“Beware” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 4 Stamford B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Beware”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Stumbled upon this place during their "estate sale" Labor Day weekend. AKA, an excuse for them to sell off the entire contents of the house and assorted DVDs, his wife's shoes, cheapo sunglasses, etc. the owner, who was accurately described in the negative reviews below gave us a tour of the place. Not impressive. Dirty and in need of some serious updating. Retro brown tile bathrooms. Not quaint and antique-y, just shabby and creepy.

Stayed August 2013
2 Thank A B
CatskillsBandB, Owner at Catskill Bed & Breakfast Spa, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Sometimes I am amazed by how people see negative even in the positive and miss the obvious while seeing the negative.

Based on this review this guest who says she “stumbled upon” our B &b did not read our website and made assumptions that would not have been made if she had.

We did have an estate sale. We always have estate sales . That is because my wife and I buy and sell estates . Our home is a 116 year old nationally registered historic property. It was one of the Victorian Mansions featured in the “Delaware County Historical homes tour 2011.” You can actually Google this.

Our website states that we have an antique shop on the premises and that we are the headquarters for the Catskill Art and Culture Festival. Many guests come here from around the world to see and purchase our antiques and experience the arts. Since this guest says they “stumbled upon” our B & B I will assume they never looked at our website.
After we buy an estate we sell it off piece by piece and fill the house with new antiques..

Essentially we get to live in what seems like an elegant museum.
What does “shabby” and “creepy” mean? There is no bar. We do not allow smoking? We serve natural food meals. My wife and I are pleasant, polite people who care for our guests. This is not the Adam’s Family home and we are not the Munsters. It is professionally cleaned, filled with light, and is warm and friendly.

As for the on-going estate sale? Most of our guests think is it a charming approach.
This guest says we need to update our house. ??????
It is a 116 year old historic Victorian mansion. Update to what? We and most of our guest like the 1898 Victorian style.

We are sorry the guest had other expectations and we wish them well.

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Salem, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

I had the pleasure to stay and enjoyed Lily and Louis. The house is decorated with period pieces suited to the era of the home. If you are looking for a new BB then one should book a room at the Hilton. I always try to remember this is someone sharing their home.

Room Tip: 2nd floor or third floor room third bedroom
Green Features: Very nice, Lewis is an organic Gardner and has a knowledge as well as Lily on edible flowers.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

:lewis and Lila
Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

OMG - What a nightmare of a stay! Nothing like the website and definitely not worth that price! I should have read reviews on this! All the bad reviews were right! We gave it our best try, but couldn't sleep all night! We snuck out right behind the other 3 guests early in the a.m. so not to have to confront this owner! He talked our ears off about obscure higher level thinking crap (friend was upset because he talked only at her! - no conversation there!) and the food was horrible - re-heated food from days ago and potato sticks from a can??? My friend was afraid because there was no security AT ALL! Our room couldn't be locked and he told us he never locked the house. No privacy is a given. Give me a break - CHEAP PLASTIC MATTRESS COVERS! and no mattress pad, so the sheets kept sliding off every time you turned over. AND NO HEAT! He did give us a electric space heater finally, but made so much noise had to turn it off. We weren't hanging around for a massage - don't think they are State certified for that and not taking any chances! The yard was a mess in the back and much was in need of major repairs and cleaning. The side porch was full of junk. NO SIGN IN FRONT! They made us take our shoes off at the door. We could have stayed at a 5 star luxury hotel for the price.

Room Tip: Go someplace else!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank nrstrong
We prepare our food fresh from whole food ingredients. We do serve chips for our guests. We sadly are not able to make our potato sticks from scratch so they do come from a can. There are no external locks on our rooms but they can be locked from within .This is stated on our website and in an e-mail all guest receive when they make their reservation. My guess is that the guest did not read the “User Guide”. Our 114 year old historic home is in a rural area and quite safe. Every room has a space heater and if a guest is cold every room has extra heavy blankets. We do not have a sign in front of our business because the people we want to find us know where we are. We are a licensed and certified business and are proud members of the local chamber of commerce. We constantly ask our guest if they need anything. This guest never expressed dissatisfaction when asked. We did not “We did ask them

“To Take off Their Shoes at the Door” We have 150 year old fine Persian carpets throughout the house. This does not seem to me to be a an unreasonable request

