“UNNECESSARY CLEANUP CHARGE”

Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Stony Brook
Reviewed 5 March 2014

This place has nerve to charge for a cleanup of my son getting sick. He got sick all over the sheets so I had to leave them in the hallway as he was vomiting every 1/2 hour - I called the front desk but no one answered so I just left them outside the door. I'm sure I probably shouldn't have done that but with my son being sick and me being alone with him while my husband had to leave to go snow plow I had no choice. They charged me $30 and never told me about it nor was it on my receipt the next morning. I've left 2 messages for the manager and still no phone call back. Very disgusted with this place and how it is run.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mygirls0004
Melissa C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear mygirls004,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am truly sorry that our level of service has not exceeded your expectations of what a Holiday Inn Express should be. As a staff, we strive for excellence and to ensure that each of our guests are treated with the utmost respect, recognition and courtesy.

Since this review posting, I have been informed that our General Manager has been in contact with you. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this matter has caused you. It is our hotel policy to apply a nominal fee for any damaged or missing guestroom items.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Visiting home to attend a funeral. I booked this room because it is where other family members were staying.

It is a nice hotel. Lobby is well decorated and welcoming. Room was fairly small, but clean and well appointed. Had a hard time finding outlets near beds or chairs to plug in my laptop but that's pretty standard. There is a lamp on the desk with multiple outlets so it seems they have tried to add plugs for phones etc.. Linens were clean and smelled fresh. Bed was quite comfortable.

When I arrived I let them know the sink was broken -- and after waiting a while I ended up just fixing it myself because it wouldnt drain and I needed to use it. As I was lying on my back taking the drain apart (and getting muck on my coat), I thought to myself "why the hell are you fixing this sink.. you're the guest". Oh well. Also, I booked a king, and got 2 doubles. Not a huge deal, but 2 doubles doesnt leave any room for a sitting area (there was 1 chair tucked tightly in the corner).

Breakfast was decent. The bacon was cooked into a big brick and dry as potato chips, but the little omlettes were actually very good. I at about 4 of them... and its complimentarty so I cant really complain.

Overall, its not the Ritz, but its a nice and clean hotel with friendly service. And for $150 its just ok and the value. Great place for travellers or folks visiting their kids at Stonybrook U.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Melissa C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear FPC911,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us. I'm pleased to hear you found our accommodations comfortable and our property welcoming to you and your family. I appreciate you bringing the trouble with your guestroom sink to my attention - we do have an engineer on duty daily between the hours of 7AM-11PM and this situation should have been promptly taken care of for you. Please accept my apology for the inconvenience, and be assured that I will use your feedback to make sure this is not an issue for any future stays.

I'm glad you were able to find breakfast items to your liking during our complimentary hot deluxe breakfast buffet hours. I will be sure to pass along your comments to our Breakfast Hostess regarding the bacon that was served, and again I truly appreciate you bringing this matter to my attention. Our goal is 100% guest satisfaction and we would be nothing without our guests! I hope you choose to stay with us again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would be happy to assist you with your booking.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

This hotel was very nice. Lovely gardens outside. Room was very clean. Bed was very comfortable. Friendly staff. Appreciated the little shop to buy snacks and drinks! Overpriced of course, but still appreciated. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Melissa C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Dear Awayewgo1999,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us regarding your stay at our property. Our team takes great pride in the clean, modern accommodations we offer each of our guests. Our outdoor gazebo, playground, and picnic areas are a big hit during the spring and summer seasons - I'm glad you had a moment to enjoy them during your last visit! Our grounds also feature a variety of sports fields, and all equipment is available for guest use free of charge at the Front Desk. Thank you for your feedback about our in-house Smart Mart shop, we hope you were able to find everything you were looking for.

