“Creepy”

GreenLeadersBronze level
WEST STOCKBRIDGE
“Creepy”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

When we showed up at this B&B at 6:30 in the afternoon and the owner told us that our room was not yet ready, I realized that I should have researched this B&B on Tripadvisor before making the reservation.

Now that I have read the reviews, I can honestly say that the overwhelmingly negative reviews are accurate. The word that best describes our experience there is...creepy. It was by far the worst B&B experience of our lives.

Instead of getting our room ready or even inviting us inside the inn, the owner brought us over to his front lawn to show us his artwork which he described as 'exquisite'. When we saw that it was just firewood scattered on the grass and that he was wearing his shirt on backwards, I realized we had made a mistake in coming here. The visit only got worse from there.

Other reviewers have described it better than I could. For the kind of money he charges, he should at the very least have provided a shower!

Please avoid this B&B!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SHAKERMILL

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

From a distance the building looked as beautiful as the website photograph, but this was very misleading. The paint on the wood cladding needs renewing, and some of the wood is rotting. But the worst is inside - terrible bedrooms and shocking service.

Our room was the "Herb Garden View". The view did not justify the title - an unkempt little patch with an untidy woodpile and double garage in the background. The room was dimly lit (though four of the five bulbs in the ceiling chandelier did work), with no mirror and only one bedside light. The mirror and an additional lamp were provided on request, but it was left to us to find a place for the mirror (we removed a picture from a wall and hung the mirror there) and to plug in the ancient lamp. The venetian blind on one window was only half length so at night we covered the lower half of the window with a warped board apparently left there for the purpose. The curtains on the other windows were unmatched and grubby. The window sills were filthy. There were wall pegs for clothes but too few hangers for them - a mixed set was provided on request. The entrance door was not lockable but could be bolted from the inside. A door to the back deck was behind another curtain and appeared to be locked. Within a dark, unlit alcove was a further door, which didn't quite fill its frame and led to the kitchen; this door also appeared to be locked. The alcove also contained a locked cupboard and an unlit, dusty set of shelves. The bedroom had a further, locked cupboard.

The bathroom was worse. The entrance was via an alcove (with yet another locked cupboard), one wall of which was covered in dirty, cracked plaster. The bathroom ceiling light was designed for five light bulbs but two were missing and of the three (naked) bulbs only was lit. Only one of the two wall lamps above the sink was working. The ceramic soap dish was badly cracked - it seemed to have been broken and glued back together - and the same for the toothbrush rack. The bath/shower taps were mislabelled, the hot as cold and vice versa. The shower did not keep a constant temperature, unpredictably changing to cold or (much more dangerously) very hot. The bathroom sink had no plug and the owners were unable to provide one so we were unable to do any personal washing.

We had no control over the heating. We arrived on a chill evening and found the windows open and the room cold. The owner rather begrudgingly switched on the hot-air heating but we could subsequently find no way to turn it down or off and spent an uncomfortably warm night. (The owners were not around, seemingly occupying a separate building in the grounds.)

Our cousins were with also staying there and had the "Mountain View" room. Paper was hanging loose from the ceiling. Under the bathroom sink was grime and what seemed to be old building materials. The drawers of the cabinet contained miscellaneous boxes and objects, including packs and bottles of pharmaceuticals.

Service overall was almost absent. Our room was unserviced during our 3-night stay. The bed was not remade, the bathroom waste bin was not emptied, the towels were not renewed. We were given a WiFi code but the WiFi was usually switched off so whenever we wanted to use it we had to seek out the owner and ask for it to be switched back on.

Breakfast was dreadful. The owner claimed to have been a chef but the eggs and pancakes that he prepared looked so awful (and those who had ordered them failed to finish eating them) that we stuck to cereal and yoghurt. On the 2nd morning - a Sunday - when there were six guests he kept forgetting what had been ordered. The owner was unwilling to let us see his kitchen and one guest who attempted to enter it was immediately ushered out.

Finally, when we departed the owners were nowhere to be seen. I advise avoiding this place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peter R
Ronks, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The pictures we viewed on the website were beautiful, but found the B & B to be totally disappointing when we arrived. Room not ready, outside of property very disappointing, not at all like the pictures on their website. The breakfast served was average. The information we were sent stated there was a room including a big screen TV with hi-tech speakers, games, etc. of which none we saw or were offered. Lighting in bedroom very poor. Had to move a light onto the table in our room to use to play cards. Two lamps in bedroom, each had 40 watt bulbs. No overhead lighting. Were told too early in season to turn heat on, given an electric space heater to use in our bedroom.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jay M
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Stumbled upon this place during their "estate sale" Labor Day weekend. AKA, an excuse for them to sell off the entire contents of the house and assorted DVDs, his wife's shoes, cheapo sunglasses, etc. the owner, who was accurately described in the negative reviews below gave us a tour of the place. Not impressive. Dirty and in need of some serious updating. Retro brown tile bathrooms. Not quaint and antique-y, just shabby and creepy.

Stayed August 2013
2 Thank A B
CatskillsBandB, Owner at Catskill Bed & Breakfast Spa, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Sometimes I am amazed by how people see negative even in the positive and miss the obvious while seeing the negative.

