“Nice Experience”

Catskill Bed & Breakfast Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Stamford B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I had the pleasure to stay and enjoyed Lily and Louis. The house is decorated with period pieces suited to the era of the home. If you are looking for a new BB then one should book a room at the Hilton. I always try to remember this is someone sharing their home.

Room Tip: 2nd floor or third floor room third bedroom
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
CatskillsBandB, Owner at Catskill Bed & Breakfast Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

:lewis and Lila

There are newer reviews for Catskill Bed & Breakfast Spa

Reviewed 30 July 2013

OMG - What a nightmare of a stay! Nothing like the website and definitely not worth that price! I should have read reviews on this! All the bad reviews were right! We gave it our best try, but couldn't sleep all night! We snuck out right behind the other 3 guests early in the a.m. so not to have to confront this owner! He talked our ears off about obscure higher level thinking crap (friend was upset because he talked only at her! - no conversation there!) and the food was horrible - re-heated food from days ago and potato sticks from a can??? My friend was afraid because there was no security AT ALL! Our room couldn't be locked and he told us he never locked the house. No privacy is a given. Give me a break - CHEAP PLASTIC MATTRESS COVERS! and no mattress pad, so the sheets kept sliding off every time you turned over. AND NO HEAT! He did give us a electric space heater finally, but made so much noise had to turn it off. We weren't hanging around for a massage - don't think they are State certified for that and not taking any chances! The yard was a mess in the back and much was in need of major repairs and cleaning. The side porch was full of junk. NO SIGN IN FRONT! They made us take our shoes off at the door. We could have stayed at a 5 star luxury hotel for the price.

Room Tip: Go someplace else!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank nrstrong

We prepare our food fresh from whole food ingredients. We do serve chips for our guests. We sadly are not able to make our potato sticks from scratch so they do come from a can. There are no external locks on our rooms but they can be locked from within .This is stated on our website and in an e-mail all guest receive when they make their reservation. My guess is that the guest did not read the “User Guide”. Our 114 year old historic home is in a rural area and quite safe. Every room has a space heater and if a guest is cold every room has extra heavy blankets. We do not have a sign in front of our business because the people we want to find us know where we are. We are a licensed and certified business and are proud members of the local chamber of commerce. We constantly ask our guest if they need anything. This guest never expressed dissatisfaction when asked. We did not “We did ask them

“To Take off Their Shoes at the Door” We have 150 year old fine Persian carpets throughout the house. This does not seem to me to be a an unreasonable request

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Oh I wished that I had gone to Tripadvisor before I booked this site. I had recently gone through exploratory surgery with negative results. Wanted to take my wife on a potential last trip before
next set of medical treatments. Just a short get away. This place was everything your other negative reviewers stated. No Air conditioning on a 90 plus day. I am coming off surgery, and this Inn Keeper is saying I will be fine in a 90 plus degree room on the second floor. I would have never booked this place knowing it did not have AC. Nor would I have ever booked this place If I had seen its general condition. I do hope someone who has NOT YET booked this place reads this and doesn't have to have my experience. I would not wish this place on my worst enemy. No one should be allowed to do to people what this Inn Keeper is doing to the unsuspecting public. My recommendation is run don't walk away.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SteveCalos
LewisHarrison, Owner at Catskill Bed & Breakfast Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

This is an unfair review. What this guest left out in their review was
1. They booked through Hotel.com and the information on Hotels.com site did not mention air conditioning though our website says we do not have AC. We supplied them with 4 fans but they said this did not work.
2.. These guests never even stayed with us. They switched with their friends who did stay here and seemed happy. In the evening the temperature was in the low 70s and we do not have AC because this is a cool mountain location.
3. We gave them a refund for the second night though we did not have to do so.

We were kind gracious, generous and sympathetic to the fact that this gentleman had just had surgery. We offered them fans, ice water, and a switch with their friends amd a refund. I'm not sure what else we could have done or why they chose not to mention these facts in their review.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

My wife and I had a very enjoyable weekend in the Catskills. The accommodations were fine, the food was good, and the hosts were gracious. We prefer the intimacy of a small setting like this rather than a large, impersonal hotel.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your kind review. We are a small B & B and do everything to make our guest's stay pleasant and memorable in all the best ways

Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

The owner of this B&B asked me to not write a review unless it would be positive; however, I believe in giving honest and unbiased feedback. I think that to truly do well in the service industry you need to put your customers needs and wants first and to be open to feedback and criticism, not just dismiss it or place it on others.
The owners of this B&B were sweet and welcoming people. It is a lovely old house in a quaint and friendly little town. The downstairs of the house was nicely decorated and our room and private bath were dated but comfortable. Several other parts of the house were not well maintained or furnished and I likely would have been disappointed to wind up in those areas.
Lewis, the owner, is a knowledgable and interesting man who describes himself as "eccentric". As stated in other reviews, he seems to enjoy the companionship of guests as a platform to share his own stories. While he does ask if you mind his company, I think it would take an awfully rude person to ask him to stop talking or leave the table. He enjoys sitting with his guests at meals which at times is entertaining and at times uncomfortable.
The meals he prepares are unique and tasty although I find it misleading to call them "gourmet". We purchased a seven course meal with wine pairing and needed to ask for wine several times only to be offered a mixture of two bad wines combined.
While there were aspects of the trip that we enjoyed, I did not feel it was worth what we spent. I tried to speak with Lewis about this but he became very defensive and blamed Living Social for faulty advertising. I became so upset that I needed to ask him to stop talking about it. My recommendation would be to speak with them first and be clear about what you are expecting and not assume you will get what is included in your advertised package

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank Monique W

we appreciate this review. All feedback enables us to offer better customer service.

