Ophelia's Garden Inn
Residence Inn
US$123
US$111
US$101
Candlewood Suites Syracuse Airport(Syracuse)(Great Value!)
US$115
  • Fitness centre
US$172
US$157
Agoda.com
All reviewsb bprivate bathlovely propertycoffee cakeother guestsfresh fruitcanopy bedegg bakeerie canalbed and breakfastown bathroombreakfast was deliciousstate fairrooms are largeguest roomswonderful stayfirst floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 October 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at Ophelia's Garden Inn. The location couldn't have been more perfect for her to go shopping and me to attend the SU football game. Our room was large, quiet, and well-appointed; the bed was very comfortable and elegantly made-up. The hosts, Annie and David, were extremely friendly and accommodating -- they even cooked me oatmeal for breakfast (which they hadn't planned on) for my heart-healthy diet -- and offered us an unexpected glass of wine upon our arrival. The grounds are lush and well-kept; they seemed even more so given the presence of parks on two sides of the Inn, which contributes to the serenity. We toured the gardens and were invited to explore the mansion, too, with its many interesting nooks and crannies. The living and dining/breakfast rooms are large and very impressive. While some of the guest rooms were smaller than ours, they all looked cozy, clean, and welcoming. We'll surely be back!

1  Thank Paul D
Reviewed 5 September 2011

As a ten year return patron of the Inn, I now feel compelled to inform the rest of the unacquainted public about this charming B & B with it's serene setting. My wife and I love the decor of the Inn. The19th century elegance found within the confines of the stately colonial surrounded by a multitude of understated antiques and oriental rugs provides a warm and homey vibe. The French bedroom is well appointed and, most importantly, the bed is not too hard or soft. We slept soundly and comfortably. The best for last: the proprietors of Ophelia's, Annie and David Blakely, are the most accommodating, bend over backwards to make your stay great, owners who know quite a bit about customer service. They tailored our breakfast to our taste and needs, offered us transportation when needed, and emitted a genuine warmth. At the risk of sounding redundant, my wife and I had a wonderful stay at Ophelia's. I only hope, I will be able to get a room next year!

Reviewed 28 August 2011

What a wonderful second stay I had at Ophelia’s Garden! A desperate Google search “lucked” me into this gem a month ago for my first visit. The large “Gone with the Wind” style mansion offers beautiful public spaces (I especially love the living room), porches and gardens. Annie and David collections which dot the walls, decorate the tables, and peek out seemingly from nowhere are interesting, eclectic, and often of museum quality, all of which add to the air of history and fascination.

Annie and David themselves are the kindest, friendliest, and warmest innkeepers I have met. These wonderful partners truly manage the B&B together; you can actually experience this perfect family harmony if you pop into the kitchen and watch them prepare breakfast. And, yes, that vintage stove actually does work. (Ophelia’s Garden is my first B&B where a kitchen visit is welcomed … kind of makes you wonder about some of the other kitchens.) When breakfast is ready you’re gently ushered into the beautiful dining room with its serene views to enjoy the best of Annie’s baking and deliciously fresh fruit, but I think if you asked you could stay in the kitchen, read the newspaper, and watch the news.

On my first visit, I asked for a quiet room, and quiet I got. I stayed in another room (sorry, forgot to find the name of it) and had one of my best night’s sleep ever. For my more recent visit, Annie had only one room available, and, boy, was I fortunate. I had the Canopy Room all to myself. This large room had a private bathroom as well as a private stairway (although I did use the big, sweeping staircase a few times just for the thrill of it. Sadly, Rhett Butler never materialized at the bottom). I felt like a princess in the large, majestic canopy bed and got yet another excellent night’s sleep – no pea under this mattress. David and Annie keep all of the rooms full of fresh air, too, and that was greatly appreciated by me.

The Inn's location, at least for me, is ideal. It is on the close-in West side of Syracuse, where there is a noticeable paucity of accommodations, and convenient to a 690 exit/entrance (think NYS Thruway), with good shopping (including a Wegmans grocery), and grassy, rolling parks on two sides – one with a zoo. I asked Annie whether she was so busy because of the State Fair, also very close, but Syracuse University was just commencing the fall semester and many of the guests were repeats, bringing their children back to school. The University is very easy to get to, so, parents, consider staying here if you don’t like the chain hotel experience. I highly recommend you ask where the Coleman’s Irish Pub is, too; Coleman’s is a beautiful and fun Syracuse fixture, but it isn’t the only good restaurant nearby. I even found a new-to-me restaurant (Kirby’s) with good seafood and steaks and real cloth tablecloths and napkins, a rarity today. Lots of fast food places are in proximity, too. You’ll get accurate and courteous directions to everything if you simply ask.

I should add that Ophelia’s Garden attracts some intriguing and otherwise pleasant guests. I have found each and every one exceptionally absorbing at the breakfast table, yet you needn’t be the all consuming conversationalist if you prefer not. If you’re really fortunate, you’ll meet Annie’s dad, Hugh. This modest gentleman is really a well-respected WWII pilot, loquacious story raconteur, and knowledgeable historian, among other attributes.