Travellers are raving about these Stamford hotels

Fairport, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Oh I wished that I had gone to Tripadvisor before I booked this site. I had recently gone through exploratory surgery with negative results. Wanted to take my wife on a potential last trip before
next set of medical treatments. Just a short get away. This place was everything your other negative reviewers stated. No Air conditioning on a 90 plus day. I am coming off surgery, and this Inn Keeper is saying I will be fine in a 90 plus degree room on the second floor. I would have never booked this place knowing it did not have AC. Nor would I have ever booked this place If I had seen its general condition. I do hope someone who has NOT YET booked this place reads this and doesn't have to have my experience. I would not wish this place on my worst enemy. No one should be allowed to do to people what this Inn Keeper is doing to the unsuspecting public. My recommendation is run don't walk away.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SteveCalos
LewisHarrison, Owner at Catskill Bed & Breakfast Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
This is an unfair review. What this guest left out in their review was
1. They booked through Hotel.com and the information on Hotels.com site did not mention air conditioning though our website says we do not have AC. We supplied them with 4 fans but they said this did not work.
2.. These guests never even stayed with us. They switched with their friends who did stay here and seemed happy. In the evening the temperature was in the low 70s and we do not have AC because this is a cool mountain location.
3. We gave them a refund for the second night though we did not have to do so.

We were kind gracious, generous and sympathetic to the fact that this gentleman had just had surgery. We offered them fans, ice water, and a switch with their friends amd a refund. I'm not sure what else we could have done or why they chose not to mention these facts in their review.
East Windsor, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

My wife and I had a very enjoyable weekend in the Catskills. The accommodations were fine, the food was good, and the hosts were gracious. We prefer the intimacy of a small setting like this rather than a large, impersonal hotel.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your kind review. We are a small B & B and do everything to make our guest's stay pleasant and memorable in all the best ways
Syracuse, New York, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

The owner of this B&B asked me to not write a review unless it would be positive; however, I believe in giving honest and unbiased feedback. I think that to truly do well in the service industry you need to put your customers needs and wants first and to be open to feedback and criticism, not just dismiss it or place it on others.
The owners of this B&B were sweet and welcoming people. It is a lovely old house in a quaint and friendly little town. The downstairs of the house was nicely decorated and our room and private bath were dated but comfortable. Several other parts of the house were not well maintained or furnished and I likely would have been disappointed to wind up in those areas.
Lewis, the owner, is a knowledgable and interesting man who describes himself as "eccentric". As stated in other reviews, he seems to enjoy the companionship of guests as a platform to share his own stories. While he does ask if you mind his company, I think it would take an awfully rude person to ask him to stop talking or leave the table. He enjoys sitting with his guests at meals which at times is entertaining and at times uncomfortable.
The meals he prepares are unique and tasty although I find it misleading to call them "gourmet". We purchased a seven course meal with wine pairing and needed to ask for wine several times only to be offered a mixture of two bad wines combined.
While there were aspects of the trip that we enjoyed, I did not feel it was worth what we spent. I tried to speak with Lewis about this but he became very defensive and blamed Living Social for faulty advertising. I became so upset that I needed to ask him to stop talking about it. My recommendation would be to speak with them first and be clear about what you are expecting and not assume you will get what is included in your advertised package

• Stayed January 2013
5 Thank Monique W
we appreciate this review. All feedback enables us to offer better customer service.

We offer simple "gourmet" vegetarian fare and a choice of Red, White or Rose.

We have different types of rooms here some filled with antiques and other more basic furnishings for those seeking something simpler who who may have children. I am glad they liked their accomodations. The other rooms would not have been appropriate for them.
NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

The building is a beautiful old mansion in a very quaint town. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The innkeeper is a somewhat overbearing host. He is a nice guy but seems to forget that we are his guests and not his audience. During breakfast with other guests, he had a tendency to both interrupt and monopolize the conversations, which were mostly about himself. The breakfast was minimal but ok. He cooked eggs for guests and served fruit, tea and coffee. The eggs were very small portions and the coffee was flavored and lukewarm. I prefer just plain coffee for breakfasts. It does appear that the innkeeper is struggling to keep this place open. It is a very large building to heat so there was very little heat in the place (which is understandable) and our room was comfortably warmed with a small space heater. The bathroom was dated but clean. It is a very lovely place, but I think the innkeeper needs to pay more attention to his guests’ needs and not his; especially if he wants guests to return or recommend this place. This was not a horrible experience but there is most definitely room for improvement. During breakfast we did meet his wife who was a lovely woman and treated us like guests.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple