“Concert Stay”

Courtyard Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Was looking for a hotel close to the Landmark Theater. We were going to see Mannheim Steamroller. Booked this hotel. We were not dismayed. Courtyards are always nice, clean, and the staff is very courteous. This hotel is 2 blocks from the Landmark. Very close to restaurants in the Armory Square area. We enjoyed a great meal at Empire Brewing. You have to valet park your car, but they are very quick to retrieve it for you. Easy to get to with close access to
I-690. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: There is no need to try to get a view of anything. Our room was on the 3rd floor, very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Jim_Wefers, General Manager at Courtyard Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Courtyard Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square. It is indeed a pleasure to be part of the community with the Landmark Theatre and all the great restaurants nearby. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

For the past two years I have been staying at the Marriott properties out at the Carrier Circle but welcomed the arrival of the downtown Marriott with open arms since I do my business there. If you drive to this Marriott (Courtyard and Residence Inn) your only parking option here is valet parking ($10/day). Upon entering the lobby it has the basic Courtyard layout but is fresh and clean. The front desk staff unfortunately was stiff and indifferent.

An interesting thing I noticed when I arrived at my floor and walk down the hallways was that there were at least two temperature control devices which I guess is uses to balance the air temperature across the hotel more evenly. As for the room, again it was the same basic Courtyard layout with just a small twist. The full wall behind the bed had the left top corner removed which gave it more depth when looking from the window area. There are two other items that I want to highlight about the room. When I pulled the TV stand forward I was shocked to see literally a pile of dust that must be there since they opened in late July 2013. Second the windows themselves do not do a good job of keeping out external noise. Since my room was facing the parking deck, it was annoying to here at night and early morning the sound of cars “beeping” every time the valet staff went to look for a vehicle. On a positive note the staff at the Café was extremely friendly and couldn’t do enough for you.

The next time I am in town I am really considering going back to a Carrier Circle Marriott even though it is six miles away. The staff there is very friendly and it feels a bit cozier. The plus for the downtown Marriott is the ability to walk to the bars and restaurants in Armory Square.

Room Tip: At this facility you might be better off having your room face the street than the parking desk
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MrOcho
Jim_Wefers, General Manager at Courtyard Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you for feedback on your recent stay at our Syracuse hotel. We apologize for any disruptions your may have faced while in your room. Your comments have been passed on to Housekeeping and our Valets and will help us in training associates. We are pleased that our Bistro met your expectations and our staff was warm and friendly. I hope that you will allow us to serve you again during your next visit to Syracuse.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is the single-worst hotel experience of my life. Ignorant rude staff, disgusting mold everywhere, no parking except for valet which you have to wait a minimum of 20 minutes each way for, awful food, no water pressure. Every surface is absolutely filthy. I'd rather get a box and sleep in the 10 degree weather on the street than stay in this absolute dump again. In fact, I'm done with Marriott permanently. Never, ever again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DMB002
Jim_Wefers, General Manager at Courtyard Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

I am concerned to hear about your recent stay at the Courtyard in Armory Square. We strive to offer an all-around positive guest experience and it troubles me that you found our service and facilities less than expected. Please contact me at 315-422-4854 to discuss your visit so we may use your feedback in addressing any issues with our staff.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I was visiting Syracuse for a business meeting, and decided to try out the new Courtyard Armory Square. The location is great for access to Food, Drink, and Entertainment. The hotel is bright and cheerful, and the staff seemed to go out of their way to be helpful. One morning, I was sitting in the restaurant drinking coffee and working on emails only to hear one of the employees singing while working on getting the kitchen ready for the guests. singing people are happy people, and I believe that this represents the attitude of the hotel. I am not sure what happened with the other guests that had a bad experience with the staff, but I enjoyed my stay. Had a nice fresh room, I faced Fayette street, and had no issues with noise.

