Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Mary P
Chicago, Illinois
Best of the best in hospitality and taste
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 9 Nov 2017via mobile
I found this place by accident looking for a place to stay while taking care of my Ill brother as I needed a reprieve from the storm. This B and B not only felt safe and comfortable. The wonderful hospitality of Paul and the display of his beautiful art work added a exquisite cultural touch. I slept so well in the quality bed provided and enjoyed the great taste in furniture as well as the food of the continental breakfast.
I’ll definitely be using Fort Place as a habitat for future visits not only for myself but for the whole family.
Well worth the price.
    Fully refundable
    No prepayment needed
    8.6 miles from Fort Place Bed & Breakfast
    View more hotels in Staten Island
    See what travellers are saying:
    Selected filters
    Reviewed 7 October 2017

Very unprofessional service. They said it was a mistake in the dates but I sent them several emails 2 weeks in advance. Suddenly they decided to cancel my reservation.
    I needed to stay there for the 1/2 marathon, very disappointed.

Date of stay: October 2017
    Trip type: Travelled with family
    Reviewed 13 August 2017

I stayed for 2 nights on the 3rd floor with 2 grandchildren (girl 12 and boy 14). We each had our own room - there are 2 larger rooms (1 with a TV) and a smaller room with a single bed, The smaller room had a mini0fridge - great to keep water and soda cold as well as a samll table (2 chairs) and toaster. bathroom was off one of the bedrooms. Kids loved having there own bedrooms rather than being cramped in a 1 room/e bed hotel room like most hotels/motels have. Air condtioner in 2 of the rooms and wi fi was fine. We met Paul at 8:3o-AM to get key to outside door and our rooms and headed to Ferry - nice relaxing ride.
    Paul was very accomondating and never heard him bring up the food and put on table in our 3rd floor hallway between 7 and 7:30. One AM we asked if we could get it at 6:30. Breakfast included small bagels/rolls with butter and jelly, japple juice cartons for children and coffee for myself. Plus nbanas and apples one day and apples, oragnges the other.
    Short walk to ferry and no issues with people in neigbprhood though we can back both nights about 7:30 or 8 as there were otehrs walking from the ferry. one night there were some people talking outside a store but no big deal - you can always walk on otehrside of street.
    There is a nice small delicatessin/market across from B&B and can get sandwiches/snacks/ice cream/coffee/soda etc. Open from 6AM to 10AM.
    Fopunmd a parking space across the street just up from the B&B and left ti there for the 2 days
    So I have absolutely no compalints and no issues withthe B&B or management. I would stay there again and highly recommend this B&B especiall if you have small family and can get the 3rd floor. price is so much cheaper than staying in the hotels Manhattn,Brooklyn or Queens.

Room tip: Really liked 3rd floor
    Date of stay: August 2017
    • Trip type: Travelled with family
    1  Thank Visitor7
    Reviewed 8 August 2017

Although the location and house was adequate, the management created an atmosphere of abuse, intimidation and indifference to our needs. My wife and I were traveling separately from the US and Canada and had travel problems. Paul, the owner, said they were not of his concern and threatened to charge us extra because I dared to call him 3 times (no later than 9PM on a Friday night) to inform him of changes. I never felt a need to leave a B&B by sneaking out so as not to come into contact with the owner. The house was very nice and spacious for our needs. However, the bathroom lacked privacy curtains to shield us from the outside street, where many people walked. I felt the blurb on the site was very misleading. A view of the city implied NY, not a working class neighborhood that could have been anywhere in the US. The breakfast was continental, not at all advertised as such. To us, a breakfast at a B&B implied sitting down with other guests sharing a ‘typical’ choice of breakfast foods. I would recommend this place only if the management was different.

Date of stay: July 2017
    • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 31 July 2017

We stayed at Fort Place B&B in late July for three nights. We're a family of four looking for a less expensive option to Manhattan while having easy access to the city. We stayed on the third floor which two small bedrooms and one bath.

Location: It's about two blocks from the free Staten Island Ferry which gives you access to Manhattan which is why we stayed here. We were looking for a place to stay while sightseeing in Manhattan all day. Great. The only issue is the neighborhood is not the best. It's one thing to be in Manhattan with a zillion people and the usual criminal element there as well. It's quite another to be walking back to the B&B from the ferry on Staten Island and encountering such people on the street at dark with your wife and two kids in tow. It did not feel safe to walk around the area after dark. Also, the house next door appears to be public housing.

Hospitality: While I can't blame the owner (Paul) for the neighborhood I do blame him for the hospitality (or lack thereof). Breakfast was basically continental. 3-4 bananas and bread with watered down coffee. No soap in the bathroom. The real problem here was the last day we were there.

NYC was going through a heatwave and it was in the mid-90s the last day we were there. We had left our window units on in the bedrooms to keep it cool and locked the doors in the morning. We arrived back at the B&B just after dark and the owner (Paul) had unlocked the doors and turned off the window units in both bedrooms sometime earlier in the day. He did not make the beds just crept in to turn off the units I suppose to save electricity. Anyway we were looking forward to a cool room and sleep and it was 85-90 degrees in the rooms when we got back. It took several hours for the room to cool off. It was not pleasant. Needless to say, for $145 per night we expected more including privacy and comfort...............neither of which were provided.

Accomodations: It is an old building 150 years old (or more). I knew this going in so no problem there. There was a distinct urine odor in the larger bedroom on the third floor. Also, the wifi did not work. However, we could live with all of it if Paul had been a better host.

Conclusion: Better bet is to bite the bullet and stay in Manhattan. We could have paid a little more and stayed close to Wall Street for $175 per night. If I had paid $80 per night at Fort Place I wouldn't be complaining............$145 I have modest expectations that were not close to being met.

We would never stay here again.

Date of stay: July 2017
    • Trip type: Travelled with family
    2  Thank Katycouple
    Reviewed 17 May 2017

I called to say I was going to get in later than expected, but there was a bit of a mix up (I wasn't on their calendar for check-in). However, I was assured there was no problem. I got there and was greeted warmly. Check-in went quickly and smoothly. Staten Island made for a very nice, calm, relaxing alternative stay to being in the city. The ferry ride over was 15-20...and so nice to pass the Statue each ride. Back to the bnb...it was quiet and clean and near good food and the St. George Theater. The downside was not many toiletries (only small bars of soap) and basic breakfast (bread item, fruit, and coffee...or you could have tea). These things are bigger concerns for a bnb, BUT...given location, ease, quietness, and comfort....I got past it. I mean I was headed for GREAT eats in the city...and had my own personally specific toiletries. Truly, I'd go about a 3.5.....but feeling happy and relaxed after a wonderful week!

Date of stay: May 2017