“Comfortable stay”

Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Stony Brook
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Entire staff did great job in meeting any requests we had. Nice and clean hotel that offers a good breakfast selection. Room was spacious and grounds are attractive. Even with a location on 347 rooms were quiet with no outside noise. I would consider this one of the better Holiday Inn Express hotels I have stayed.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 December 2012

I went to Stony Brook on a stressful note because my son, who studies at Stony Brook University, was scheduled for surgery after Thanksgiving.However,the cooperation, friendliness,and professionalism of all the staff of the Holiday Inn at stony brook definitely took away a lot of the pressure of the situation.Also, the whole set up of the room and the services offered by the hotel gave me a cosy and a home-like impression.The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance from Target,Chillies,Best Buy,and a gas station. Its's, also, within a 10-15 minutes drive from the Smithhaven Mall,Walmart, and car rental places.Overall,I can't find enough words to express my gratitude and appreciation to all the staff of the Holiday Inn Express, Stony Brook who changed my visit from a stressful experience to a relaxing one.They made my trip worthwhile.now I know that I have a place to stay for my next visits to my son. Thank you.

1  Thank GHolayel
Reviewed 17 November 2012

My husband and I landed at this hotel unexpectedly when a tree fell through our kitchen ceiling during Hurricane Sandy! Luckily, they had a room for us and took our reservation immediately. We wound up staying for close to 2 weeks and it was truly "a port in a storm". Because they have a gas driven generator we were among the few people on Long Island who had heat and electricity, warm water, television, breakfast, and even wifi. The people at the Holiday Inn Express were kind, thoughtful and always cheerful. Absolutely everyone who works there is nice to deal with.

This hotel was extremely quiet, pleasant, very clean and comfortable. Everything you touch is clean, works well, and feels "new". The beds were comfortable, the rooms were large, the breakfasts were good, and the relaxed dining room and lobby very, very welcoming. The pool and gym were clean and nice and the computers work well in the wifi room. Although it was late autumn so we didn't use them, I noticed there were outdoor facilities, also, a playground, outdoor eating area, tennis court, I think, etc.. I also appreciated the way you are allowed to "hang out" in the lobby areas, the living room-like area at the end of each hall, and the cafeteria. Even a real fireplace was lit during one entire day and night during a snow storm to add to the homeyness.....I could go on and on, but suffice to say we have nothing but high praise for the Holiday Inn Express-Stony Brook and it's entire staff. And, we thank them for making us feel so comfortable during a difficult time in our lives.

Just to add....while we were there this hotel was also home to electric power repair men from Alabama. These poor men left early in the morning, rode 2 and 3 hours to work all day, and came in late at night. This hotel gave them their own dining room and "swing" room. Everyone looked contented to be there and I never heard a bad thing from any of the men about their accommodations.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side can view the sunset, east side folks can view sunrise.
Reviewed 16 November 2012

We stayed at Holiday Inn Express 10/29/12, the night of Hurricane Sandy and had a reservation for a 2nd night. The next morning, we weren't sure if we could get home (local driving) due to downed power lines and trees so we wanted to hold our room until we knew for certain. The telephones were not working at the hotel and we wouldn't be able to call but we did not want to make a special trip back to the hotel to check out if all was okay when we arrived home. The front desk employee, Bianca Rodriguez, came to our rescue! She suggested that we take her PERSONAL cell phone number.....yes, I said personal cell......and call her when we got home so we could cancel our 2nd night's reservation. When have you ever heard of an employee going above and beyond like that. Mind you, there was a lot of "goings on" that morning at the front desk with people wanting a place to stay and with the hotel being sold out but Bianca was, at all times, professional, couteous and very much in charge! Denean Lane at the front desk also could not have been more professional and couteous during such a stressful time for everyone. And let me add that they both had smiles on their faces through it all!
Holiday Inn should be very proud to have such competent and accomodating employees.

Room Tip: Very clean and comfortable. The room we stayed in was very roomy.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Was able to snag a room after 2 nights of cold, dark house. The staff at the front desk were amazingly calm, helpful & pleasant in the face of an incredible onslaught of people needing shelter during the storm. Standing ovation to all especially Bianca & Lenore.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

I stayed at the hotel during Hurricane Sandy for 3 nights. Despite overwhelming circumstances, the staff was extraordinarily helpful, courteous and never tired of answering the same question thousands of times - "Can I stay tonight?" I cannot compliment the staff highly enough for their hospitality. Truly an outstanding job.

Reviewed 9 November 2012

Thanks to Hurricane Sandy, my husband and I had the "pleasure" of staying at the hotel for a week (10/30-11/6) while power was being restored.The entire staff was truly a pleasure to deal with from housekeeping, to the front desk to the breakfast staff to maintenance.

As we are all aware, this has been a trying time for everyone with lack of power, no heat and long gas lines. Hotel rooms were at a premium and all around nerves were frayed. The staff remained calm, courteous, kind and most of all professional, throughout the situation. Dealing with the public is not an easy thing to do; dealing with an angry, scared, frustrated public makes it a tremendous task. I listened as they answered the same questions over and over again, repeated the same information over and over again and multi-tasked as the phones were ringing off the hook and people were lined up 3 deep at the front desk.

I travel quite a bit for both work and pleasure and I have never witnessed such an amazing staff.

The hotel, itself is a standard HIE. Keeping in mind it is fairly new and in much better condition than other, older HIEs. It does boast some nice outdoor amenities such as a baseball diamond, beach volleyball, tennis, and basketball. There is also a pool and fitness center.

The rooms were clean and maintained and good sized. The breakfast was the standard for "free" breakfast and had both cold and hot options. Even with the overcrowded hotel, there was plenty of food.

The choices on Long Island are limited, particularly in this area. The HIE offers a nice clean room in a great location.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stony Brook
Three Village Inn
Three Village Inn
#3 of 3 in Stony Brook
Hampton Inn Long Island/Islandia

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook? Share your experiences!