We look forward to being your "home away from home" for any future stays in the area. Thank you for your loyalty!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I checked in this hotel last night and I was,disappointed. First I got lost so I called the hotel to get assistance the first desk clerk I spoke to seemed annoyed and was not helpful. I hung up and called back and got someone who was much more pleasant. When I arrived to the hotel for check in the the girl was very dry and not welcoming. No big deal she gave me my card key and proceeded to the room. When I opened the door I saw a red duffle bag and a styrofoam food container. It seems like someone was sleeping. I couldn't be sure because I didn't have a good view of the bed besides I started to panic a little ( didn't want to startle someone and get attacked). The desk clerk of course gives me a new room. When I get to my room I noticed that there is not a lock or a deadbolt on the door, they have this weird little latch. I put the latch on and opened the door it allowed the door to open a few inches before jamming.That was not cool with me, after what i just experienced. So I wedged my suitcase under the doorknob.I felt very uneasy and only slept for 2 to 3 hours. The hotel is a little worn looking, they look like they tried to upgrade but its more like design on a dime. The shower was a joke water was weak and fixtures really need to be upgraded. The breakfast buffet consist of endless carbs no meat and fake eggs.I spoke with the manager she was nice but all she offered me was a jacuzzi upgrade and I see they took 19 dollars off for an inconvenience fee. A full refund would've been more appropriate. I booked for 5 days but I checked out after one night and went to the Hilton. The Hilton Garden is so much nicer the rooms are modern clean and most important they have two locks! The prices were exactly the same.

Room Tip: Go to Hilton gardens
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ifoushee
Melissa C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Ifoushee,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am disheartened to learn that your most recent stay with us failed to meet your expectations of what a Holiday Inn Express should be. Making our guests feel safe and secure while at our property is one of our highest priorities and there is no excuse for the situation you incurred, it was unacceptable and please be assured that I will take your feedback to our team to make sure that kind of situation does not happen in the future. Our guestrooms are all equipped the security latch feature you mentioned, along with dead-bolt locks, activated by turning the doorknob to lock in an upright position; though I am sorry this information was not properly made available to you during your stay.

Our owner and management team are constantly looking for new areas of our hotel to improve upon. I will be sure to utilize your comments proactively to enhance our overall guest experience in the future. I hope you will give us another try at making your stay the absolute best it can be. Please feel free to contact me directly, I would be more than happy to assist you with your next booking.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

This hotel has friendly staff, and the best hotel rooms out of any express I've ever stayed at. Make sure you book a 2 room suite. I always so and the express space is great! I stay here about once or twice a month for work.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Melissa C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Josh W.,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We appreciate your feedback and loyalty to our property. I'm so pleased to hear you enjoy our Executive Suites - they are simply stunning, and have been recently renovated! We look forward to being a home away from home for you in the future.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I travel for work nearly every week and I have to say this is one of the best hotels I've stayed at. The staff is fantastic and friendly. The hotel itself is well thought out, from the built in cell phone chargers to the beautiful entry way and bar area. The owner frequents the hotel and puts a lot of effort into making this hotel the best it an be.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel and will stay here again.

Also, it is very near to many restaurants and shopping areas.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Melissa C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Colyn S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel! As a frequent business traveler, I can imagine you have visited quite a few hotels - to say that ours is one of the best is such a wonderful compliment! Our staff truly appreciates and values your feedback. The property is meticulously maintained and is constantly being upgraded. We do all that we can to make sure that each guest's stay goes above and beyond their expectations. Thank you for your loyalty, we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have stayed at this property numerous times. Each time I stay I have a great stay. From the moment you walk in the door you are greeted with a smile and immediately feel welcome. The hotel management is constantly updating the property. It is one of the most updated and up-scale Holiday Inn Express properties I have ever stayed at. The breakfast is delicious each morning. They offer great services for the guests including a business center where I am able to print boarding passes, an indoor heated pool which is never too busy, and a shuttle to and from Islip airport and other locations just to name a few. I have recommended this property to many people and will continue to do so. This is the only place I think to stay when I am headed to the stony brook area.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Melissa C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Bentley1688,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property! Our entire team at the Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook truly appreciates your loyalty and your recommendations to colleagues and friends! Our staff goes above and beyond to make each guest's stay memorable. The Owner and Management Staff at our property are constantly updating our facility - you'd never know we were the first Holiday Inn Express property ever built! I appreciate your kind words and look forward to seeing you in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stony Brook
Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport
Three Village Inn
Three Village Inn
#3 of 3 in Stony Brook

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook? Share your experiences!