“Friendly staff at the right time”

Candlewood Suites Syracuse Airport
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Though the personal staff during the nighttime shift was extremely abrasive, the staff during the day was very friendly and accommodating. Meeting all the requests I had and also answering questions about the area. Overall a decent place to stay.

Room Tip: Request the first floor. The Wifi on the other floors is a crap shoot.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Edward B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Syracuse Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear nlentz1228,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry that you found the PM desk staff to be abrasive. I have shared your comments with them and will use them as a training tool. We are glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Our one night say at the Candlewood Suites was a pleasant one. The room was clean (for the most part) and neat. Housekeeping could have taken a bit more attention to detail. The desk staff was helpful, easy access location and parking was convenient

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Edward B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Syracuse Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Speechteach13626,

Thank You for reviewing our hotel. I have shared your comments with the Housekeeping Team and hope to use them as a training tool to help them to remember the small details. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I had two main issues with this hotel.

1) It was not clean. Every time I turned the lights on, there were roaches running everywhere.

2) The Operations Manager, Megan A. Campbell, was the person who manned the front desk from the time we checked in until about 3-4 hours later. She was rude. She did not even glance at me while she gave me the IHG member lecture, and then identified me as a gold member. I pointed out that I was a platinum member and pointed to the IHG Platinum Member card that I had handed her when I first approched the desk. It has a 2015 expiration date. She then said (again without looking at me), "Oh, well then thanks for being a platinum member," while shaking her head and in a very sarcastic tone. I later asked if it would be possible to get a small (sandwhich-sized) bag of ice for my ankle, which had swollen up during the days travels. She replied no, and said they were not allowed to have an ice machine in an extended stay hotel. She said I had an ice maker in my room. I had already turned it on as soon as I went into the room the first time, but it takes quite a while to make any ice. She suggested that I walk across the street to the convienence store and then argued with me when I asked if she meant the one with the Tim Horton's Coffee Shop in it. She kept saying there was no Tim Horton's there, until another guest verified for me that I was correct. I waited until she was no longer at the front desk and asked the new attendant the same question about getting some ice. She went into the back room and cane out with an entire pitcher full of ice.

My two other travel companions had similar issues with her on a variety of other topics. If she has an issue dealing with customers in a polite fashion, then she should get a different job. we stayed at this same hotel on a previous trip to the area, and had similar experiences. The only reason we came back was because the Holiday Inn next door did not have an airport shuttle. Now they do, so we never have to stay at this dump again.

Room Tip: Go to the Holiday Inn next door!
1  Thank Eric F

Dear Eric F,

Me and my team would like to apologize for the service that you were given during your stay. I have shared your comments with the appropriate employees. Since we are in the hospitality industry, customer service is one of our main priorities and I am sorry that you felt it was lacking. As you can see by the comments posted here on Tripadvisor and on IHG.com we usually get great reviews regarding our staff. I am surprised that you did not bring up roaches in your room when you were here on property. After reading your comments we did have our pest control company come out and look at the room, they gave the room a clean bill of health. The Holiday Inn Express next door has had an airport shuttle since opening in 2009. Thanks for taking the time to review your last stay with us.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel because we had a very early flight the next morning. It is an all suite hotel with kitchen and separate bedroom, way more than we needed for a quick one night stay. The place could use updating and the linens weren't great, but the towels we excellent, fluffy new and bright white.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Edward B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Syracuse Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Panama2000,

We appreciate your feedback about our hotel. We have started doing some upgrades to the hotel starting with new bedding packages, soft seating and a new lobby area. We would love for you to come back in the future to see what other updates we will be doing soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We have been staying here for 5 years during the summer months. The staff is always wonderful and the rooms are nicely equipped for long term stays. The Candlewood Cupboard has a great selection of snacks for those nights we dont feel like cooking. We will be back again soon !

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Taking the last flight out of Syracuse to Seattle and it's cancelled! BLAH! We were seeking a room and came across the Candlewood as it is a two minute drive from the airport. The gal at the front desk was super nice and helpful. We commented, off the cuff, that our flight was cancelled and she piped up with "Oh! I can give you a distress rate!" Seeing that we were returning home after my grandfather's funeral, this was nice as it had been emotional and stressful (she did not know that) How nice is that? This place was quiet, friendly, and clean. Perfect for an overnight rest. There are restaurants within walking distance including a Dunkin Donuts and Coffee for those on the run! We really appreciated their hospitality and were pleasantly surprised to save about 60 dollars!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank schmotz
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Nice clean property close to the airport.
No breakfast served.
But very close to diners . There is also a well stocked gas station across the road .

Stay away from room number 110 as it is next to the hotel laundry. Which can be very noisy

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Edward B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Syracuse Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Mohitoswal,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear that you found our hotel clean and located in a great area with plenty of food options around us. As we are a busy hotel the lobby area can sometimes get loud during peak check in times. We wish you would have let us know and we would have moved your room to a more quite part of the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in the future if you should ever be in the Syracuse area again.