“Excellent hotel, great wheelchair access and awesome friendly staff”

Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Stony Brook
Westmead, New South Wales, Australia
“Excellent hotel, great wheelchair access and awesome friendly staff”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Holiday Inn Stony Brook was the best hotel by far of our trip to the US. The staff were always friendly, and willing to help with anything you needed. They even got one of the hotel's shuttles to drive us to Port Jefferson when we couldn't get a wheelchair taxi. Was snowing and freezing outside, but Holiday Inn Stony Brook was always warm inside. The fire inside the front door, made it feel homely and you feel welcome. The room was amazing.. huge... big enough for me to turn my chair when I needed to.. only problem we had was the heater died during a snow blizzard, but that was no big drama, they moved us to a room across the hallway. Bathroom was easily accessible, and toilet and shower were an easy transfer from the chair, heaps of rails :) The only thing with Stony Brook and Long Island itself is the lack of transport for people in wheelchairs, as there are no wheelchair taxis on Long Island, makes it tough. However, I highly recommend Hoilday Inn Stony Brook for anyone considering staying in the area :)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrew H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Randolph, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Clean hotel that is just 5 minutes from Stony Brook University. Only had one minor issue the first night...pillows were too fat for my liking. When I mentioned this to the front desk the next day, they made sure I had a good pillow for the second night. The bed was very comfortable and the noise level was very low which allowed me a good night of sleep.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2013

** I was going to give this hotel 5 stars until one evening when I returned to my room and found an 'undesirable' object had been left there. No more has to be said on a family website, however I would urge anyone that stays here to be careful about the security of their room and its contents! I was upgraded to a suite on the top floor and the management apologised to me.
After this incident I think my rating is very fair and hopefully the hotel management do something to rectify the source of the problem I experienced **

The room I stayed in was large and well appointed, the bed was comfortable and came with a 32 inch TV, fridge and microwave oven. Overall the hotel is well kept and staff are helpful and friendly. Breakfast is resonable and above my expectations for a HI Express. The free WiFi is reliable and fast. There is a free shuttle bus available and we used it to go to and from the local train station which is useful for trips into NYC. Lots of shops and resturants nearby with a few within walking distance. Overall very good.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank N_Young47
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear N_Young47,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our room and amenities.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation on the security which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Shorewood, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Because daughter attends the university nearby, we've always stayed at this hotel. The staff is very accommodating, friendly and courteous. Breakfast always is hot, if you choose, and the hot water for tea is available at all times. We were here for hurricane Irene and was allowed to extend our stay as they made it clear we were welcome. Laundry facilities are easy.
Only problem is the "gym" area as there were no towels, no way to clean off equipment after sweaty usage, seems there could have been some spray and towels. I think it is nice though that the hotel offers usage of the pool and equipment to surrounding residents for a small fee. Just think they need to update the hygiene parts of the gym.

Room Tip: If you book online with the request of a larger room, insist on it or you might just get one with on...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I stay in a lot of Holiday Inn's for business. This hotel is very clean and the front desk staff is friendly and helpfull. The rooms are big. I've stayed here 3 times. I've stayed in the standard room, a jacuzzi room, and the one bedroom suite. All were nice. The beds here are comfortable which is hard to find in the H.I. chain. It's also close to shopping and food.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Silverthorne, Colorado
Reviewed 15 January 2013

The staff makes most properties shine, and that seems to be true here. Hotel manager personally answering many emails about my concerns prior to arrival, arranging pick ups at train stations, drop offs at airports, etc. Hotel common areas and hallways, are bright and clean. Business center works like it is supposed to. Laundry facilities, sporting areas including basketball, mini golf, pool, etc., quick and courteous transportation, free breakfast and wifi. This hotel has helped many people during the hurricane Sandy disaster and one can see why they would be chosen or want to be helpful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 January 2013

It is a pretty big property. To me, my stay was average at best, not great, not to bad. My room was on the 6th floor was across from the conference room. Usually, a room near a conference room is not bad unless they have meetings at night, birthday/holiday parties, then it sucks because all of the good parking is taken and it is loud.

Having to do all the u-turns and stuff gets old, but that is not the hotel's fault, it just way hwy 347 is. There is a new Target, Chili's, and Home Depot close by.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear James J,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I would like to offer a sincere apology for being just an average. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
Three Village Inn
Three Village Inn
#3 of 3 in Stony Brook
Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook? Share your experiences!