“Tired”
Review of Three Village Inn

Three Village Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Stony Brook
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed at the Three Village Inn for a single evening this past weekend. We were supposed to stay two nights, but found the accommodations to be poor. The reservation had been made months before for us, and despite having booked early we found ourselves in room above the Tavern. When I asked to have our room moved because our concern about the noise, we were told not to worry about that because the place should clear out by 11p. We had traveled from out of state, were tired, and the dismissive remark from the inexperienced front desk was highly annoying. Further annoying was the fact that they said they were booked and unable to accommodate our request. So we wound up staying, and further discovered that Room 4, our room, was in need of an update (see photos). The bathroom was straight out of the 50s or 60s, the shower did not drain and as I hope you can see, the views from the windows were non-existent.

Breakfast the next morning was included , so before we left we thought we would give it a try since the Mirabelle Tavern where breakfast is served is such an enjoyable place to have a dinner and a drink. Again, as with the room, the buffet breakfast was disappointingly uneven. Service was peripatetic and the food below average How is it that a a modest breakfast service runs out of plates mid-way through their morning?

This wasn't an inn in the tradition of places like the Manor on Golden Pond, Manchester Inn, the Inn at Thorn Hill, or the Jamaica Inn, all places we have stayed and enjoyed while spending time in the northeast. This place appeared to us to be a tired place in desperate need of a renovation and more mature, experienced staff capable of more empathy for those staying at the place.

We wound up staying at the Hilton Garden Inn at Stony Brook University our second night. It wasn't as convenient geographically, and wasn't the "inn" experience we had been looking for. but was really a pleasant, clean, modern hotel that helped erase our bad memories of the Three Village Inn.

Room Tip: The Mirabelle Tavern is a great place for an informal dinner. Service was great --- Adam, our waiter...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank kielts
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Kielts,

We sincerely apologize that the hotel was sold out of cottage rooms the nights you were staying at Three Village Inn and we were unable to accommodate the request received upon your arrival for a cottage room.

We offered you an opportunity to relocate you to another nearby hotel. Although you declined on the first night, we were happy to be able to assist you for the second night and a full refund was issued from our hotel for the second night.

In the future, please call us directly to request specific room accommodations and we will be happy to accommodate your request if available. We look forward to you staying with us again.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Harbor View Cottage this last Friday night. We arrived just before sunset and spent time walking around the village and the duck pond. Great little stores to explore, many great photographs to be taken - the Inn is really in a charming location. Our room had a wonderful view of the water and boats. The room itself was very nice, clean and a good size. Looked as if it just been renovated. The only negative was that there is very little sound proofing between neighboring rooms.There was a nice little path leading from the cottages to the main building. We had dinner at Mirabelles - I will review this separately. The included breakfast next morning was very good.
Unfortunately after checking out, while coming down the steps of the main entrance my wife fell and twisted her ankle badly. I went inside for a bag of ice which I was given immediately and then again for some analgesic as she was in considerable pain. I understand that they are not able to give this out. I managed to get my wife into the car and then to the ER - not a fracture, but a bad sprain. I have two suggestions after this incident. This accident occurred at a high traffic area - my wife and I have been up and down those steps countless times in the past without incident. The patio is uneven at the bottom, however, and should be leveled better. Secondly I think someone should have come outside to check on my wife and offer some assistance.
Overall we had a nice stay at the Three Village Inn, and I would recommend it as a place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Dear SM_Huntington,

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your cottage hotel room with a view of the harbor. It is also nice you had time to enjoy a walk around Avalon Park, shopping at Stony Brook Village Center, and dinner at Restaurant Mirabelle.

We are sorry to hear that after checking out your wife sprained her ankle and we apologize a staff member did not check on her.

Thank you for taking the time to review the Three Village Inn, we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 29 August 2013

we stopped by for one night on our way to the north fork of long Island. Got a cottage with a view of the water. Lovely large room with two queen beds. Lovely historic inn, and a reasonable buffet breakfast. I'd go back

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 2013JPL2013
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Dear 2013JPL2013,

We are happy to hear you enjoyed a lovely stay at the historic Three Village Inn! We are glad you also enjoyed your cottage room with a view of the harbor and the buffet breakfast.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Three Village Inn, and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Just returned from a trip out to the North Fork of Long Island, stayed one night in the main house.
Our room was cosy, huge bed & bathroom, lots of white towels & bedding.
We ate in the Tavern, great service & food.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rascall2
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear Rascall2,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent stay at Three Village Inn. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your hotel room in the historic main house as well as dinner in Mirabelle Tavern. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Stony Brook!

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We had a superior room in the cottages and it was spacious, comfortable and very quiet with a good view of the harbor. We would definitely recommend it to anyone. Also, breakfast every morning included good coffee and several choices.

Room Tip: The tavern can be noisy. Choose the cottages for quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2013

Dear ColgateTheLeopard,

We are happy to hear you had a great stay at Three Village Inn and enjoyed your cottage room as well as our hot breakfast served in the Tavern that is included with the hotel stay.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Overall this is a lovely place to stay. Historic, quaint, right on the Long Island sound and walking distance to shops and even a small beach. The food is great and the staff is nice. The cottage rooms are lovely, but that's not where I was staying. I was in the main building, room 3, in what I imagine is one of the original rooms. While the bed, linens, pillows, and towels were top notch, everything else about the room was dated and in need of updating. The bathroom, while extremely spacious, had clearly not been fully renovated since the 50s. I loved the layout of the room, and the electric fire place was a nice touch, I just wish it was up to date. For over $200 a night, the room was definitely not one I can recommend. And since the Inn has no pool or gym there are absolutely no amenities except the bar, which again, is really tough to swallow at this price.

Room Tip: Skip the main house. GO for a cottage.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JMW757677
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear JMW757677,

We are glad you enjoyed the bed, linens, pillows, and towels at Three Village Inn, as well as our location in historic Stony Brook.

We are currently in the process of renovating the bathrooms in the hotel rooms, and we are sorry yours had not been completed yet.

In walking distance from Three Village Inn there are walking/running trails at Avalon Park as well as a beach near the Stony Brook Harbor.

On your next visit to the Stony Brook area, please contact me directly at 631.751.0555 and I would be happy to assist you in reserving a cottage room that fits your style.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I don't usually write reviews, but am writing after reading about all the complaints about the beds. My daughter got married at the Three Village Inn August 2012. It was the most beautiful affair I had ever attended. Everything was perfect. Most of our guests were from out of state and had wonderful things to say about the weekend. One compliment in particular were the beds. In fact, I wrote TVI a note asking what mattresses they use because I am in the market for a new one and want theirs. It was like sleeping on a cloud. We didn't want to get up in the morning. The comforter was think and soft, too. I want to go back there for a weekend stay if just to sleep on the beds. Also, the food was great, the grounds were beautiful and the town is quaint with fun, low key things to do. Not far from the wineries.

Room Tip: Book early. Many of our guests had to stay in an other hotel because they procrastinated and the en...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Commack
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Commack,

We are happy to hear your daughter’s wedding affair weekend was beautiful! We are glad you and your guests enjoyed our comfortable beds, the quaint town, and delicious food.

Three Village Inn was honored to be a part of your daughter’s wedding, and we look forward to your next visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stony Brook
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
Hampton Inn Long Island - Brookhaven

Been to Three Village Inn? Share your experiences!