If you decide to stay here, check out a couple of the restaurants we did, Kittys (Irish Pub) great drinks and affordable food. and / or BCs restaurant, great food, but a little more expensive. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Jim_Wefers, General Manager at Courtyard Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience at our new Courtyard Downtown Syracuse. We are glad to hear that you were pleased with our location in Armory Square among the many restaurant and entertainment options as well as our cheerful hotel and team. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I was excited to stay for three nights at this new Courtyard right in the heart of Armory Square in downtown Syracuse. It is a rejuvenated downtown area filled with bars, restaurants and shops. Our room on the second floor faced Fayette Street at the front of the hotel. Apparently Marriott didn't think to double-pane the windows, so every street sound carried right into our room, and in fact sounded amplified as it bounced off the adjacent buildings. The traffic noise was very disturbing and interfered with our ability to sleep, and people leaving the bars at all hours were able to be heard at all hours. Imagine my "delight" when awakened at 2:54 am on a Friday night by screaming women who had apparently just left one of the nearby bars. I got out of my bed to look because the screaming was so loud and going on for so long, I honestly thought someone was being murdered. No -- they were just standing on the sidewalk across the street from the hotel yelling at each other before they got in their cars and drove away. I work with real estate developers for a living, and I cannot imagine being allowed to build a hotel without noise attenuation when the property is in a location such as this. For this reason alone, I will never stay here again on our frequent trips to Syracuse.

Also, on Saturday, we returned to our room at about 5:00 pm to find that our bathroom had been cleaned, but our bed had not been made. Never before have I seen a hotel half-clean a room. Our drinking glasses were also not replaced. About an hour later, a housekeeper knocked very quietly and then entered my room before I had a chance to respond. She asked if she could make my bed, but by that point, I was already napping in it, so I said no.

This is all too bad, because the hotel itself is pretty, the room was nicely laid out, the bed was comfortable, but the noise and the service were not acceptable.

Room Tip: Do not take a room facing toward Fayette Street. Too noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank law91436

Thank you for taking the time to review our Armory Square hotel. We are very proud to be part of the exciting rejuvenation of the downtown Syracuse area. We appreciate the honest feedback you provided with the noise and service that you experienced. It is our goal to provide quality service to our guests and have shared your concerns with our housekeeping staff. We hope that you allow us to improve your impression by staying with us again upon a future trip to Syracuse.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stayed at this property 10/11 - 10/15 and disappointing doesn't even explain our experience. Throughout our 5 day stay, we were barely acknowledged by the staff when we were coming or going from the hotel. What was more disappointing than being ignored was the housekeeping. When we initially entered our room, we were welcomed to a trash can full of the last guest's trash. Gross. Sadly, the trash situation only worsened as when we came back to our room 2 nights later, there were NO trash cans. We called the front desk and spoke to Andrew explaining the problem and he was less than accommodating to our request for trash can(s) and never even apologized for the mishap. We actually had to call back a few minutes later when we discovered there were NO towels at all in our room, and once again spoke to the underwhelming Andrew. Mistakes happen (though these ones were pretty ridiculous), but we would've been fine had Andrew or anyone at the hotel simply apologized for the mistake(s). The most disturbing experience of our stay happened the next day. I entered our room late morning to grab something I had forgotten and there was (what I hope and believe to be) a hotel employee cleaning my room, but she was not in uniform but rather in yoga pants and a t-shirt. I was in shock that no one in management had required her to be in uniform or sent her home for not being in uniform. We had a rather uncomfortable visitor from maintenance the next morning that wanted to check on the leaking shower that we had reported, which we did not report. When we told him that, he said that he would need to check it out regardless, when I said no as I had just gotten out of the shower and was still in a towel. Additionally, throughout the stay we were woken up daily, generally around 8:00 by the cleaning staff knocking on our doors, then immediately entering (literally immediately after knocking) when we had a 'do not disturb' sign clearly on the door knob. The condition of this 'new' hotel was a bit shocking as well. There was a great deal of wear and tear in the bathroom specifically, even the shower door was already broken. Sadly, after the way we were treated when asking for towels and trash cans, we opted to not voice our dissatisfaction with any other issues while we were still staying there in fear that the staff might retaliate. I work at the corporate level in hospitality, which might make me a tougher critic, but it also means that I am aware of what is acceptable and unacceptable, and unfortunately, almost nothing about my stay here was acceptable. The majority of the staff is in need of serious training, but I can't entirely blame them as the problem starts at the management level.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank swile217
Jim_Wefers, General Manager at Courtyard Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

I do thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I apologize that your stay was below your expectations. We value our guest voice and actively seek and welcome all feedback provided. This is the most valuable source of information on the experience we strive to provide to all of our travelers. I have attempted to contact you personally to discuss your experience; should anything need to be addressed further, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

This hotel is only a few months new but is in a great location with restaurants and nice shops within walking distance. They offer valet parking and it was only 10. There's also garage parking as well. Staff was very friendly and helpful both at the registration desk and the cafe.

I would definitely book another stay here .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind review. We are happy to hear that members of our team provided good service during your stay. Also, glad you enjoyed our location and the many wonderful restaurants and shops within walking distance. Look forward to your return.