“Wonderfully romantic getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Belvedere Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Staatsburg
Belvedere Mansion
Ranked #1 of 1 Staatsburg B&B and Inns
Hope Town
“Wonderfully romantic getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

Our whole family gathered at the Belvedere to celebrate the wedding of our grandson and his bride. Staff was welcoming and experienced with wedding details, food was superb, grounds are lovely, and the rooms are furnished imaginatively with antiques and comfy bedding.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Kingston, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

I am an event planner local to the Belvedere. I have never held an event there - mostly because the owners dont return phone calls. I do drive by the place every day on my way to work and was excited when I was invited to attend another organizations event there last week. The grounds are lovely, but it ends there. The cocktail hour was held in a cramped bar area, which was not air conditioned. Granted, it was a nice evening, but with 70 people in a small room AC would have helped a lot. When we moved into the dining room for dinner I noticed the service was slow and I couldnt even get a refill on my water (they had wanted $4 for a ginger ale during the cocktail hour so I wasnt going to pay for another of those). About half way through my salad I notice my feet and legs were itching so badly I felt like they were on fire. I thought I was having an allergic reaction to something and tried to head home. To my surprise when I got to the parking lot I discovered people had parked in both exits to the lot. I went back in to ask them to make an announcement to have someone move. The owner actually looked at me and said "I wont interupt the party". I had to explain to her that I could call the fire dept and they would cite her or she could go in and ask the people blocking the exits to - she stormed off, but did it.

When I got home and my husband saw my feet and legs, he said "those look like flea bites". I brushed it off and went to bed. The next day, I spoke to numerous people that were there and they were all covered in flea bites. In fact, one person had over 60 bites all over her feet. I did notice a few cats on the property and the dinig room was covered with carpeting.

No one wants to have fleas - especially bringing them home from vacation or worse, holding your wedding in a room infested with them. I hate to write negative reviews and would have called them to complain directly but they are so rude I didnt want to. Just beware......

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
9 Thank ellaandecco

Travellers are raving about these Staatsburg hotels

St. Augustine, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

This was a true bait and switch - the bait being the photos and descriptions on the internet, and the switch being the real life situation. When we arrived we discovered that the room which had appeared spacious was so tiny that we could not find a place to put our suitcase or our toiletries. The stuffing was coming out of the chair, the furniture was worn, the carpet frayed, and even the threshold coming into the room was worn out!! The outside chairs appeared to be so weathered that they would be better off used for firewood. We complained and we given an alternative in the main building. Here we could not find a room with two beds so we "settled" on one queen and suffered through two nights of no sleep. My wife went outside and tried to sleep on one of the moldy chaise lounges on the upper deck, accessible only through the bathroom. We found bugs all over, roaches, and flying insets which came in through the openings near the window airconditioning unit, which was so noisey that we would wake up to the sound of the compressor coming on! Everything in the entire site seemed old, tired, worn out, and suffered from deferred maintenance. There was no shower in our tub (an old type tub with feet, no curtain, and even the valve would not work correctly). The breakfast was not bountiful, sumptuous or gormet, as advertised, but was the same eggs both mornings, and a choice of ham one day or canadian bacon the next (little pieces). Certainlly nothing for a vegetarian, and nothing creative at all. There were no homemade breads, rolls, or pastries, no fresh fruit, and only two juices. Not even close to gormet or sumptuous. About what one might expect at a Denny's. The restaurant was never in operation, and there never was a bartender on duty, but we would not have tried it anyway. The location is right next to Rout 9, a busy noisey road, and the accessibility is a traffic engineer's nightmare. This was a terrible experience and a bad choice. I almost feel like suing for misrepresentation!!
This was clearly one of the worst experiences in a b and b that we have ever experienced. I only wish I had read the other comments on this site BEFORE booking this - and it was not cheap at all.

Room Tip: Avoid location. Period.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank ginny128
New York City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012 via mobile

This was our third stay and our final visit. I was shocked as the place has become very run down. We had paid an extraordinary room rate and unfortunately had two nights booked. We could hardly wait to leave and when we did try to check out - the person was on a long call and could even stop to say good bye. The room in the mansion was small - hot - musty and no attention to detail. The bedspread was old and unappealing. The tiny bathroom floor became soaked because the shower curtain did not reach long enough (a simple thing to fix). The bar was closed. There was a deck off our room but the musty and wet chairs made it unavailable to enjoy.
This place could be a fabulous jewel but the owners must not care enough to make it wonderful. Too bad - the setting is gorgeous.

Stayed August 2012
7 Thank Gianna212
Centrally Isolated, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

My wife and I treated our son and his wife to a one-day stop at the Belvedere. So as not to bury the lead, we were absolutely charmed. If you're considering staying there, it will be best to think of it as a B&B and not as a hotel. Yes, it has a bar and a full service restaurant and looking at their web site you might think of it as a hotel, but doing so will likely lead to disappointment. Simply put, it's worth four-plus stars in a B&B context and a two stars if you're expecting a hotel. The reason I stress this is that I've read any number of negative reviews both about the Belvedere and other places we've stayed where it seems clear that the reviewers didn't really catch on to the fact that the attraction of a lot of B&Bs is precisely that they *aren't* hotels. Don't expect turndowns, mints on your pillows (though there was a decanter of port in our room), 24/7 room service, palatial baths, and realize that no elevators, porters, phones, TVs, wi-fi, or exercise rooms might be regarded as plusses, rather than deal-breakers.

