“Better off staying in Kingston”

Jenny's Country Manor Lodge
Albany, New York
“Better off staying in Kingston”
Reviewed 22 October 2012

The staff are nice. The rooms are dated, musty and there is no sound-proofing so you can hear the person in the next room breathing. I would not recommend Jenny's but would take the extra time to travel from Kingston.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Baboo_12

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We made a reservation at the Country Manor Lodge only an hour or so before our arrival. When we arrived we found out that the B&B did not offer breakfast on weekdays, so the inn is more of a "B" than a "B&B" on weekdays. The room was large, clean and with reasonable amentities. The furnishings were a bit dated but adequate. Hot water appeared for the shower a little later than expected, but the water became both hot and plentiful. Overall, an OK stay. The surprise for us was that there was no breakfast available at the lodge.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard D
Brookfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I always appreciate a very clean and reasonably priced motel. Jenny's is in a good location if you want to do a morning jog - just a 5-10 minute jog from beautiful Wilcox Park. I felt safe there as a woman traveling alone. Only negative was you have to let the water run a long time to get hot shower. It was a short trip to Omega Institute and I'm really glad I had a warm and dry motel to stay at overnight. If you are there to visit Omega, be sure to get a local map from Omega Institute - the trip back in the dark has some tricky turns and the sign for getting on to the Taconic Parkway headed north toward Jenny's is deceptive - be sure to go over the bridge before you turn on to the parkway.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Wendy N
Old Bethpage, New York
Reviewed 4 June 2012

A friend of ours was having his wedding nearby and we found our options for lodging extremely limited as we decided to book last minute. Our options were either staying 30 minutes or more away in closest "large" town of Rhinebeck or deciding between a handful of other lodging options that consisted of 80% B&Bs which we wanted to avoid with the remaining options to include small motel/inn type establishments like this one.

Frankly as we were only staying one day - our main concerns were: Price and Location (proximity to the event) and in that order. In terms of quality - our expectations were low wherever we ultimately decided to stay.

Jenny's was less than ten minutes for the events for the day and also had the lowest rate we could find. We came in expecting very little but came out quite pleased. A couple other friends decided last minute to stay for the evening festivities so decided to tag along with us to Jenny's and book a room. All of us could attest to the fact that check in was super quick and efficient. The rooms were extremely clean and pleasant. You aren't going to get W Hotel decor and furnishing but for the type of lodging and our expectations - everything was in good shape, clean and comfortable. The carpets seemed on the newer side, the bed was very comfortable, the blankets and towels were incredibly soft - first time I ever experienced that soft of softness in linens and is taking into account five star accommodations ten times the price! Not sure if its because they were newer or because they actually use fabric softener in their wash?

In any case we all took pleasant naps, had great night sleeps and were very happy with our accommodations for the weekend. The only negatives we could say is that the walls are extremely thin which is to be expected in these older type establishments and where we stayed, it took more than ten minutes initially to get hot water (there is a sign that specifically states that it takes hot water 3-4 minutes to come out due to location of the rooms) so although a notice was posted, it was quite a bit longer than the estimated time. We couldn't comment on breakfast which is offered for free on weekends because it is only served for an hour window 8-9 the day we departed. Wasn't a huge deal for us but we did feel that was an awfully short window for breakfast to be served.

For no frills, clean and comfortable accommodations, we couldn't recommend this place any higher and we are extremely picky about where we stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in a block of rooms next to each other on the second floor and they were all quite spaciou...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Clifton Heights, PA
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Jenny's Country Manor Lodge had everything I needed at a low price. My room had an easily adjustable heater, a large window, in-room coffee, a blow dryer, and a large comfortable bed. Moreover, it was clean--something one can not always count on in a budget motel. Although the lodge looked older on the outside, the inside of my room was attractive and seemed fairly new. The motel is basic, but there were a couple of extras that I don't think you would get at a chain--disposable dishes, napkins, etc. in case you had your own food--although no refrigerator in this particular room. And bedside, was a dish with assorted candies.

The motel has a BBQ restaurant on site. Service for both lodge and restaurant was very pleasant. And the location of the lodge is excellent for exploring the surrounding area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Downtheroad24
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Shelly, at http://hotels.com reservations, never told me about Jenny's Country Manor Lodge's no - refund cancellation policy for any rooms booked after 7:00 pm on August 5th, 2011. On 8/24/2011 she made my reservations for Friday & Saturday, August 26th & 27th, so I should have been warned about it then. Instead, I only found out when I called http://hotels.com later that day when I had to cancel my travel plans due to hurricane Irene.

Hurricane Irene hit the East Coast that weekend, causing a lot of damage and power outages. I was unable to travel from Virginia to Jenny's in NY. Even though they were given three days notice, Donna (who works at Jenny's) refused to return the money that they charged to my credit card. Donna did not even offer an exchange for another time when I could visit in the aftermath of the storm.

Because there was no mention of their no - refund policy at the time of purchase and because Donna refused to provide a solution to the problem this policy created, I feel ripped off. Therefore, I want to advise all travelers not to stay at Jenny's if there is any chance that their trip will get canceled because they'll get ripped off also.

Don't let this happen to you! I will stay with Choice Hotels and Hilton Properties from now on because they know how to treat long term customers and will accept cancellations when plans have to change.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EastCoastCruisers
donnajean1, Owner at Jenny's Country Manor Lodge, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
Just to respond to this review...I was never spoken to by the customer about cancelling their reservation. I spoke to the customer shortly after the reservation was made online. He informed me that he was really looking forward to his visit to our area for the weekend of August 26 & 27. We actually had a very nice conversation. He never asked me about any cancellation policy when we spoke. He is blaming me for something that the online reservation person should have told him or he should have asked. He never called me (Donna) again about a cancellation or any refund. Shortly after our original conversation on the 24th, I received a call from Expedia.com asking about a cancellation due to weather conditions. Hurricane Irene never reached our area until the night of the 27th. If I had received a phone call from the customer with concerns about the hurricane, there would have been a mutual agreement made between the two of us.
I am not an unreasonable person and I want to please my customers as best as I can. I am sorry for this misunderstanding, but this can happen when there is a third party involved. This was a big misunderstanding

Travellers are raving about these Stanfordville hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanfordville
Hampton Inn Kingston
Church des Artistes Guest House
Super 8 Kingston
Super 8 Kingston
#6 of 10 in Kingston

Been to Jenny's Country Manor Lodge? Share your experiences!