“"DISGUSTING"”
Review of Belvedere Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Staatsburg
Belvedere Mansion
Ranked #1 of 1 Staatsburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I recently attended a wedding at the Belvedere and was assigned to stay in the Vanderbilt Suite and I must say, I have never in my entire life paid so much for a room (over $350.00) that was so filthy and so entirely run down.
The room was in desperate need of a painting, the curtains were filthy, the old and disgusting carpet forced us to wear shoes whenever we put our feet on the floor and the furniture was so old and completely unusable that your facility is opening itself up for a major liability if someone uses a chair and it disintegrates under them. Beside all that, the window mounted air conditioner was so old, noisy and dirty that it was hardly worth using and it was so ill fitted into the window that beetle bugs infiltrated the room the entire time we were there. The bathroom was entirely in a class by itself. Where on this entire planet does one rent a room for the evening, and especially for a wedding, where there is no shower and no shower curtain to contain any water. I had to shower and/or bathe on my knees. And for a guy like me who recently had a double hip replacement, that was excruciating and humiliating. The bathroom floor was totally soaking wet after that fiasco and made the floor akin to an ice skating rink.
The management of this run down, ill managed facility should be ashamed of themselves for renting a room such as the one we stayed in for such an inflated and outrageous price and for showing a completely different view of that same room on your web site. You should all be sued for false advertising.
Saying that the service, value, sleep quality, cleanliness, location, rooms, kids activities and fitness center were terrible is not really saying how terrible they really were.
I vow to make it a priority in my daily life to tell everyone that will listen what a disgraceful and terrible place the Belvedere Mansion really is. I will also post this on every web site I can that offers the opportunity to write hotel reviews.
I will never, ever stay in your facility again and will make sure no one I know ever does.

Room Tip: Here's a tip to help travelers pick a good room......STAY AT THE HOLIDAY INN DOWN THE ROAD...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank Richard L

Reviewed 27 August 2013

This property is in a great location overlooking the Hudson River. That is the best thing about it. It appears to be geared to weddings. We were quite surprised that there was not one place on the first floor to sit. All sofas, chairs and tables had been removed from the living areas. Two front rooms were set up for dining for many people - possibly wedding groups. Breakfasts were very good. This is an older property and I understand that this makes it charming. However, the facilities are not kept up at all. Furniture was stained; bedding was very uncomfortable. I believe this is on their website but prospective guests should know that there is no air conditioning, no phone service or internet, no television or phones in the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank prstir
Reviewed 20 August 2013

So unique and so perfect. Every detail is just perfect! The rooms, the bar, the pool, none of my photos do justice to this place, one has to go there to see it...I saw someone here saying something negative about the attic apartment? For me that was the most amazing room in the mansion. That bathroom in that room is so unique! The entire property is eclectic so it was breath of fresh air to us while we were in the US.
The restaurant wasn't working at the time we were there, so the worst part of our stay was the fact that we ever had to leave the property :)
But the owners have two great places in Rhineback, one is Arielle restaurant which is equally amazing as belvedere (different style but again very unique) and the food is A MA ZING, and the other one is Liberty-two minute walk from Arielle, and there's a bar and a club there.
The design of all of these places are so so so perfect that you would actually assume that the same guys are owners of all three properties!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We really loved this place because it has so much personality and so much potential. Five of us shared the three bedroom attic accommodations. The furniture was threadbare. The windows had no shades so the morning light poured in way too early. One room had no AC. The bathroom was large but the old tub was difficult to shower in with the hand held shower head. With some freshening up it could be 5 star!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MissMem
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My son's wedding was at The Belvedere Mansion so we really got to experience this place. We had all of the accommodations, a Friday night buffet, the wedding and reception and Sunday brunch. The place is stunning and even though it is filled with antiques, they always made us feel like it was home. It is a beautiful place and near many interesting things to do. I can't wait to go back for a weekend.

Room Tip: You can do a victorian room or a very modern one. I love the Roosevelt in the Victorian fell main h...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Wen47
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This was one of the worst places I have stayed in, ever. Our room was disgusting - musty, small, with peeling wallpaper, a shredded lampshade and stained sheets. The chair in the room was also stained. There was also no nightstand for one side of the bed, no TV, no full length mirror and no hairdryer.

We asked for extra toilet paper since we were almost out and a couple extra pillows and after 4 hours when they didn't come, we went to the front desk again to ask [there's no telephones in the room] and went to dinner. We came back to find a roll of toilet paper and the pillows on a filthy chair outside the room, covered in bugs.

The property could be gorgeous with a lot of investment and some decent service. Its very close to Rhinebeck and the historic mansions. But don't waste your time or money.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank abbygailnyc
Reviewed 5 December 2012

We stayed at the Belvedere for the New Year's Celebration and spent two nights there a few years back. Our rooms were in the attic of the "mansion". First thing I noticed was a dark rusty (what looked like blood) stain on the pillow on my bed. It gave me chills right away. The attic had three bedrooms and one living room. Everything was sticky and dusty. I stayed there with a family of 6 and we all felt uneasy there. Like we were being watched. Kids were afraid to leave our side. Towards the evening on our first night, we stayed in our bedrooms and my mother was reading her rosary. Suddenly, we heard a loud explosion! We all ran out of our rooms and saw that an old antique mirror that hung on the wall, simply exploded into a million pieces. The evil of Belvedere did not like the rosary being read, evidently. We hardly slept that night. Kids hated the energy of the place and called it hunted. The following morning we noticed that in the heart of winter, we have not heat nor hot water. Nice! We approached a very snobbish hostess and told her about our misfortunes with the mirror and heat. She suggested a bungalow rooms for an extra $150 per night each family! There was not heat in the bungalow ether! So we were moved around until the clock striked midnight! The New Years "dinner" was a pure disgust! Pea soup, for instance had no taste at all. It had no flavor! It was green alright but who can prove it's made out of peas! "Well done stake" was dripping with blood and tasted like rubber. Service was poor and slow. We were so miserable. With horrid service, evil forces at power and disgusting food our New Years celebration was ruined. Please save your money and do not ever go there!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank MoonLight759
Nick R, Guest Relations Manager at Belvedere Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

although Belvedere Mansion is always appreciative of all feedback (negative & positive), It can be challanging since all comments are 'subjective'. Pertaining to these particular comments, there are most certainly no 'evil' spirits, nor anything of the kind at the Mansion. The Restaurant at the Belvedere has been written about in Bon Apetit, Wine Spectator, in addition to several european publications. I can assure anyone reading this that these prestigious periodicals would not have deemed the cuisine as worthy enough to write about if any of these comments were accurate. The other unfortunate thing is that for any hotel it is imporrisble to help a guest or improve any perceived infraction if not they are not informed in a timely manner. Guest Services at the Belvedere is immediately responsive to all of their guests. Where adjustments to room accommodations are requested (for any reason), it is taken seriously and attended to promptly. I encourage the readers of this negative review to continue reading through the more positive, more well thought through comments on this beautifully restored, jewel of a Hudson Valley property.

Been to Belvedere Mansion? Share your experiences!