“Very nice, but could use new mattresses” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Pines Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Speculator
Red Pines Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Speculator B&B and Inns
PA
“Very nice, but could use new mattresses”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

Red Pines is run by Diane, who serves one of the best B&B breakfasts I've had. The location is quiet and beautiful, and though we didn't use it there is a beautiful, private 100 yard section of sandy beach that is part of the property. There is NO road noise. The house is clean and spacious and very comfortable.
The downsides of Red Pines are minimal, but there are some. I am not a big fan of extra firm mattresses, for 115 a night I would expect a pillow top or something softer. Also, I have been to several B&Bs, and sometimes you will run across the "family" drawer in the bedroom, or "family" items in the closet. Not a big deal for me - but I do know some people who are very turned off by this. This is the case with Red Pines, in both the shared bath and the room. (Also at least one secondary site had this listed as private baths - All three rooms share the 2 full baths of the house with the owner.) (At least one secondary site had Wi-Fi listed, she does have it, but it isn't mentioned on the Red Pines website) The lighting, etc. in one bath is a bit odd, there is a window looking out to the lake, right in the middle of the mirror. Consequently it is a bit hard to see exactly what you are doing while shaving, etc. Also ( though not a big deal for us) Diane has breakfast with her guests, and likes to say grace at breakfast, and offers to entertain your version of grace. Some people may find this too familiar, other folks may feel right at home with this.
We found Diane to be very warm and friendly and was very helpful with ideas for hiking and eating. Aside from the extra firm mattress, this is a reasonably priced B&B.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank tedley7

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Syracuse, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

This facility has a no cancellation policy. They are willing to take your money with no refunds. If instances occur in life beyond your control your screwed. Only send them the bare minimum deposite and be prepared to loose it. Money is more important than people.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank katiek00
Queeniedc, Owner at Red Pines Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
The first time this guest cancelled at the last minute, I did not keep a deposit. The second time she cancelled the day she was supposed to arrive on a very busy weekend (I had turned away other requests), I did keep her deposit and offered to give a portion of it as credit for a future date. In six years of business, this is the only time I have kept the full amount.
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2010

My three children and I spent the MLK weekend with Dianne at the Red Pines B & B in Speculator, NY. Red Pines is right on Lake Pleasant and has beautiful views of the water and surrounding mountains. My family has been coming to Speculator for decades, and we have a summer cottage on the lake. This was our first time vacationing in town in the winter, and Dianne made it a great experience. The nearby ski mountain is small, but great for our kids, with a wonderful tube ride. About fifty minutes from Gore Mountain if you want something more challenging. The rooms are large and comfortable, and we have no complaints. Breakfast is hearty, and Dianne even made us a Chicken dinner one night. There is wireless internet, but unfortunately no television. One room does have a dvd player and tv, so we all spent the late nights there watching old episodes of Nip/Tuck. All in all a great experience, and we will be back.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank idiotcentral
Saratoga Springs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2009

A quiet and clean Adirondack getaway on gorgeous Lake Pleasant. With warm, personalized hospitality and relaxing atmosphere, I felt like I was in my very own Adirondack home away from home!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jillperki
Also consider these accommodations in or near Speculator
Black Mountain Lodge
#2 of 4 in North Creek
Gore Mountain Lodge
Gore Mountain Lodge
#1 of 4 in North Creek

Been to Red Pines Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!