We stayed in the Mansion, so can't comment on the Carriage House, the Hunt Lodge, or the Zen Lodge--you'll have to look at the other reviews to find out about those. We were lucky enough to get the two front rooms (Astor and Lafayette, if memory serves) one of which had a balcony and both of which had views of the Hudson River and the Catskills beyond. Both rooms were smallish and had en suite baths. The rooms and baths were clean and the beds were extremely comfortable, especially if you like firm mattresses. We arrived at the end of a 95+ degree day and although the public spaces were warm, the AC in our rooms made them a welcome respite (not to mention that the first thing we did on arrival was change into swim suits and dash into the lovely pool out back).

My wife and I have spent a lot of time in the Hudson River valley visiting old mansions and were delighted to have been able to actually stay in one. The Belvedere was built at the turn of the last century, replacing a much older house that had burned down. Uncharacteristically for Hudson River mansions, it's in what's (inaccurately) called colonial revival style, with the expected collection of Corinthian pillars, piazzas, gazebos, and the like. It's a Miss Havisham kind of place: an elegant old lady, fallen on somewhat hard times. The present proprietors have done a commendable job of attempting to replicate what the feel of place must have been, doing the best they could on a budget of less than seven figures. The original parlor, sitting room, library and so on have been given over to dining areas and a cozy bar but they kept the morning room on a landing between the first and second floors. On the north side of the first floor there is a large sunny lounge with a big-screen TV where we caught up on the Olympics. The complementary breakfast was a cut above the average for a B&B and the service was attentive, prompt, and competent.

Our only complaints were exceedingly minor: it would have been nice to have coffee and tea set up in the lounge and we'd have appreciated a brochure or the like about the house itself--what shape was it in when it was converted to a B&B/hotel, what were the rooms' original functions, who were the original owners?

In short, we'd go back to the Belvedere in a second. It was expensive, but no worse than a number of places in nearby Rhinebeck (all of which were either fully booked when I was looking for places to stay, didn't accept credit cards, or required a two-night minimum). That said, we all agreed that it was worth every cent. If our experience was typical, you should put this place on your to-visit list.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Traumatik
Penang Island, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Fool that I am, I neglected to check Trip Advisor before I booked two nights here whilst we were traveling through the Hudson Valley. The place aspires to shabby chic, but unfortunately just scrapes up to shabby and maintenance was clearly a dirty word. I suppose one could cope with:
the bugs in the room,
the broken taps,
the stale sheets,
the moldy smelling towels,
the broken plaster and pealing paint,
the very uncomfortable bed with springs stabbing in ones back,
the wasps nest outside the window,
the blocked gutter outside the window which inflicted upon us the noise of a horse peeing for most of the night,
and even the torn fabrics of the lamps and lack of light bulbs !
But when it came to receiving an electric shock (thank god America is 110 V,) from the hairdryer in the bathroom when i dried my hair.... that was the final straw. Obviously the electrics were installed by Benjamin Franklin ! Until then we'd just drunk through it and tried to see the funny side. Now I was getting angry and insisted we leave.
I stomped downstairs and politely, but firmly, told the woman at the desk that we were leaving a day early and wanted our second nights payment refunded (she'd insisted we pay in advance for both nights.) Initially reluctant, she became rather helpful when I suggested that if we weren't refunded our second nights payment, "I would start suing for the electrical shock and mus-representation of the hotel on the internet." Amazingly how the threat of litigation motivates people to be helpful.
We were refunded the second night (but not the first night) and offered another room for the second night at no cost. FOOLISHLY we accepted, for really couldn't be bothered to move again. In truth, the room was a little better, it was certainly less gloomy, but the sheets and towels were still stale, crack's in the plaster were still evident and the taps wouldn't work in the bath at all ! In addition, the thermostat had a mind of its own and we sweated all night under a single sheet when it was about 50F outside. Couldn't even open the window for they were painted shut. Anyway, you get the impression.
Alright, you can stop laughing now !

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Drusilla G
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

Do not let the "WiFi throughout the grounds" fool you - the ONLY place you will receive Wifi is if you stand directly in front of the reception desk, or stay in one of the rooms above the reception desk (in which case, you will be subject to ringing phones and constant walking/banging!). We stayed in the Stables, which was nice, but it could have done with a proper clean as the corners of the room were dirty and the room had a musky smell to it. Bathroom was newly renovated though which was nice. Also, the door/walls are very thin so you hear everyone outside, including when your neighbours open/close their door.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steeeee69
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staatsburg
Hampton Inn Kingston
Quality Inn Hyde Park
#2 of 4 in Hyde Park
Stonegate Bed and Breakfast
Church des Artistes Guest House

Been to Belvedere Mansion? Share your experiences!