“Full of character and adventure”
Review of The Harbor House

The Harbor House
Ormskirk
“Full of character and adventure”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

The Harbor House is a beautiful and homely place to stay with fantastic views of New York. We were made very welcome by Mo who is an incredible man, and the large dining table as you go in is the place to sit around in the evening with other guests and share the adventures from across the world.
The rooms are spacious and very clean and everything you will need is here.
We will always remember our visit here and how Mo made us welcome. Our son entertained some of the guests with magic around the table and we had many cups of tea while listening to some interesting stories. We are very fortunate to have found this rare gem and Mo just makes it all come together. Thanks for everything.

Room Tip: we were in the Liberty room which had fantastic views of New York
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Centerville, Ohio
Reviewed 18 June 2013

The Harbor House is our home away from home when visiting the Big Apple. If you are looking for a real feel of the city, it cant be beat. Yes, it is a walk to the bus, to then a ride to the ferry, and over to Manhattan where the subway runs straight away into the Ferry terminal.

IF you are looking for a Manhattan high rise, high end hotel with all the luxury, DO NOT bother to read further. The Harbor House is not that place, and does not pretend to be.

This is a old Staten Island private residence converted to a bed and breakfast. There are rooms both with private bath and some that share a bath (one each on floor 2 and 3). The views from the porch are BREATHTAKING and where we spend the majority of our time when not discovering more of the city.

The price cannot be beat, the manager is more than willing to accommodate guests, just ASK HIM! While he is not there to prepare a full course breakfast, there is always fruit, cereals, and breads for a quick bite before leaving. Further there is a microwave and dishes/utensils that can be used at any time. Bring a cooler if you want to keep beverages cold, or just stop at the corner deli on the way home from a day or evening away.

We always stay here; my husband is from this very neighborhood on Staten Island. The location brought us here originally but the ambience brings us back each time.

OH and for some trivia, while it is hard to tell, the apartment in "how to lose a guy in 10 days" is the downstairs 1st floor apartment (available to book), and the scene where the truck drives thru a pot hole and splashes the 2 main characters in the movie was filmed right in front of the house. if you watch the movie and view this scene, you will see the incredible views that posted photos cannot capture.

Thanks Mo, and The Harbor House for another perfect week in our home away from home!!!!!

Room Tip: The 1st floor apartment is the best, but books quickly. call as much in advance as possible. our per...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Travel_Junkie_1064
New York, New York
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We live in NYC and were going to a wedding reception at the Alice Austen house across the street during Memorial Day weekend. Originally, we planned to drive home after the reception. At the last minute, someone suggested we spend the night in Staten Island. But where? The Harbor House showed up across the street on Google Maps, and they had two rooms available. Although reviews were somewhat mixed, things seemed to be steadily improving since Moe started managing the property, so we booked one room, and friends of ours booked the other.

What was originally to be just an afternoon in Staten Island turned into a thoroughly delightful mini vacation. Moe was a gracious and friendly host. He has embarked on the big project of thoroughly renovating The Harbor House inside and out, and he has made significant first steps, although there is still a lot of work to do. Flooring on the stairs and in the hallways has been redone, and he is in the process of redoing the stone facade of the house. All of the unrenovated areas we saw, although clearly needing work (such as worn or outdated carpeting and scuffed or chipped paint), were clean and neat, including our room (the Verrazano Suite). The bathroom of the Verrazano Suite is not yet fully renovated, but it has a new toilet and sink.

In the morning, before we left, Moe showed us with pride the room he has finished renovating (The Hudson, on the 3rd floor), and it was beautiful. Its bathroom has all new fixtures and tile work. The room was completely stripped and floor refinished, walls and ceiling repaired and painted, furnishings and linens freshened, and tastefully decorated. It's really a charming room, and although smaller than the one we stayed in, I found myself almost wishing we had spent the night in it.

I was also pleasantly surprised by breakfast. It was served from 7-9am, and when we got downstairs, there was a large Continental-style spread, with croissants, bagels, cereals, etc., and coffee, milk and orange juice. Then, Moe offered to make eggs as well, and served us scrambled eggs with turkey breakfast sausage. It wasn't fancy, but it exceeded my expectations.

