“Nice Japanese hideaway”

Koto Japanese Steakhouse
Ranked #113 of 683 Restaurants in Syracuse
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Sushi
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Syracuse, New York
“Nice Japanese hideaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Koto is one of our "go-to" restaurant in the new Destiny. So often the new batch of restaurants are insanely busy, and loud. Koto, even when busy, tends to feel more relaxed and calming. We have visited this location at least three times for dinner, and have had a great experience each time. We have not done the Teppanyaki (HibachI) style dining, instead getting a table just for us and ordering off the menu.

The menu provides a nice variety of sushi, and Japanese style dishes. They are always well-prepared, well-presented and tasty. Service has consistently been very responsive. I like their signature cocktails, as well.

Definitely to be recommended.

• Visited October 2013

New York City, New York
“more saki more happy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

the chef was spirited, humorous and highly talented. the hibachi could not have been better, with great foods prepared to perfection, and yummy sauces for dipping.

Visited February 2014
Syracuse, NY
“Meh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I like Koto on the boulevard so this was a disappointment in ambiance, service, and quality of sushi. The "to-go" window may be a plus at the mall, but the sit-down needs to get up and go.

Visited December 2013
DeWitt, New York
“Very good food, but housekeeping needs improvement”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Our meals were excellent, prepared with some showmanship at the hibachi grill by a Japanese chef. The salads were tasty, the meat was very good quality and cooked perfectly, and the vegetables were flavorful.

They offer a regular menu in addition to the hibachi cooked meals, so if you prefer a more private meal (hibachi seating might put you at a table with strangers), that option is available.

This is a good place to bring the whole family, as the kids will find the cooking show as interesting as the adults.

I might consider an excellent rating for this restaurant (I gave the one on Erie Blvd. in Syracuse an excellent rating) but a few housekeeping flaws resulted in a downrating. One is that when we arrived, the floor in the area with the hibachis was dirty--littered with stray bits of vegetables and other food that could have been fugitives from the energetic cooking of the chefs, or maybe just dropped by diners. Either way, it was a poor first impression that only got worse by the time we left. I had to step around the stuff. Do they not have brooms or mops in Japan? I also had to switch my chair twice. The first chair I had wobbled precariously, and I was afraid it might collapse and deposit me on the not very clean floor. I switched it for an unoccupied chair and found food on the seat. Yes, restaurants should clean not just the floor but the seats. Add it all up, and it destroys the atmosphere of the place.

So, the food and how it is presented are very good here. I just wish management would pay more attention to the housekeeping. In the future, I will restrict my visits to Koto to the Erie Blvd. restaurant, where I did not experience these issues.

• Visited January 2014
Hornell, New York
“Classic Hibachi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Very entertaining and the food was delicious! Very nice atmosphere, clean, friendly staff. Only 6 Hibachi tables but plenty of dining room space. Really enjoyed my meal! Definitely worth it!

• Visited August 2013