“Fairly new property, roads around under construction”

Residence Inn Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Overall very good, new pace and friendly staff, only draw back it's out of the hands of hotel, which are the roads around were under construction, stayed during winter time, will go back for business or pleasure for sure. Hope this helps.

• Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I really should have written this review sooner.
This hotel was great!
Nice and modern and clean hotel.
The staff at this hotel were helpful and very friendly. I liked how the staff helped each other out.

The valet Parking guys were fantastic!!! They were better than some concierges I have come across. These guys are a real credit to the hotel

The only issue we had during out stay was the road works, which the hotel could do NOTHING about.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Jim_Wefers, General Manager at Residence Inn Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Residence Inn in Downtown Syracuse! I completely agree with your sentiments - we have an amazing team of associates and valets who value our guests! I hope you'll join us again should your travels bring you back to the States.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed for 10 nights for business and when I left I genuinely felt like I was leaving friends behind. From grace at check in. Erika was awesome she was very friendly and very helpful giving advice on what to do in Syracuse. The lobby at the residence inn was the place to be. Will be coming back soon!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I read the Trip Advisor reviews before I booked a hotel in the middle of my travel from Maine to Ohio. Built in 2013 sounded good. Downtown sounded good as well. Noise didn't sound good and so I figured we could request a quiet room. I booked a 2 room suite as I was traveling with my wife and 2 sons. I requested a "quiet room away from elevator and street noise" on my reservation through the Marriott website. I even asked about this again when I checked in and was reassured that the room would be very quiet. Turns out all the 2 room suites face the rowdiest bars in Syracuse. There was screaming, sirens going off, drag racing/motor cycles racing down the street, which by the way is littered with construction, going until at least 4 am. The insulation on the windows is inadequate as I felt I was "in the middle of the action" the whole night. I called downstairs and was told they could not move me. I slept about 2 hours the whole night and that was in the morning when I slept through the breakfast. Additionally the room had issues with cleanliness. The attached picture are the "friends" that welcome my 11 year old when he was about to lie down. When we checked in they had a "key issue" and so we got no key - someone had to take us up to our rooms after waiting about 5 minutes for the single functioning elevator. The hotel is surround by homeless persons - one locked himself in the hotel lobby bathroom requiring the front desk staff to call the police in the morning. I mentioned all of these issues to an unconcerned manager, Matthew Graber, in the morning. He told me that noise is "out of their control" and was very unsympathetic and unappologetic. For $260 a night we got no sleep, felt like we spent the night at a shelter, 2 of us got no breakfast and we all left upset. This place is an embarrassment to the Marriott chain. STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: Beg for a room away from street noise - the bars are open until 2 am and the noise continues after t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank The_Kman
Jim_Wefers, General Manager at Residence Inn Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Residence Inn in Syracuse. I do apologize that our efforts to accommodate your requests fell short of expectations. Our urban location, however convenient, is adjacent to some of Syracuse's best restaurants and bars, which are a source of vibrant nightlife. I am truly sorry for any disruptions caused by outside noise during your stay. Should your travels bring you back to Syracuse, I do hope you'll join us again and enjoy a more restful stay.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This property is in a great location. Easy walk to downtown and close to restaurants. There are a few boutique shops but if you want shopping the new local shopping centre is a few miles away. We didn't have a booking and they were able to accommodate us. We were also able to check in early. The rooms where clean and modern. There are roadworks on the main road leading into the property so during the day it is a little noisy but at night it was fine. Staff were friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Jim_Wefers, General Manager at Residence Inn Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

I am pleased to read of your recent stay at the Residence Inn and glad we were able to accommodate your last minute booking. Should your travels bring you back to Syracuse, I hope you will join us again.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Hotel staff went out of their way to make us feel comfortable even though this is not a typical full service hotel (i.e. no porter to help with bags). I called ahead to ask for early check-in and Trisha at the front desk greeted me by name - a lovely welcome! Celeste from housekeeping was a doll and prepared two rooms for us to select from (my dad has Parkinson's and she was gracious about changing sheets, extra bath amenities, swapping room keys and laughing at his oddball jokes; she's a empathetic angel disguised under that housekeeping uniform).

Included breakfast buffet was well stocked with hot and cold items. Tables were cleaned off quickly. All day coffee/tea near the bar is a nice touch.

Hopefully the street construction and wonky sidewalks will be repaired soon.

Room Tip: NB: the handicap room has a bigger shower but if the sofa bed is opened, access to the front door is...
1  Thank Andrea M
Jim_Wefers, General Manager at Residence Inn Syracuse Downtown at Armory Square, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to share thoughts on your recent stay at the Residence Inn. I am beyond pleased that our front desk and housekeeping associates were able to make your stay an exceptional one. I will be sure to pass along your comments to the staff members you mentioned specifically. Should your travels bring you back to Syracuse, I look forward to welcoming you back once again.

Be Well,

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We had a great experience with this hotel. Newly opened and very nice accommodations. Conveniently located to shops and restaurants. Had a great experience. Would highly recommend if you're in the Syracuse area.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business