We offer simple "gourmet" vegetarian fare and a choice of Red, White or Rose.

We have different types of rooms here some filled with antiques and other more basic furnishings for those seeking something simpler who who may have children. I am glad they liked their accomodations. The other rooms would not have been appropriate for them.

Reviewed 11 November 2012

The building is a beautiful old mansion in a very quaint town. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The innkeeper is a somewhat overbearing host. He is a nice guy but seems to forget that we are his guests and not his audience. During breakfast with other guests, he had a tendency to both interrupt and monopolize the conversations, which were mostly about himself. The breakfast was minimal but ok. He cooked eggs for guests and served fruit, tea and coffee. The eggs were very small portions and the coffee was flavored and lukewarm. I prefer just plain coffee for breakfasts. It does appear that the innkeeper is struggling to keep this place open. It is a very large building to heat so there was very little heat in the place (which is understandable) and our room was comfortably warmed with a small space heater. The bathroom was dated but clean. It is a very lovely place, but I think the innkeeper needs to pay more attention to his guests’ needs and not his; especially if he wants guests to return or recommend this place. This was not a horrible experience but there is most definitely room for improvement. During breakfast we did meet his wife who was a lovely woman and treated us like guests.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Let me start by saying that I've never been so stressed on vacay in my entire life....where do I begin? Well, I'm considering to fight for a full refund from Living Social if that tells you anything- My bf and I were "welcomed" with a screw-up with our room, so now we're in a musty, moldy room, with no curtains, no a/c, windows that don't open, toiletries from other hotels, and a door that didn't close/lock. Getting linens and towels was a job in and of itself so we decided on settling on the torn linens we were given plus the one towel to share between the two of us to just avoid the aggravation and to avoid having to deal with the owner who is clearly an unbalanced, lonely man who kept cornering us to talk incessantly about himself whenever he had the opportunity-how brilliant he is, how many books he's written, how he's contributed to economics and game theory.....it got so bad that we had to strategically plan our exit/return to our room to avoid running into him which was of course, impossible. If we hadn't already had a prior engagement in the area we would have left within the hour upon arriving but unfortunately, we were stuck. To make matters worse, the food was a joke-this self-proclaimed chef (who btw looked very unkempt, dirty clothes,hands,finger nails) offered us each one under-done frozen waffle for breakfast and cold coffee (which we did not eat) so now of course we have to shell out more $$$$ for meals for the entire weekend. We even declined an offer for a 7 course meal cooked by him to make up for the room mix-up. After a closer look at his appearance and the thought of several hours trapped with this man at dinner (he joins the guests for meals and talks about, guess what....himself) we decided to pass. I had no interest in returning back home with a case of Botulism or a prescription for Xanax:( I could go on but there's enough time in the day to mention everything....my biggest regret is not having read the reviews on Yelp before buying my Living Social voucher. But I won't be making that mistake ever again. Undeniably the WORST vacation and bed & breakfast experience I've ever had......!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank OhmShantiOhm

These guests did not receive the refund they requested from living social because they were dishonest with much of what they said. All of our rooms are thoroughly cleaned after each guest. Beds have fresh linen (high thread count linen) and fresh towels for each guest–As many as they wish. If they did not have the towels they wanted it is because they did not ask. We speak with guest. We ask them about where they are from, what kind of work they do etc. We only do this with permission. I am a clean an sanitary person. Nails, hair, clothes kitchen. I do not always shave. Our waffles are made from scratch from WW Floor, baking soda and yogurt and served with real maple syrup. If guest wish they can also order toast, eggs, jam, tea, cold and hot cereal etc. I’m sorry they did not appreciate my cooking. Many people do. Our Hazelnut Coffee is brewed fresh and hot. Because they were unhappy with their room and we could not move them because we were fully booked we offered them both full dinners. We thought this was being gracious on our part.

It seems that they did not like my cooking and also felt the portions were too small.
We truly care about our guests. When they ask for what they need we respond immediately.
We they do not communicate their needs we cannot address them.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
Albergo Allegria
Albergo Allegria
#1 of 7 in Windham
Stamford Gables
Stamford Gables
#1 of 4 in Stamford
The Colonial B&B At Stamford

Been to Catskill Bed & Breakfast Spa? Share your experiences!