Based on this review this guest who says she “stumbled upon” our B &b did not read our website and made assumptions that would not have been made if she had.

We did have an estate sale. We always have estate sales . That is because my wife and I buy and sell estates . Our home is a 116 year old nationally registered historic property. It was one of the Victorian Mansions featured in the “Delaware County Historical homes tour 2011.” You can actually Google this.

Our website states that we have an antique shop on the premises and that we are the headquarters for the Catskill Art and Culture Festival. Many guests come here from around the world to see and purchase our antiques and experience the arts. Since this guest says they “stumbled upon” our B & B I will assume they never looked at our website.
After we buy an estate we sell it off piece by piece and fill the house with new antiques..

Essentially we get to live in what seems like an elegant museum.
What does “shabby” and “creepy” mean? There is no bar. We do not allow smoking? We serve natural food meals. My wife and I are pleasant, polite people who care for our guests. This is not the Adam’s Family home and we are not the Munsters. It is professionally cleaned, filled with light, and is warm and friendly.

As for the on-going estate sale? Most of our guests think is it a charming approach.
This guest says we need to update our house. ??????
It is a 116 year old historic Victorian mansion. Update to what? We and most of our guest like the 1898 Victorian style.

We are sorry the guest had other expectations and we wish them well.
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I had the pleasure to stay and enjoyed Lily and Louis. The house is decorated with period pieces suited to the era of the home. If you are looking for a new BB then one should book a room at the Hilton. I always try to remember this is someone sharing their home.

Room Tip: 2nd floor or third floor room third bedroom
Green Features: Very nice, Lewis is an organic Gardner and has a knowledge as well as Lily on edible flowers.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

:lewis and Lila
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 July 2013

OMG - What a nightmare of a stay! Nothing like the website and definitely not worth that price! I should have read reviews on this! All the bad reviews were right! We gave it our best try, but couldn't sleep all night! We snuck out right behind the other 3 guests early in the a.m. so not to have to confront this owner! He talked our ears off about obscure higher level thinking crap (friend was upset because he talked only at her! - no conversation there!) and the food was horrible - re-heated food from days ago and potato sticks from a can??? My friend was afraid because there was no security AT ALL! Our room couldn't be locked and he told us he never locked the house. No privacy is a given. Give me a break - CHEAP PLASTIC MATTRESS COVERS! and no mattress pad, so the sheets kept sliding off every time you turned over. AND NO HEAT! He did give us a electric space heater finally, but made so much noise had to turn it off. We weren't hanging around for a massage - don't think they are State certified for that and not taking any chances! The yard was a mess in the back and much was in need of major repairs and cleaning. The side porch was full of junk. NO SIGN IN FRONT! They made us take our shoes off at the door. We could have stayed at a 5 star luxury hotel for the price.

Room Tip: Go someplace else!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank nrstrong
We prepare our food fresh from whole food ingredients. We do serve chips for our guests. We sadly are not able to make our potato sticks from scratch so they do come from a can. There are no external locks on our rooms but they can be locked from within .This is stated on our website and in an e-mail all guest receive when they make their reservation. My guess is that the guest did not read the “User Guide”. Our 114 year old historic home is in a rural area and quite safe. Every room has a space heater and if a guest is cold every room has extra heavy blankets. We do not have a sign in front of our business because the people we want to find us know where we are. We are a licensed and certified business and are proud members of the local chamber of commerce. We constantly ask our guest if they need anything. This guest never expressed dissatisfaction when asked. We did not “We did ask them

“To Take off Their Shoes at the Door” We have 150 year old fine Persian carpets throughout the house. This does not seem to me to be a an unreasonable request
Fairport, New York
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Oh I wished that I had gone to Tripadvisor before I booked this site. I had recently gone through exploratory surgery with negative results. Wanted to take my wife on a potential last trip before
next set of medical treatments. Just a short get away. This place was everything your other negative reviewers stated. No Air conditioning on a 90 plus day. I am coming off surgery, and this Inn Keeper is saying I will be fine in a 90 plus degree room on the second floor. I would have never booked this place knowing it did not have AC. Nor would I have ever booked this place If I had seen its general condition. I do hope someone who has NOT YET booked this place reads this and doesn't have to have my experience. I would not wish this place on my worst enemy. No one should be allowed to do to people what this Inn Keeper is doing to the unsuspecting public. My recommendation is run don't walk away.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SteveCalos
LewisHarrison, Owner at Catskill Bed & Breakfast Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
This is an unfair review. What this guest left out in their review was
1. They booked through Hotel.com and the information on Hotels.com site did not mention air conditioning though our website says we do not have AC. We supplied them with 4 fans but they said this did not work.
2.. These guests never even stayed with us. They switched with their friends who did stay here and seemed happy. In the evening the temperature was in the low 70s and we do not have AC because this is a cool mountain location.
3. We gave them a refund for the second night though we did not have to do so.

We were kind gracious, generous and sympathetic to the fact that this gentleman had just had surgery. We offered them fans, ice water, and a switch with their friends amd a refund. I'm not sure what else we could have done or why they chose not to mention these facts in their review.

Been to Catskill Bed & Breakfast Spa? Share your experiences!