At breakfast, we met a traveller from Michigan, who told us she has stayed several times at The Harbor House when she visits NYC. She finds it convenient to get to Manhattan via the Staten Island Ferry, and enjoys coming back to the quiet surroundings of the B&B with its gorgeous views after days spent in the City. And we now think we'd like to come back for a weekend visit to Staten Island! We wandered around a bit and saw some of the St. George area, and went to the Snug Harbor Cultural Center and enjoyed walking around the grounds. Staten Island has a few hidden gems that are all too easy to overlook but should definitely be given their due.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laura_in_NYC
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I stayed there from November till December 2012 while inspecting homes damanged by Hurricane Sandy. The views from the front of this gem of a hotel are the best in New York. You walk out on the front porch and see the harbor as well as the bridge and the skyline of Manhatten. BREATH TAKEN VIEWS. At night you can walk across the street and sit at the benches along the harbor and just enjoy the view of New York. The skyline light up at night. WOW WOW WOW.

Mo is the best. A great guy that takes pride in his job. He also makes a great breakfast. He is funny and witty and makes his guest feel at home. Those of us that stayed at the harbor house working the Huricane Sandy disaster owe mo alot of thanks. We were new to new york and had no idea where to go and he helped us alot. The prices for the rooms are the best in New York. I plan on going back in the summer and Christmas of 2013 to take my daughter to see New York. I will defiently be stay at the Harbor House everytime I go to New York. I cannot imagine staying anywhere else.

Also a great burger place up ther street. Paul and his wife make the best burgers I have ever eaten. Being from Texas I have eaten lots of burgers but hell i have to admit, Paul and his wife make the best burgers. And they also make the old fashioned cokes and malts. Mo will tell you where they are located, they are just a block away from the Harbor House.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a room with a view of the harbor.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank johnm55857
Turnersville, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I was open minded when reserving a room at Harbor House. It is quite old and is evidently slowly being renovated. The owner was gracious and offered many good suggestions for dinner. When I asked about breakfast he said it was served between 6 and 7 in the morning and that it was continental. I guess I should have spoken up about the time...but I didn't. We woke at 7 and went down at 7:15. I would never call it continental breakfast...it was a box of cereal and some bread to put in the toaster. So we ended up not eating breakfast. It appears as if it is currently being used by people who go to work...therefore the early time. However, owner pointed out to me he was renovating and hoped to get it to where more people come. I would recommend he cater a little more to those individuals who are there as tourists when they are there. Who wants to get up at 6:00 a.m. when away. But the room was nice, view was great, location was nice.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jpooch13
NY_Harbor_House, Manager at The Harbor House, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
It is obvious that this review is incoreect to state that there was NO BREAKFAST. She stated that there was bread and cereal. We also have coffee, tea, hot choclate, milk, orange juice, oatmeal, yogurt, croissants, and pastries which are staples for everyday. This headline is mis-leading and to state that it is used for workers is discriminatory as my business is open to the public and is not selective in who stays here. We treat everyone as equal. Additionally, if you look at previous comments from our guests that stayed here, they mentioned the variety of items that we carry for breakfast NOT JUST A BOX OF CEREAL AND BREAD.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I stayed at the harbor house for the time I was on Staten Island for work with Hurricane Sandy. It truly was my home away from home. Mo was AMAZING and we had the greatest time every night at the dinner table.

It was really such a gem. The view from some of the rooms are gorgeous, and don't fret. If you decide to go with one without a view, all you have to do is have your morning coffee on the porch and you will get to see it anyway. Verrazzano bridge, Manhattan, The Statue of Liberty. All a camera click away! Really incredible and the best part, a delicious price!!!! You can not get this kind of comfort for the price in NY anywhere!!! For Christmas vacation, my boyfriend got to stay here with me and he agrees, the best decision to stay here! It was truly a great experience!

Room Tip: If you can, spend the extra cash for a room with a view. Not only do they have private bathrooms (al...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Shay d
New York
Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay here when I traveled to NYC! The price was more than reasonable for what you get. I looked at other places in the area and they were much more expensive without the gorgeous views! The area was really safe and quiet - something I was pleasantly surprised about staying in NYC! I was amazed at the wonderful service, warmth, and helpfulness of the staff. I felt at home. I would DEFINTELY stay here again!!

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family