“Go for the location, stay again for the service”

Residence Inn Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
GreenLeadersBronze level
Brooklyn, New York
“Go for the location, stay again for the service”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Hotel staff went out of their way to make us feel comfortable even though this is not a typical full service hotel (i.e. no porter to help with bags). I called ahead to ask for early check-in and Trisha at the front desk greeted me by name - a lovely welcome! Celeste from housekeeping was a doll and prepared two rooms for us to select from (my dad has Parkinson's and she was gracious about changing sheets, extra bath amenities, swapping room keys and laughing at his oddball jokes; she's a empathetic angel disguised under that housekeeping uniform).

Included breakfast buffet was well stocked with hot and cold items. Tables were cleaned off quickly. All day coffee/tea near the bar is a nice touch.

Hopefully the street construction and wonky sidewalks will be repaired soon.

Room Tip: NB: the handicap room has a bigger shower but if the sofa bed is opened, access to the front door is...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrea M
Jim_Wefers, General Manager at Residence Inn Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to share thoughts on your recent stay at the Residence Inn. I am beyond pleased that our front desk and housekeeping associates were able to make your stay an exceptional one. I will be sure to pass along your comments to the staff members you mentioned specifically. Should your travels bring you back to Syracuse, I look forward to welcoming you back once again.

Jim Wefers, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We had a great experience with this hotel. Newly opened and very nice accommodations. Conveniently located to shops and restaurants. Had a great experience. Would highly recommend if you're in the Syracuse area.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2014

An interesting hotel. The rooms are organized in a rather unique way with the sleeping area somewhat separated from the living/kitchen area, but not truly separated. Likewise the room and bathroom are semi separated. The walk-in shower and toiled are behind a door, but the sink and wash-area are not. Makes it somewhat of a nuisance if your are sleeping-in and someone else is using the sink area.

Having said that the hotel was newer and look well maintained and rather clean. The front desk staff and room staff were friendly and efficient. The breakfast area was rather nice, but they had trouble keeping the food trays filled and the food was somewhat cold and not as hot as it should be.

Overall decent price, decent hotel with an excellent downtown location.

Room Tip: Try to avoid having a room that faces the street. It does get rather noisy with local traffic.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank haurock
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We made reservations for this hotel 10 -12 months ago bc my husband was scheduled 2 graduate a yr later (he graduated this weekend). Location: The location was good & close 2 the interstate. We were maybe 5 min from a mall (Destiny?).
Room: we stayed in a 2 bedroom room which also included a sofa bed. The beds were comfortable for our 5 member family. Our room was cleaned once during our 3 day; 2 night stay . The dishes were clean for the most part, but the 3 coffee cups were coffee-stained. The bed linen was bad. There was hair all over the sheets & pillowcases & there were toys left in the room from a previous visit.
Food: the included breakfast was good; the kids enjoyed it. Staff: front desk -some pleasant; a few - not so much. Valet drivers were nice & very prompt.
Hotel elevators: need improvement. The doors do not have the auto-detection for objects in the doorway. The door almost closed on a family member.
Overall: I unfortunately wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank AustinTXFamily
I appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience at the Residence Inn. I am concerned about the level of service provided by our housekeeping staff and have alerted our supervisors and associates to ensure more thorough inspections before each guest arrives. I hope you will consider staying at Residence Inn during your next visit to Syracuse and allow us to show how your feedback has had a positive impact on our hotel experience.

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

This was my husband's and my 4th stay at this hotel. I am a Marriott Rewards Member. We have had two great experiences and two not so great. Unfortunately, the two most recent stays were not the best experiences.

We stayed two nights over Memorial Day Weekend. Our room was never cleaned by housekeeping on our 2nd day. And we were woken up from a deep sleep at 8:30 am this morning when a staff member felt it necessary to knock before simply hanging our express check out paper work on the door. A half hour later housekeeping knocked again. So much for sleeping in.

We also stayed over Christmas of 2013 and our room was absolutely filthy. The sofa was covered with dog hair and there looked to be urine stains in the shower. I was so unhappy I took photos and contacted management. $50 dollars was removed from our bill.

This last stay was us giving them a second chance. Don't plan on staying there again. Housekeeping and staff need major training. The plus side location, location location. But for over $200 we expected more.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mollie G
Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay at the Residence Inn. I am disappointed to see that our housekeeping fell short of your expectations as well as our own. I have alerted Housekeeping supervisors to your comments for use in training for new and current associates. I do hope you'll allow us another opportunity to provide the level of service that Marriott is known for upon your return to Syracuse. Should you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact me directly.

socal
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed here just this weekend and it was lovely. The street is a bit of a mess right now because of some pipeline work and they are literally in the same building as the Courtyard which would have been just as comfortable I am sure.

I ended up in a Jr suite of some sort that had a kitchen, a sectional sofa that I think pulled out into a bed, a nicely placed desk, and a bedroom off to the side. It was adorable and totally made me think, "If I needed to live in NYC, I could absolutely handle 350 sf if it was designed this well."

Everything was super clean, the lobby is well designed with great places to hang out and the ever awesome free breakfast option.

The bed was comfy and even though I was on the 2nd floor (I guess they missed my request to be on a higher level?) the street noise wasn't bad at all.

It was a very pleasant visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
I cannot tell you how much we appreciate your kind words regarding your recent stay at the Residence Inn. We take great pride in offering an exceptional stay and I will be happy to share your comments with our associates. I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you're in Syracuse!

Kirkland, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My family and I spent one night and this newer Residence Inn on our way home from a longer stay down in Philadelphia. Everything was exactly as hoped except for a few minor issues. The hotel is beautiful, modern, clean. The staff was generally friendly although I was a little surprised that I received absolutely no mention of the fact that I am Platinum with Marriott spending more than 100 nights a year in their properties nor any of the perks that generally come with it. I have become somewhat used to little perks like comped parking, extra water in my room, complimentary upgrades, etc. Also, unfortunately the hotel had no whole milk. It's pretty much all my one year old drinks and we were sent to a little corner store at 11pm to get some. Also, because there is significant construction in the area, the streets were very dark that night so I had my family wait for me in the lobby as they were not comfortable walking with me.

Lack of loyalty acknowledgement aside, this hotel is a nice property in a good location. Parking is mandatory to be valet at $10.00 / nt which is reasonable n theory, but if I'm not mistaken, they just park your car outside 20 feet away from the front door.

If ever in the area, we will likely be back, but strictly with expectations of clean modern accomodations, no perks...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kevin C
Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn during your travels from Philadelphia. I am pleased that our brand new hotel's modern and clean accommodations met your expectations. We appreciate and value our loyal Rewards guests and apologize for any lack of recognition. Upgrade requests are based upon availability and, unfortunately, cannot be always guaranteed. If you do find yourself in the area again, I invite you to return to our Armory Square hotel for another opportunity to provide an exceptional stay.