Belvedere Mansion
BestWestern.com
US$111
US$101
QualityInn
Residence Inn Kingston(Kingston)(Great Value!)
US$175
Courtyard Kingston(Kingston)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$142
Courtyard
Hampton Inn Kingston(Kingston)(Great Value!)
US$205
US$167
Hampton.com
Rodeway Inn(Kingston)
US$65
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I did not refer to Tripadvisor before going to the Belvedere Mansion, but should have. Do not let the Mansion in Belvedere Mansion fool you. This place is anything but a Mansion. The pictures on their site must have been done by a master photographer -- the place looked so serene, nice and clean. Well to my horror upon arriving and seeing my room it was anything but nice or clean. The room reaked (I mean reaked) of mold + mildew and was lit so dimly you could barely see anything. Once I started to look around the level of dust and filth was staggering. I needed a mask just to be in the room. And the other rooms were not much better as I walked around desperate to see if there was something else they could give me. I don't know how the health department has not shut them down!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Paulette R
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I will start by being completely honest in saying that I am one of those people who selfishly reads tons of reviews and never takes the time to write any myself. HOWEVER, after spending 18 months planning a wedding and thinking back to how crazy I drove myself in scrutinizing reviews of potential venues, I feel like I need to pay my dues in offering one for what ended up being my and my now-husband's final, beyond-expectations-in-every-way choice to hold our big day at the Belvedere.

We were set on bringing our family and friends up to Rhinebeck from the NYC area after spending considerable time there ourselves, so it was important to us that we planned a wedding reflecting the spirit of both ourselves and of the area. We had our first, and numerous subsequent, meeting with Jill, who is the point person in coordinating all of the events held there. She was receptive, reasonable, pleasant, and made a point of understanding each and every detail of our vision for the weekend. She recommended vendors -- each of which did a PHENOMENAL job (ironically, the only glitch we had was with the other local inn at which we lodged a portion of our guests), and she worked with whomever we chose in making sure that all of the planning ran smoothly. As the wedding came closer, we had the opportunity to meet Nick, who owns Belvedere, his wife, Patricia, and his son, Serge. We ended up deciding last-minute to hold our rehearsal dinner at a restaurant they own in town, Liberty (another flawless event, but too much to describe in this review), and found that they were also all genuinely dedicated to providing us with the highest possible level of accommodation and service. There were few, if any, glitches leading up to the big day, and I cannot express enough how wonderful Jill and all of the staff were when it came to ensuring that the reception, lodging arrangements, and even the after-party and morning-after brunch ran smoothly. There was not a moment during the reception that I needed anything and didn't find it right in front of me, or a time where I was sought out to worry about a single detail. I enjoyed a completely stress-free wedding from the time that I dropped off my wedding items the week before to the moment the last guest checked out.

Our wedding was held a few weeks ago, and we are still receiving constant calls from our guests with rave reviews about the wedding venue, lodging, and food (even from the brutally honest ones!). It seems that the biggest issue brought up in the previous posts that I remember was about the rooms; I will not dispute that they reflect the historic nature of the inn and that anyone deciding to book their guests in them should certainly check them out beforehand (Jill happily allowed us to look at every room on the premises multiple times before we even signed the contract). Some of them are equipped with tubs that have hand-held shower heads, some are smaller than one might hope based on the room rate. When it came down to the big-picture for us, after having stayed at Belvedere for weekend-trips several times and trying various rooms, we liked how well they reflected the character of the setting and found them consistently clean and comfortable.

I could literally continue typing on and on about how strongly and without reservation I would encourage any interested couples to consider planning a wedding at the Belvedere, but I think I've made my point! I immediately fell in love with this setting the first time that I saw the grounds and walked into the mansion; once my husband and I had a brief conversation with Jill and realized both the completely reasonable value there was in planning a wedding there and the manner in which it represented our personalities and encompassed the Rhinebeck-area experiences we hoped to share with 150 of those closest to us, we never looked back. My wedding there was the best day of my life, and Belvedere -- Jill, Staff, Nick, and family -- was the biggest component (besides my husband and guests!) in making it so. We look forward to visiting over and over again and being able to revisit our unbelievable memories there!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Room Tip: Look at the rooms and carefully consider who would fit best where; the mansion is ideal for people who will be up late partying, and the carriage house for those on a budget. The master suite for the bride and groom is an absolutely gorgeous wedding night setting :)
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Last August, I left a 5 star review for Belvedere after meeting with Jill the coordinator there. I was recently prompted by a private message from a trip advisor user asking how my wedding went to write my update.

After writing that review (very early on in the process!) we made a second trip to the Belvedere (in October) that made us change our mind about having our wedding there.

Our second visit was unnanounced and when we walked in, the owner was actually on the phone in the back office arguing loudly with someone. We heard him say "I already gave you $1,000 worth of free shrimp!" and used some profanity. There were two other employees there who both seemed distraught and didn't make eye contact with us, even after a few minutes of us waiting- painfully trying (and failing) to keep from listening. After being ignored, having heard more than enough, we decided to leave. We were left with a very strange feeling and all questions, no answers.

Needless to say, it left a very big impression on us, and as much as I loved the charm of some of the details there, we decided to steer clear. From the beginning, they insisted that we would have to pay cash- which was a little worrisome as the reviews weren't stellar, what if there was a discrepancy and we wanted a portion of our money back? Would we get yelled at like that person? Get some "free shrimp?" ?? No thanks, not with my wedding day on the line.

We are now going to be having our wedding at Hunter Mountain Resort in Hunter, NY. We liked it right away because we knew all our guests would be more comfortable (no water pressure issues, phones & tvs in the rooms, etc) and in general, the decayed charm of Belvedere--- most people wouldn't find as charming as some of us. The behavior of the owner/manager... NO ONE would find charming.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RobsLady
Reviewed 18 March 2012

The reviews for the Belvedere are so sad to me...the people writing must be used to staying in hotels and not B&B's. I found the place to be an enchanted place...like a elegant old lady aging gracefully. The mansion itself is so lovely...well appointed and cozy, steeped in historic paintings and beautiful antiques. Lots of lovely nooks and crannies to relax in and have a drink or play a game or just sit back and enjoy the classical music. We stayed in one of the lodges on the property and the bed was scrumptious, comfortable and comfy ..the grounds are lovely and quiet...beautiful stars and quiet darkness. We were able to get drinks from the bar and bring them back to our room. Its the kind of place you dream of a fortnight with artists...
We had dinner in town at the Inn owners restaurant and enjoyed an incredible meal, live entertainment and then a meander throughout the town...it was a wonderful weekend.
The staff was friendly and accomodating. I would certainly stay again. You cant be there without appreciating the amount of work these people endure to maintain this massive property. I think its unfair to judge it badly...
B&B's like this are hard to find still...and we loved it.

Room Tip: We would recommend staying in the main house..you just want to walk around at nite in a long silk nightgown with a candlestick in your hand..so charming and magical.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family