“Savory and Spanish in Staten Island”
Review of Beso

Beso
Ranked #7 of 894 Restaurants in Staten Island
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We had been here 4 months ago during a restaurant crawl with friends, as well as a few years ago with family. We returned as part of our month-long celebration of my bride's birthday. Not overly hungry I dove into their Seafood Avocado, sans appetizers.

It's a bed of penne in a creamy Alfredo and Avocado sauce topped with clams, mussels, squid, scallops and shrimp. The Alfredo sauce was flavorful and mixed well with randomly drizzled fresh lemon juice, though the avocado was lacking. Had it been named "Seafood Penne" I would not have missed the avocado. But I have loved avocado ever since one tried to kill me, dropping from my grandmother's tree in Miradero, a suburb of Mayaguez, long long ago. If it's on the menu I expect to taste it. It was, never-the-less, delicious.

I traded one of my shrimp for a coconut shrimp provided by my bride. Life is grand when you have a trading partner whom you love. Both of us benefited. I shied away from my usual chardonnay and settled for a Santa Cristina Pinot Gris, on the waiter's recommendation. The young man nailed it. I value a waiter who knows his wine/food pairings. The choice was an extra base hit.

If possible, I would give Beso 4 1/2 stars. We will return one day. There are varied delicious tapas, purloined from my wife's plate and an extensive menu of main dishes. For dessert my bride had the coconut flan, which was sweet and could stand on its own without the coconut shavings. I opted for the "Creme brûlée" which was actually a cheese cake decorated with banana slices and caramel ribbons. Not sure why it was labeled such.

Good restaurant and, despite seemingly mislabeled items, very good food.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We found this place when we decided to stop off in Staten Island for an hour or two. It is very reserved from the outside and looks closed but inside is a little Spanish haven!

The tapas are interesting and have a twist from the traditional but really tasty.

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

As Beso implies, this small restaurant got you hooked on your lips. The best Paella this side of Spain, and the Sangria, balanced and chilled gives you the right kick. The tapas are excellent. The staff, always there to bring anything, together with a great smile. Very convenient to our tourists that comes in the ferry from the city to visit our island. I give them 10 chorizos, in s scale of 1 to 10 (10 been the best!!). The decor brings memories of an era gone by but never forgotten.

Salud!

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

This place is one of Staten Islands best restaurants. Always crowded. Make a reservation. Best time to go is Sunday night. The taste of the food is so good you will think its home cooked in Spain. Prices are very reasonable for food of this quality.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My friends and I adore this place right in our St George neighborhood. I recommend the guacamole and chips and berry sangria. Paella is yummy too. There are not many tables but it is cute and cozy with attentive staff. We usually walk from our apartment nearby but if you drive be aware that parking can be difficult. However it is SO worth the trip!!!!!