Review Highlights
Nice nature walk

Was in town visiting family, lived in the area as a child and never had gone wish I had before now... read more

Reviewed 1 August 2018
Cherie F
Reynoldsburg, Ohio, United States
Wow! Great trails!!

This was our first time at Sterling Nature Center, but it won't be our last. We took our dog with... read more

Reviewed 29 July 2018
Kathy G
Auburn, New York

All reviews pack a lunch great blue heron lake ontario herons shore forest nest frogs wildlife rookery turtles bald benches scenic picnic hiking
Reviewed 21 September 2017

Wonderful county site for nature walks, picnics and hikes! I has asked about paddling and there is a canoe launch site just before the entrance. Here it looks like a nice Stillwater paddle on a creek but I'd suggest spring. We walked all the trails which added to several miles and enjoyed the well kept trails and sites. the Great Blue Heron rookery will be great in spring. There are other attractions nearby as well as a large state park to the west for campers nd the like. The Sterling site was great as we had it all to ourselves although the building itself was closed.

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

I grew up around the corner from this place. My dad would have us kids & dog jump in the back of the pick up truck and drive us over, many would bring a bar of soap after a long hard day on the construction site! It use to be called "Genvolts beach". They have re done it, so it has a big pk lot, beautiful hiking trails, scenic bird watching deck, pavilion and the beach extends for mikes as it always has since I was a kid. Here's some pics! (Long, long time ago...while the Renaissance faire was is in town, down the road as well, they would have an event called the "6:01 club, the faire ended at 6pm on Sunday and the actors would run down to the beach and dance around a campfire naked! Us kids were told NOT to go down then! Hahahaha. To my knowledge, they do not do that anymore.

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed 16 August 2017

Best place to watch bald eagle in NY, from nest to the sky. We went there in early August, the center is almost empty, really enjoyable. Bugs are not a problem at all, we spay deep woods OFF on ankles and neck, and Permethrin on clothes. Trails are all connected, remember to pick up a map at parking lot.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

Beautiful views peacefull ,nice trails dog friendly could of spent the whole day hope we make it back soon

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed 12 July 2017

This was my first time at this nature center. My daughter and grandkids have been before because they live near there. This place is amazing. It is off the beaten path and not many people know about it. The trail to Lake Ontario is wonderful. The path goes through the woods and out to the lake. The walk to the bluffs is very easy. We went on the trail to the heron rookery and that was the best. I could have stayed there all day. The trail is through the woods that opens up to the swamp with several nesting herons. It was amazing. There are benches to sit on and watch. Beautiful place and it is FREE!!

Date of experience: July 2017