During my recent weekend stay, Hurricane Irene surged toward NY and one visiting couple’s flights back to Florida were canceled. They were really upset when they attempted to renew their rental car for a few more days. Of course, the 800 number operator told them the rates had been [outrageously] raised. Nice – gouge folks in a crisis. In any event, David calmed them and said he would take them to the local rental office where he had a well-established relationship because of his longstanding assistance for other guests. You should have seen the relief and smiles upon everyone’s return to the Inn. Such great and thoroughly unexpected service!

I was disconcerted, though, to read another guest’s comments about a broken wine glass. Upon my first visit I surmised that some of the items around Ophelia’s Garden could be family heirlooms. Annie did tell me that the sweet little sugar and creamer set on the breakfast table was her grandmother’s. What an honor to be served in such style! As guests in any home, we need to remember to be mindful and respectful of the furnishings. For example, there was a gorgeous, hand-painted plate in my room that my ceramics-collector mother would have loved to take off the wall, flip over, and see where it was made (Bavaria?), but I was not about to risk damaging, breaking, or disturbing this beautiful artifact in any way. After all, while this may be an exceptionally home-like B&B, in the end, it wasn’t my home.

My experiences at Ophelia’s Garden have been absolutely fabulous – charming and engaging innkeepers, an elegantly casual atmosphere, fascinating architecture and collections, terrific location, beautiful grounds, and, best of all, a good night’s sleep. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Read the descriptions and, during busy seasons, book as early as possible.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank karengduffy
Reviewed 14 August 2011

The friends we were traveling with had booked the rooms as they had stayed at Ophelia's previously. When we arrived we were offered a choice of 2 rooms - one with the bathroom down the hall and the second a smaller room off the kitchen with its own bath. To be fair our firends had requested a ground floor set of rooms as we were concerned about lugging bags up the typically narrow and steep stairs of vintage B&B's. However I can't imagine our room being suitable for a couple it was so small that even after storing one piece of luggage in the garage we couldn't close the bathroom door and have our remaining piece of luggage in the room. I would have thought the owner would advise strongly against this room for 2 people.
However my most serious objection is the way the proprietor handled a situation of a broken wine glass. She herself had chosen the 2 wine glasses when she found me looking for some. As luck would have it in returning the glasses from the porch I had too many items in my hand it was either a bottle of red wine or one of the glasses and of course the glass fell and broke. I left it on the butler pantry counter so she would know it had been broken and the next day I told her it was me. When checking out I was shocked when she informed me that to replace the glass would cost $50!!! In an attempt to be "hospitable" she was only going to charge me $25! I was so astounded I was speechless and she seeing my face said "Don't feel bad you are not the first person to have this happen". That statement in and of itself seemed outrageous. It seems pretty obvious if you run a B&B you don't give guests dishware that expensive ( I have never owned a $50 wineglass) let alone do it more than once. The fact that she was so insistant in chosing the glass in the first place just aggravated the situation. The $15 of leftover wine we left them in the frig was not considered in this unpleasant transaction.

Room Tip: Be sure you know the bathroom arrangement and size and setup of the rooms - one side of our double bed was up against the wall.
3  Thank NACTucson
ophelia5210, Owner at Ophelia's Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2011

Clearly this is not only about a broken wine glass , but a case of sour grapes. Apparently
this individual did not like taking any responsibility for the $89.00 heirloom fostoria glass that
she broke. When I discussed it with her at check out she did not rebut the charge of $25.00
and it is interesting that she goes home and writes such a negataive review. I have had other guests break glasses ($10.00) and have never charged for those. Her statements were not
only untruthful, but it becomes quite clear that my first impression of her was right on the money(Pardon the pun) I went out of my way to accommodate her "organic" diet, I did everything I
could to make her feel at home and no matter what I did....her negative energy and arrogant
attitude came through loud and clear. By the way, I had a very spacious queen sized room
available on the second floor for $10.00 more. The guests had chosen the rooms. Why would
their friends bring them somewhere that they have stayed repeatedly if they didn't like it.??
I wish there was a website for Innkeepers to write about "guests you do not want".
Also, look at my website and you will see a very wide, stately staircase...no concern about
luggage or whatever. Another attempt to lash out at me when obviously there are other
"issues" with this person. A very unhappy individual...but I will not take this personally as it
would be my guess that this is common practice for her.

Reviewed 16 June 2011

We drive to Syracuse yearly to visit relatives. This last time we decided to make it more of a vacation so we chose Ophelia's for its location near I-690, pleasant looking rooms on the website, reasonable price and lovely grounds. We were not disappointed! Our room..the French Room...was spacious, comfy with plenty of closet and drawer space and the bathroom still had the original tub, sink and toilet from the 1920's. The house itself is chockful of interesting antique furniture, collectibles, art and beautiful rugs. We spent quite a bit of time just looking at everything both inside and outside the home. We saw deer and groundhogs every day. Breakfast was great.....juice, coffee, fruit, eggs, toast, etc. The best thing about Ophelia's is Annie Ophelia and David. They are friendly and gracious hosts. Within a short time we felt relaxed and at home which made the stay there the highlight of the trip.

Room Tip: Check the website for pictures
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple