows look onto the gray metal wall of a boat shed with absolutely NO view. The beds are very uncomfortable probably because the mattresses need to be changed. unfortunately, the place is depressing. No charm, no personality,- just very basic and utilitarian. One good thing, it was clean. I am amazed at the rates for the rooms - for the SAME price, we went to B&B in Greenport and our spirits lifted right away. You can rent a kayak or charter a boat without staying here. My advice to the owners - take advantage of the fact that you are in a marina - decorate the rooms in a nautical manner, paint that horrible shed some brighter color or a mural of some sort and spend a few more dollars on the beds, towels, and blankets. Then, maybe, you'll be worth what you charge.

Worse thing of all, our 6 year old forgot her stuffed animals in the room. Our daughter was extremely upset. Although I called and spoke with a young lady who was going to close the office in 10 minutes and asked her to please check and call me back - she didn't. Yes, we got the toys back. They could have redeemed themselves by calling, but they didn't.
Sorry, but I wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Look around. For the same price, you can do better. The pictures make it look better than it is.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 2013JPL2013
HeronSuites, Manager at Heron Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Heron Suites. After reading your review I did look back at your reservation and noticed you were scheduled to stay with us a week and that we were kind enough to not charge you for choosing to leave and in no way “forced” you to come back and did in fact extend to you a 10% discount for being with a marina customer. Because you did have a child with you we happily moved you to the downstairs room with a pull out sofa for your convenience, the upstairs room you are referring to only sleeps two. Our hotel was recently renovated and sorry to hear that you did not like our brand new mattresses. Although we are disappointed with your review we are happy to hear you found somewhere else to stay and managed to enjoy your time on the North Fork.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

restaurant next door is fantastic. ..I'm in the room now and waiting for the morning to rent a 18ft motor boat for my 11 yr olds ...in the first mates suite but thinking about an upgrade in the morning

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank cliffy1972

Hello and thanks for taking the time to review The Heron Suites. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our onsite restaurant and boat rentals are a big draw and glad you had the opportunity to enjoy them both.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had such a great time last year on the last week of July (for our wedding anniversary) so we did it again! Again we had a First Mate Suite and enjoyed ourselves immensely. The best part was that my husband chartered a boat and captain from the marina, though the boat dealership there, and it was the most romantic ride ever, to Claudio's restaurant on the water at Greenport - the oldest same family owned restaurant in the USA. Luscious seafood. Again we enjoyed the lovely landscaped courtyard and the bbq grills. We brought our own meat and treats, so the full size kitchen was appreciated.

Just a couple things different from last year: the kitchen wasn't as well equipped with pots/pans and silverware. We asked and were told that the hotel had sustained damage from Superstorm Sandy and they were still catching up with replacing things like that. Also, there was no TV in the bedroom. The cable box was in the closet, but no TV. And, some pieces of furniture were no longer there too, like night tables in the bedroom. We assumed the same, and didn't ask about those items.

And this year we had some problems with noise, which didn't occur last year. A couple with 3 small boys were in the room next door, and the constant slamming, banging, yelling were intolerable. But we did complain about that and the night manager visited them and the noise stopped. We also had a Mom with two noisy, lead-footed teens stamping around upstairs. One thing to know - quiet time in the village is 10 PM. So no one is legally allowed to make a ruckus and you have every right to complain.

But overall, this was small stuff, and we were happy enough to book the same week in advance for 2014 and select a room less likely to have noise issues (on the end of the hotel, top floor).

The beach, the pool, the marina, the area is fantastic.

Room Tip: end of the hotel, top floor First Mate Suites, or Captain's or Admiral's Quarters
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FitNYC

Hello and thanks for taking the time to review The Heron Suites. We are thrilled that you have chosen to stay with us the last two anniversaries’, and appreciate your patronage for the upcoming year. We are so excited to host you again and surprise you with all the new property upgrades. Enjoy the winter and see you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Southold
Sound View Greenport
Hyatt Place Long Island East End
Baron's Cove
Baron's Cove
#1 of 5 in Sag Harbor

Been to Heron Suites? Share your experiences!