“HI Express better than most”

Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Stony Brook
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Staff was great! We needed an extra night at the last minute and were accommodated, no problem. Nice hotel, friendly, efficient staff, free breakfast, also better than most. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 November 2011

This title refers to the hotel, not the writer. This place needs a huge revamping: the sheets felt old and pilly, the heating/cooling system has been changed, but unusable thermostats were still on the wall. The closet in our room had no door, just nail holes and magnets where the door had once been. The wall treatment were pealing, light switch plates were crooked and the pull out bed shouldn't ever be slept on. The mattress was little more than covered springs, which were poking through in some places, sleeping on it, all I could feel were the tops of the springs supporting my body, even while laying on top of a blanket and a sheet.

There are two elevators, one of them works, sometimes.

There is a pool, but it was freezing.

On the plus side, this hotel is clean, with an ever-present army of maids, they're everywhere. In the halls, in the elevator, in the lobby... and they start knocking on doors at 8AM! Really?

I have stayed at many Holiday Inn Express locations, and this was one of the worst.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express a few times and have had no problems or complaints at all. The staff is very friendly when you arrive, the rooms are very clean and the breakfast is great in the morning. Our daughter recently moved near this hotel and they always give me the best rate when I call. If you need a place to stay in this location, look no further. The Holiday Inn Express is the place you will be most comfortable in.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mwalsh2
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Very helpful staff, GREAT rooms that are clean and comfortable. Great rate. Much better breakfast than the average place. Convenient mini-store in the lobby selling snacks and even beer. We drove using our car but it is only 3 miles from a Long island Railroad station. The rate was so good I would even consider using this place again if visiting Manhattan. It might be a long commute in to the city but is probably $250 cheaper than a equivalent place in NYC. We were there to visit Stony Brook Univ, not to visit NYC.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2011

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel time and time again. This is my hometown but no family members live in the area any more - so we have to sleep somewhere. And this hotel is much better than my mother's guest room ever was.

The staff is friendly. I am a Priority Club member and I feel like I get perks when I check in. One time, we were upgraded to the Jacuzzi Suite. The tub was in the room - not the bathroom and was as big as the King sized bed! So fun!

There is breakfast in a comfortable room off the lobby. Complimentary newspaper and TV's to catch up on the news. There's plenty of parking, even some nice outdoor areas to play or take pictures. But to be clear, this hotel is on the highway. I think though - that's the best part! It is so close to everything - shopping, other nearby turnpikes and roads. It takes just minutes to get anywhere from here.

All is all, simple in a great location.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2011

The hotel is ok.its middle of the hightway or it feels so. Just average.nothing special.would probably stay again because i am not sure if there are more to select from.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank t0309999
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This is the third HIE I've stayed in and it was just ok. The staff was really helpful but that can't really help the overly-warm pool,too many firm pillows (I know, I know..) the wonky a/c(with the hockey-puck deod) or the slightly mildewy aroma. I mean the room was the usual HIE nice size and I love triple sheeting but for $152 bucks a night? Was hoping for a little better.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport
Holiday Inn Express Hauppauge

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook? Share your experiences!