“Plain and simple, a place to sleep”

Best Western The Inn At The Fairgrounds
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

We come to Syracuse for shopping twice a year, and stay here. Its your basic, simple hotel, not the best of accomodations, but if you're only wanting basic amenities and a simple breakfast, this is perfect.

Dont expect any pampering, its definately a 2 star hotel, close to the fairgrounds and thats about it. Shopping is about 10 minutes drive away.

The staff was pleasant and kind though, and housekeeping left me alone(a big plus).

Would stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2013
Sarah P, Front Office Manager at Best Western The Inn At The Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Thank you so much for your comments and review. We appreciate all comments so we know the areas we need to work on! We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 14 June 2013

We were attending an event at the fairgrounds, and booked this inn. It is older but has been completely renovated. Despite being close to roads, it was very quiet, so well insulated. Staff was friendly and helpful. We went to a few spots for shopping and nothing was too far away or hard to get around. The room was clean and spacious, free wifi. The steakhouse on site is a hidden gem not to be missed. A hot breakfast served off the lobby is a great way to start the day.
I will come back!

Room Tip: Second floor is always better, nobody walking overhead!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pat R

Thank you so much for taking time to review our hotel! We are so happy to hear you liked all the new upgrades recently done to the hotel! We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed 4 May 2013

Stayed at this hotel with a war veterans group. Room was clean and comfortable. Restaurant was great. Hotel front desk at check in was pleasant and accommodating. However, the older woman that works at night was terrible. We came down for breakfast at 6:30 and there was no coffee. We asked if there would be more and she gave us horrible attitude and I felt like I was bothering her. She stormed into the breakfast area and grabbed the pot without saying a word, and had a sour look on her face. I loved the hotel and location, but because of that woman and how she made me feel I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Freedoall

I am so very sorry you had a bad experience at our hotel. This is not something we normally hear. Please contact me directly at the hotel so we can discuss this further. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

We have stayed at the Inn at the Fairground twice now. It is convenient to get to. Both times the rooms have been clean and well furnished. The staff is frtiendly and efficient. We have tried the breakfast and it is good.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Bill F

Thank you for your review! We love to hear good comments! We stride to provide great customer service and meet and beat guest expectations! We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 12 December 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Best Western Inn at the Fairgrounds for one night in November 2012. I’m glad one night was all it was!

We were “greeted” (if you can call it that) by a young, blond, unfriendly young woman who didn’t look us in the eye. No name tag (an increasing pet peeve at hotels). Check in took longer than I’m accustomed to, because when she asked the two housekeeping ladies whether my room had been cleaned, they began bickering amongst themselves whether it was clean or not! They concluded it was ready. HOWEVER, (and this was a little past the 3PM check-in time), they were still vacuuming it when we attempted to get in.

Our room featured two beds, nightstand, table (not a desk but a generic table, mind you) a couple of chairs, chest of drawers, a Toshiba flat screen TV, and a small refrigerator. There was a coffee maker WITH NO POT, an ironing board with two irons, because the one attached to the board DIDN’T WORK. I thought the desk lamp didn’t work, either, but actually, it was the wall outlet that was faulty. Also, there was no trace of the customary plastic laundry bag that normally is found in the closet. Had trouble with their wireless service. The customer service rep was awesome, and I did eventually get online.

It should be noted that the toilet seat was dirty. Looked like #2 smeared on it!

I tried to call the front desk TWICE from the room phone, and neither time did they pick up!

There are no vending machines in this establishment. The lady (not the blonde; an older, more apologetic woman) told me, “they took them out of here last year, and never explained why.” Sodas were available in the sundry shop at an inflated price of $2 a bottle.

Free breakfast was mostly continental, with cereals, fruit, muffins, bread, bagels, etc., with additional options of (previously frozen) egg patties and sausage patties.

Cost, with taxes, was just over $100.

Beds were comfortable. Bedding was clean, but there was dust on the dresser on which the TV rested. I wouldn’t recommend this hotel to a friend, unless they were desperate and cash-strapped.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
A Best Western traveller
Reviewed 6 December 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 13 November 2012

After reading some mixed reviews, I decided to take a chance with this hotel and I have to say, I'm happy I did. I planned a 3 day trip to Syracuse and with the help of my trusty GPS, found the place easily. It was pretty convenient since it was right off 690. Even though it was really close to the highway, there was no noise from it at all. the surroundings are a bit lackluster, I didn't book the hotel based on its boring surroundings.

The lobby was pretty bright and clean and the receptionist who checked me in was prompt and friendly. What more can you ask for? When I got up to my room, despite booking a non-smoking room, there was a bit of a smokey smell right by the door. And the smell lingered even to my last day there. Other than that, I loved the room. The design wasn't outdated like some other hotels.There was plenty of space and everything was organized. The heater/AC combo was quiet when on and whether I wanted the room cool or warm, it was quick. The room even had these dual curtains. One allowed natural light into the room and the other blocked out the light so that was pretty nice. And good news for light sleepers! It was so quiet. If I didn't see other cars there, I would think no one else occupied the other rooms. The best part: It was clean and came with more than enough pillows!

I didn't get up for the breakfast or order from Daniella's so no comment on that. Not sure if this happened to anyone else but I was moving my bags into the car when I got locked out of the room the day I was leaving. So I'm just guessing that the cards automatically get disabled the day you're checking out? Weird. The front desk was empty but someone came immediately when I rung the bell and it was quick fix. Personally, I don't need someone to be there 24/7, just someone to come help when I needed. Before I left, I found out that staff that goes around cleaning the rooms are so polite and friendly! They don't rush you to leave right away and let you take your time. Rung the bell again and the receptionist was very helpful in checking me out. She even engaged in some small talk with me.

All in all, I really like the hotel and would definitely come back to this on my next trip to Syracuse.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo