“Great place”

Second North Deli
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Italian, Bar
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The best sandwiches and service in Syracuse. We also tried their greens and beans soup and it was A+. Highly recommended!!

Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

This is a cute spot. A nice neighborhood sandwich shop. Simple menu, honest and friendly service and a packed parking lot during lunch hour.

This restaurant touts it's London Broil sandwich as the best in town. I went a few months ago and had one and never one to not give second chances I tried it again today.

The lot was packed, line was long. It was a short stop in the line to be told that hot food (London broil sandwiches are a kitchen item) would be a while. No problem, I'm in no rush. It's a nice dining room but a bit crowded. I was just standing around and I'll be honest, I'd rather wait in line to get my order in than wait in line for my order to get made. That's just me. I won't fault the place for it. They were upfront with how the kitchen was backed up, and it honestly didn't take long for the sandwich- maybe 10 minutes.

The parade of sandwiches I saw were really nice though. I kinda wished I got a cold cut, but it was chilly and I wanted to give a second chance at Syracuses bed London Broil sandwich. I also ordered homemade chips.

Got the sandwich. Got the chips. Made my 5 minute commute to the job site while snacking on the chips. I love these chips. Some chef might tell me how wrong they do it because sometimes there's a crispy edged chip with a chewy soft center. No. That's why I love these chips. They are awesome. For under two bucks you get warm crispy chewy chips with your meal. Worth it.

Now this famous London Broil. Served on a baguette I had it with grilled onions and provolone. Looked nice and had a side of what I assume is an Au Jus. The bread is nice, but after that it goes downhill. All the filling and fixin's blur together in a bland mess. I was instantly reminded why I disliked my last London broil here- boring as hell. The meat was tender and there was a good amount was completely lifeless. If there wasn't provolone I'd guess there was no salt added. I guess I think of London broil with strong flavors. Not to be defeated, I tried dipping the sandwich. Nope, nothing. It was brown water. I am thankful it wasn't canned broth, but man it was bland. I guess if your meat has no seasoning your Au jus will have nothing either. My guess is that they braise the cuts in water, and use that water for Au jus without any reduction.

One of the least remarkable sandwiches I ever had and this is their trademark dish.

Their cold cuts looked nice, I might give them a shot, but I couldn't let two terrible sandwiches go by without my honest review of the place.

The chips are amazing. They were also seasoned.

1  Thank MJW_UNY
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Went there first time today. Pleasant staff, quick service. Place was nice, has bar area with dining area as well as a separate dining area. Husband had turkey sandwich and soup. He enjoyed both. I had tuna sandwich. We shared home made potato chips that we heard so much about. Tuna was on a fresh roll with lettuce and tomato. Tuna was not albacore. Tasted like poor quality tuna - very fishy and brown. A better sandwich would be made with albacore tuna. Also chips tasted like they were cooked in same oil with fish...I like fish and chips but don't want my chips to taste like fish. I'll go back, just won't order tuna!

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Great little place, good lunches and good happy hour too! Places like this are all about the value. You can tell the ownership takes both pride and value seriously.

Reviewed 27 October 2012

Some places cater to ladies, but really this is a place for guys. Nice, big, reasonably priced sandwiches in a simple atmosphere. If you are looking for vegetarian or small portions or anything cute, you won't really find it here.

3  Thank powertravelers