“Local Treasure”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I've seen some old and odd reviews here which don't reflect our experiences at all or of the many customers that eat at this restaurant... We have been visiting this restaurant usually weekly on Friday nights for a couple of years. When its warm out there is additional seating outside on the deck which gives you a choice of seating where it might be a little less hustle and bustle.. From the first time we went there we were greeted enthusiastically by the owner and their staff and by the next time we went there we didn't need to tell them what we wanted as a cocktail.. Everything I've ever eaten there has been more than acceptable, always made to order and obviously home made mexican food... The prices are more than reasonable and we are always asked if we want a complimentary after dinner drink... I'm sure that at times its busy and maybe there's a wait.. but if thats the case I'm happy at this restaurants success... One other thing, there is always unlimited salsa and chips on your table and the staff is always smiling, helpful and appreciative of your patronage.. My wife and I are going there this evening and expect our experience will be perfect... My opinion is, if you had a bad experience , give it another shot and talk to the owner... I'm sure he would want to hear about your experience make it up to you... As you very well know restaurants don't survive with bad food and bad service.. This one is not one of those...

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stopped in Sugar Loaf on our way to a corn maze, and found the wait at most of their restaurants to be more than we were willing to endure. The wait in the Cancun Inn for sitting was close to nothing, and now we know why.

We asked to be seated outside, but were told there were no tables (as it turns out there were empty tables, but not enough staff to clean them), and once we were seated, we waited around 15-20 minutes for anyone to take our order. There is no lunch menu, so generally it is overpriced if you just want a basic small lunch. The food was supposed to come with salads, which were never brought to us (our meals came first, so we just decided to not remind them). The food itself was really bad - we got fajitas and the vegetables tasted like they had been doused in sugar and butter (to the point where you could not eat them). I was really disappointed, and would go so far as to say my boyfriend and I felt nauseous for a couple of hours after eating here. (I'm not suggesting the food wasn't fresh - it just tasted that bad and rich, we felt gross for having eaten it).

6  Thank boxofrain80
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I stopped in there today with my wife and granddaughter. We ordered drinks and when they finally came, they got it wrong. When my wife told them the Lady's Room toilet was backed up, they looked at her like she had two heads. She had to use the Men's Room. When they came to take our order after about 15 mins. after bringing our drinks it took another 25 mins. before they were brought it out. When they did, they didn't have my granddaughter's with them. She is six, chicken fingers and fries). It took another five to ten minutes before they brought it out. We asked for salt and they never brought it. Had to go get it ourselves. The food was good but like my title says.

2  Thank Charles Z
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We were looking for a decent Mexican restaurant to try near our small town, and came across the positive reviews for this one in Sugar Loaf, NY. Knowing the 'rural' area, we didnt expect it to be busy, & did not even think to make a reservation.
When we arrived Saturday night, we could not even find a place to park-it was so busy! We went in & the hostess asked if we had reservations, and looked grim when we said no. However, rather than turn us away, or give us a crazy wait time, without hesitation she went out of her way to find a place to seat us within 10 minutes!
The server was very upbeat, personable, and took pride in the restaurant and what it offered. He went out of his way to take his time, make recommendations, and make us feel welcome.
We really loved the salsa, and fluffy fresh guacamole. I had read an old review that the food was 'bland' but I have no idea what that writer ate, because the Mexican Crabcake, and Salsa surely had a good kick to it!! The margarita was SO smooth that I thought possibly there was no tequila in it- but after 2, I did note the tequila!!! I should have asked them the smooth type they used!
All of the staff participated in clearing plates, serving, and assuring we had everything we needed in a very reasonable time. Every guest seemed happy and were enjoying their food, & the table next to us even talked and joked with us; a very friendly atmosphere! For a rural family restaurant, we were very impressed with the service and quality, & the price was very reasonable.
I am trained to observe service and quality being a luxury hotel manager in NYC for 23+ years. I have very high standards and expectations, & I have to say I was very surprised to find such a decent Mexican restaurant in this wonderful, quaint, artisan town not far from us. We will surely be back!!!

1  Thank Joan B
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Before I proposed to my lovely fiance, she took me to Cancun Inn when it was in Middletown. Wow it's top notch Mexican at its finest. Great service, great food, the ambiance is second to none, and best of all the margarita's and Sangria are to die for! Ask for Israel he's the man! He treats his customers like his relatives. Fresh Mexican in NY! A must to go! Now that it's in Sugar Loaf instead of Middletown, my fiance and I still come back and we LOVE it!! The burrito's, fajita's, and their entrees are excellent! I recommend the aroz compollo and the chimichanga's and burritos.

Been to Cancun Inn? Share your experiences!