“Bed bugs” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Edmond, Oklahoma
“Bed bugs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

We initially booked for 4 nights. A few hours into the 1st night, I was awakened by itching on my wrist and finger, and decided I had received mosquito bites. On the 2nd night, I was awakened at 4 a.m. by soreness at the corner of my mouth and bottom lip. Upon looking in the bathroom mirror, I found that my lip/face were swollen and discovered that my eyebrow/eyelid were also swollen. I sat in the bathroom, did some research, and decided that I had bed bug bites! I went to the night clerk to show him what I was experiencing. He was sympathetic, but tried to convince me they weren't bed bug bites. He asked if we were leaving immediately. I said not at that time of 5 a.m., but we would definitely be checking out later. He gave me the name and number of the manager, which was at least a helpful thing to do. I ended up putting towels on the tile bathroom floor to sleep for a few more hours--I knew that bedbugs surely wouldn't be there, and they weren't. Later in the morning, I called the booking service we had used, and they helped us negotiate canceling the remainder of our reservation. We asked that the hotel management also refund us for that 2nd night, but the management did not agree to this. Additionally, I found that the upholstered chair in the room had not been vacuumed, and the bathroom just off of the breakfast area was quite dirty. It was a relief to go to another hotel!
When the swelling of the bites went down, the small red bites were evident, and the itching continued for some days. Definitely would not ever return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank travelingmom94

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

I called the office when I heard things bouncing of the walls and screaming and it sounded like the guy was hitting the girl with him come to find out after waiting for the office to do something about the noise when police showed up that these people are crack heads and were shooting up in the room. I called the front desk 2 times and the guy was rude and hung up on me.

• Stayed July 2013
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

On our way back to Canada from Maryland, four of us stopped at Econo Lodge and Suites in North Syracuse for one night. We had booked on-line and didn't have high expectations, based purely on the appearance of the outside of the hotel. Check-in was fairly quick with our reservation numbers. And then the long trek to our room -- most rooms have an entrance directly from outside. But when I opened the door, I was very pleasantly surprised.
First of all was the spaciousness of the room. It contained a king size bed, a dresser, a large desk and chair, as well as two comfortable armchairs. And there was still plenty of room to move around.
Second, considering this was a smoking room, it did not have that typical stale smoke smell.
Third, the bed was very comfortable.
True, the view from the window was of a parking lot. And the bathroom amenities were minimal. But for the price (less than $85 with taxes), we felt we got a very good deal. It is a short drive off the highway and very close to the largest indoor mall in the country, so what more can one ask for?

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Potsdam, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

The two identical cheap prints hung over the beds tell it all. This is a cheap hotel not a romantic Inn. The dirt behind the bathroom door and the mold behind the bathroom faucet would be normal at home but I expect more at a hotel. The smell of smoke hit you as soon as you opened the door to my "nonsmoking" room.

I was there on business with an associate so it was ok but I will look for alternatives the next time I am in Syracuse.

Room Tip: You have to climb stairs for the second floor so the first floor is better if you have luggage.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank edsachs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

Front desk guy was very friendly and breakfast was decent. Plus the room was pretty cheap and good location if you've visited just to shop at Destiny. But BED BUGS! Came home with tons of bites and I'm itchy and miserable. Won't come back for that reason and that reason only.

• Stayed May 2013
5 Thank trip123sky
Endwell, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

My husband andI stayed in this hotel ..room 206 ..on May 24 to the 25. He already wrote a review..please see the one labeled bed bugs..bed bugs..bed bugs. This is an update. We received a call today from Jason who works there. He read our review of the hotel online and was not happy. He basically called my husband a liar about having bed bugs in the room and said the more than 100 bites he has on him could be an allergic reaction to something. Well when you wake up with bugs in your bed and blood streaks on the sheets and bites all over your body one tends not to believe its an allergic reaction to something! He also told us that no one else who was booked in that room AFTER us reported any bedbugs to them. They continued renting out that room AFTER they were told there was bed bugs in there!!!!! Then he asked us why we didn't report it immediately to someone there. We actually reported it about 10 minutes upon waking up to them (at 4:30 am). I went and checked out and told Tamara who then refunded our money. She made a few mistakes while trying to refund our money and called Jason on the phone while I was standing there and told him what happened. Why he was trying to pretend we never said anything during our phone call today is unbelievable. When he told me they continued to rent the room out I was very upset and asked for a name and phone number for his supervisor. He wouldn't give it to me and actually hung up on me! What a great place to stay.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!
Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Janet C
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

We needed a last minute reservation and airport shuttle, since another hotel fell through. Jason and his staff were incredibly friendly, as well as helpful and quick in their response. If you need a quick cheap safe and comfortable place to stay when flying in and out of the Airport, this is the Hotel for you.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family