Melody Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Speculator
See available hotels
Excellent 5/5
  • Pool
Camp Driftwood(Indian Lake)
  • Beachfront
Indian Lake Motel(Indian Lake)
  • Free Internet
Good 3.5/5
    Garnet Hill Lodge(North River)
    Average 3/5
    • Restaurant
    • Free Internet
    All reviewsdining roomlast nighthot watera great experienceadirondacksbeautyappetizerssnowmobilewinterarrangementstrail
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 5 September 2010

My husband and I married in 2006. Today, I'm looking for a place to stay for a return trip to the Adirondacks, where I grew up and where my husband and I held our wedding. Melody Lodge will NOT be the place. Here's why:

I tried to plan my reception at Melody Lodge as my grandfather had played music there when he was still alive. My mother thought the place was lovely... and the place itself is. The trouble is the people who own/run the place. I should have known from the start, when I tried calling months prior to our wedding to talk with someone and my calls were not returned. I persevered and, finally, I talked with the owner, who said at the time that she was more or less turning over ownership to her daughter and "things were hectic" as a result. No apology for not having gotten back to me sooner. Still, I wanted to have my reception there because the venue was beautiful, rustic, just what we wanted and the autumn view from the porch was exceptional. I went in person to meet with this lady (if I recall correctly, her name was Judy) and waited well past our appointed time for her to join me in the quaint little common area. We discussed numbers, menu options and pricing and I reserved the date. She didn't ask for any deposit, which I thought was weird, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I tried and tried to call her to finalize plans for MONTHS. Most of the time, I could tell that whoever answered had no interest in who I was, what I wanted, or in taking as simple a message as it would take to get this lady to call me back. Finally, I called and left the message to just let her know I was no longer interested in holding my reception there and left it at that. A WEEK AND A HALF before our wedding, I finally got a FRANTIC message from Judy on my phone, saying, "I need to hear from you! Your wedding is less than two weeks away and I don't have final numbers, menu choices... nothing!" She was being short with me? Really? I called her back immediately and she actually answered the phone. I explained the situation to her and told her I had called several weeks before to cancel and she was incredulous... I could tell from her tone she was convinced I was lying. That shouldn't matter to me, but it bugs me, even now.d

The story should end there, but it doesn't. A friend of mine and her husband were coming in for our wedding from Alexandria, VA. Since Melody Lodge was one of the options listed with our "save the date" cards (which were sent out prior to the reception fiasco), they made a B&B reservation there. They were arriving late Friday evening and had mentioned as much when they made their initial call. "No problem," they were told, "We'll leave a key with the bartender if you get in late." Okay. Fine. Well... their flight as delayed. They called the bar to let them know. "No problem," they were told, "We'll leave a key [in some hidden location] if you're not here when we close up."
    After an exhausting, near-2-hour drive from Albany Airport, they arrive to find no light left on (which, in the dark of the mountains is a BIG deal), no bartender, not a soul in sight, and...
    NO KEY!!!
    ANYWHERE!!!
    At 6:10 on the morning of my wedding, I got a call from my dear friend who was sobbing, saying, "I didn't want to call you because I know it's your special day, but I don't know anyone else here." She couldn't even get in to a bathroom there! My fiance had to go get them and lead them back to my parents' house just so she could take a pee and a shower! We laugh about that now, but when I was searching for a place to stay in the Adirondacks next month and I came across Melody Lodge and tripadvisor in the same breath... I just HAD to leave a review.
    We'd eaten at Melody Lodge a time or two before all this mess took place. The food is fine for that general area. The service? Not so much. I was a server for YEARS. Servers who act like THEY are doing ME a favor are a real thorn in my side. Also, we've stayed there. Once. The room? TINY. Also, there's a bar and restaurant downstairs. If you want quiet throughout your stay, this is NOT the place. The breakfast? Nonexistent. If you must stay at Melody Lodge, plan on eating at the little pancake joint on the four corners (you'll know what I'm talking about when you drive up there) behind the Speculator Department Store.

• Stayed: October 2009
    8  Thank tibetanmonkey
    Reviewed 10 August 2010

This Place has obviously grown faster than it can keep up with. I made lodging and dinner reservations 90 days in advance, and when I arrived was not helped, got zero service, and a terrible attitude from the bartender (who I believe is the owner). '

They were obviously over booked for dinner. I stood in the lobby to check in for about 15 minutes, while staff members casually walked around me with blinders on. Not a single person asked if I needed help. I finally had to stop someone in their tracks and make them talk to me. After checked in, I settled in my very small room to get ready for dinner.

I went downstairs for dinner, and again stood their like a fool while everyone walked around and ignored me. I again had to force a waitress to stop and talk to me. Of course my dinner reservation was not kept and there was no table ready. I complained to the man tending bar, who seemed to be running the show there. He said, "are you serious?!" With a terrible attitude. "So you have to wait, so what! We are busy! Do you complain when you go to the doctor, and have to wait?"

I could not believe I was being spoken to this way! We waiting 20 minutes to get seating, and another 20 for some bread and a drink order! I was furious! The food was very good, but again, not worth the terrible service!

After spending the night in our tiny little room, and taking a cold shower, there was no continental breakfast. They put a few apples in a basket next to some pastries and that it! While packing up in the parking to leave, I was still furious over the entire experience and was discussing this with my family. The owner then began yelling out the window taunting me! WE COULD NOT BELIEVE THIS! Telling me he had my money and that’s all that mattered.

I have had a few less then perfect experiences, but never one where the owner was rude and actually taunted and insulted my family and I on our way out.

They are the only restaurant for about 20 miles and know it. They are the only oasis in the desert and treat you as such. You don't have many other options for food in that area so they treat you terribly, knowing you can't really go anywhere else!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
    9  Thank vseufert
    Reviewed 18 July 2010

Coming from the beachfront at a local NYS DEC park, I naturally did not look the part of model in a fine dining advert. Yet, I was treated like a tramp who just came out of the woods when I asked to see a menu for the dining room before I decided to dine. The menu, written entirely in script ( even the prices!!), was thrust as me as if someone who looked winded and a but sun-burnt could not afford such prices, handed to me relucantly and with such condescencion, I would never return to such a hostile enviornment.

• Stayed: July 2010
    3  Thank Sgtfletcher
    Reviewed 14 July 2010

Every summer we stay at Melody Lodge when dropping our kids off at camp in Speculator. We come back because of its rustic charm, and the terrific view of Lake Pleasant off the terrace. Hike all day,come back to sip drinks, nibble appetizers and kick back on the porch. The fine dining is traditional. The rooms are modest, but clean and well maintained. Wake up the next day - no one is around while you sip coffee and watch the mist rise off the lakes. Perfect. Those on staff are hard working and super helpful.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
    1  Thank BeachEpicurean
    Reviewed 10 August 2009

Food was great room was spotless what a great find! the only downside was no coffee in the am.....

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business