“Fantastic mexican food”
Review of El Bandido

El Bandido
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Spring Valley, New York
“Fantastic mexican food”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

This was our first visit - a Saturday night. The place was absolutely packed to the gills but the hostess gave us proper expectations. We were seated in about 20 minutes. Chips and salsa were already at the table - perfectly warm crunchy chips with tasty homemade salsa (tomatoes, onions, cilantro, hot pepper) with the perfect amount of heat. Shortly after we were served complimentary mini cheese quesadillas. It was a nice appetizer.

We ordered a half pitcher of sangria since the cost was the same as two sangrias. The sangrias are delicious but strong - let's just say the boyfriend was the one driving us home! Our entrees were spectacular - we both splurged on shrimp dishes for about $30 each and it was worth every penny. The complimentary chimichangas were a great way to finish an amazing meal. I can't wait to eat the leftovers tomorrow.

I loved the atmosphere - the sounds of happy people talking and eating and the talented mariachi singer was really something special.

A note about service: I felt the service was perfect. The waiter was friendly and there for the beginning and end of the meal. In between the busboys brought our food and refilled our drinks. I honestly don't like hovering service, but if you're interested in chitchatting with the waiter throughout your meal this may not be the restaurant for you.

• Visited December 2013

Shreveport, Louisiana
“An unexpected find so far from the border!”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My wife and I discovered El Bandido, as we have several other great places while traveling, merely by accident. A number of years ago, while my stepson was a cadet at nearby West Point, we stayed in a hotel in Spring Valley. That evening we asked the hotel clerk for some suggestions for eateries in the area. Oddly to us, in his list was a Mexican restaurant -- in New York? Since we are from Louisiana and enjoy Mexican (Tex-Mex) food often, and it had been a while, we decided to give El Bandido a try. What a wonderful surprise! The restaurant is not particularly large and the ambiance is great; complete many nights with a live mariachi band! We get impressions of Mexican restaurants on first try by the quality (to us) of the margaritas and the traditional salsa and chips. All margaritas and salsas are not created equal at all Mexican restaurants. The margaritas we felt were one of the best we've had anywhere. In fact, after the first one, we just ordered a pitcher, since the hotel was only a few blocks away. The salsa was very flavorful and loaded with diced tomatoes, onions, and cilantro as we love it! The food we ordered later was also wonderful in flavor, heat, and portion size. Bottom line, after that first visit almost nine years ago, we have even driven miles out of our way to return to El Bandido at least three more times, and most recently, just last week. So if you are in that part of New York State, and enjoy Mexican cuisine, I highly recommend the experience of El Bandido!

• Visited October 2013
Ringwood, New Jersey
“some good things, some not”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

First off, the food; it's very good. I recently went after not going for a while and I am happy to say the food is better than almost all the other Mexican restaurants in the area. I like the atmosphere too, it's unlike any place around. The only issue I had was the service. The waiter (who speaks English just fine) barely spoke to us; took our order and wasn't back until he gave us the check. Never asked if we wanted another drink, if the meal was okay...nothing. Nowadays service can make up for an okay meal but here there is no service; luckily the food is good otherwise I wouldn't go back.

• Visited September 2013
“Great most of the time...”
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

Been here a number of times over the years and its usually pretty good all around. While the good is still pretty good, the service on this visit was very off. It seemed like the entire restaurant had only 1 or 2 waiters and a lot of busboys. Our party wasn't asked once how our meal was, nor were our drinks (water or other) refreshed. No one came by our table until we called someone over to get the check. It wasn't just us either as I saw this happening I others as well. I could go somewhere else to get food that is probably just as good and get better service. Opinion of this restaurant was lowered a bit this time.

• Visited July 2013
Port Aransas
“Excellent, wish we were there now!”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I was 21 the first time I ever ate at El Bandido's. It was great then and every time my husband and I revisit Rockland we make sure to stop in and have a wonderful meal. It was our first date followed with many anniversaries since then. Muy bien! Sehr gut! Tres bien! It doesn't matter what language you speak... El bandido's is the best!

• Visited December 2012