“I have stayed here numerous times.”

Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Stony Brook
Reviewed 3 December 2010

Sometimes my review might be lower but overall, I think the price is competitive and the location to SB hospital can't be beat. I will be there next weekend again. I don't eat that fatty breakfast stuff, but I do appreciate the all night coffee and bagels with fresh fruit in the morning. I have definitely enjoyed the business center and the pool on my stays. See you guys next weekend!

• Stayed: January 2010

Reviewed 28 November 2010

The hotel is in a fantastic location. Close to where I was working, plenty of restaurants, and shopping.

I was thoroughly disappointed with the hotel though. It was very dingy, the carpets looked old, and the rooms just seemed dirty. While some of the staff was very nice, several of the employees at the front desk were rude to me and my colleagues.

The hotel did not live up to the standards that I have for HIE and I doubt I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Stonybrook for one night on August 5, 2010. We were visiting friends in Port Jefferson and there aren't many hotels in the area. It was your typical chain hotel located on a highway. There was a strange kind of chemical like smell in the hallways that probably came from the indoor pool. Also the carpet in the hallways looked worn and need replacing. One really nice thing was the player piano located in the lobby. The lobby was fairly decent and there are some baseball and sports fields located in the back of the hotel.
My brothers bed had a problem like the frame was bent or broken but wasn't worth moving by the time we got settled in the room since we were only staying for one night. There are some grocery stores and shopping centers nearby but nothing is walkable on foot. I will say the back parking lot is a little spooky so we parked near the front entrance. It was disappointing Holiday Inn Express for the price....it cost us 155 dollars with tax. I'm not a fan of any of these chain hotel breakfasts and this one was exactly the same. Strange eggs, lousy sausage, and way to sweet breakfast rolls. There was a great Deli up the highway that had awesome bagels/breakfast.

Pro's:
Cool Piano in Lobby
Location

Con's:
Strange smell in Hall
Worn out carpet
Bad bed and linens
No stores within walking distance
Slow Internet

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2010

I am not sure why this hotel has such low reviews but my fiance and I had such a nice time there a few weeks ago that we decided to spend this past weekend there as well.

It has a great location, right near a strip of major stores, and about a 5 minute drive from Smithaven Mall and Stony Brook University. They even offer a student discount which was a pleasant surprise for us. The young lady at the front desk looked rather tired when we checked in at midnight but she was still as pleasant as ever, she even offered us a complimentary late check out! The room itself the first time we stayed there was spacious and clean, the bed was extremely comfortable, with two pillow options depending on your preference. It took a tiny bit of effort to figure out how to adjust the temperature in the room but once we did it was cool and comfortable. The shower had good water pressure and was very clean, plenty of towels to go around. The customer service over all was fantastic. Everyone was really friendly and went out of their way when we asked for something (to refill a breakfast tray, more towels, a sewing kit, etc..)

Breakfast was pretty generic but still satisfying. For the health conscious they do offer yogurt, hard boiled eggs and fresh bananas. Our only complaint was that there were no trays to bring our food back up to our room. Although we did it anyway :)

Our only real complaints come from our second night's stay. The main door and bathroom door both kept jamming and popping open, and the lock didn't work on the bathroom door.

Overall however I would highly recommend staying at this hotel, and if you are a SB student speak up and take advantage of the fantastic discount they offer!

Next time we stay we will definitely take advantage of the fitness center, pool, and business/computer center.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2010

Room was so cold I was sleeping with winter jacket on and scarf. I asked them to switch me to a different room and they didn't do so until about midnight. They do have a shuttle that will pick you up from the train station and take you where you need to go which was convenient. There's also complimentary breakfast. Still overpriced.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2009

This hotel used to be fantastic but in the past 5 years its turned into more of a Econo Lodge then what the HIE standards really are. I think the hotel is just falling apart. I don't know if they had a management change but nothing is as good as it used to be. If a chair breaks in the Great room they will not replace it, when i was there they had basically one chair to a big table there was no where to sit. The breakfast stinks. I wish they would build a Hampton inn right next to them. That would make them improve. The room is alright. One thing i hate is they have motion censer AC units, so basically you have to get up and down all night to keep it running. They are cheap on making you feel good. Sad when I payed 125 for the night. AND note to the manager stop making your hotel look good by writing a good come back review. To fix the bad reviews FIX the place already.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Denean, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2009

I apologize for any inconveninece the guest may have experienced during their stay at the Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook. We strive to make this a pleasant memorable experience for every guest. Our hotel brand scores are consistenly over 90% every month! Owners and management take great pride in our upkeep to the property, hence our Brand Relaunch. As the General Manager for the hotel, I have been employed here for over 7 years. We look forward to welcoming you into our hotel as your home away from home.

Reviewed 17 July 2009

Good first impression but a stream of mishaps lowered out rating to two stars:
* Horrible breakfast: comparable to the airplane menu. Bring along your own yogurt & a banana.
* Horrible housekeeping service who enters your room w/out knocking or tries to enter at 8am
* Dry laundry: promised to finish in 8hrs took them 2 days: had to pick up from the front desk
* On the last day our two magnetic card keys stopped working: a minor issue, but we heard no apologies from the front desk

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Denean, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2009

The Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook does provide a complimentary hot deluxe breakfast. Breakfast items include: scrambled eggs, sausage, hot cinnamon rolls, waffles, French toast, assorted bagels, Danishes and pastries, fresh fruit, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, hot and cold cereal, coffee, tea, milk and juices. We have a friendly professional staff at the hotel that strives to make every guests stay enjoyable. I apologize for housekeeping knocking on the guest room door at 8am. Without a do not desturb sign on the door - housekeeping does start to clean rooms. We do have a guest laundry facility on site. Outside dry cleaning services are also available. We do hope you consider staying at the Holiday inn Express Stony brook when planning a visit to the area!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stony Brook
Three Village Inn
Three Village Inn
#3 of 3 in Stony Brook
Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook? Share your experiences!