“If you like ceramics, this is your place!”

Everson Museum of Art
Ranked #16 of 67 things to do in Syracuse
More attraction details
Owner description: Ceramics are one of the specialities at this art museum.
Memphis, Tennessee
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“If you like ceramics, this is your place!”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I completely agree with the previous review about this museum only appealing to those with certain tastes. They do have the biggest ceramics collection I have ever seen. As I understand it, they charge fees for special exhibits, but otherwise they just ask for a donation. There is a lot of security here so if you aren't into ceramics and don't like security following you constantly, you may want to skip it.

Visited February 2013

Syracuse, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“love”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

love art there and the design. fun & interactive for kids. great gallery and set up the way a museum is supposed to be. staff is friendly and knowledgeable!

Visited February 2013
Syracuse, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Museum workers were obnoxiously over protective”
Reviewed 17 January 2013

they called members of our party to come back and push in our chair all-the- way at a children's table. Another worker stopped us from using a hands on exhibit, as he didn't understand how to use it, but I read the directions to him and he backed off. The whole experience was awful and embarrassing that I brought our out of town guests there. I felt as though they didn't want us there, and that we might touch something we shouldn't. I even called to complain, and only got an apology and reassurance that the workers would be spoken to. I hope they did, and hope others will have a better experience than we did.

2 Thank Beth C
Rochester, New York
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Quality art museum worth experiencing”
Reviewed 26 December 2012

This art museum rotates it s exhibits so that we look forward to periodically returning to see the new offerings. Great area for kids to experience a variety of media; small but pleasant gift shop; helpful staff; convenient parking

Visited July 2012
Houston, Texas
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“Could appeal, depending on interests”
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Similar to tastes in movies, I think everyone has genres of art media that aren't their favorites. Syracuse's art museum had that problem for me, but if you enjoy ceramics where the vast majority is brown earthenware, often in bizarre, non-functional designs, then you're going to have a much more positive perspective. There were a fair number of cases of beautiful painted china and porcelain vases and glassware including ancient Etruscan, Egyptian and Chinese pieces and vintage pieces from historic Syracuse-area factories, but you will have to hunt for them in the sea of earth-tone pottery. It might have helped if they had signs explaining what the ceramists were trying to do, and that lack of information was more glaring in their contemporary painting gallery. Ditto for their photography gallery. Their modern art room focused on massive colorfield canvases, one by Helen Frankenthaler, and that room had better explanatory signage. However, if you're not a fan of Mark Rothko-type blocks of color, then that's basically all they have. (Their children's interest exhibit included a cartoon video of a cute journalist puffin interviewing Matisse, but...does the museum have a Matisse? I didn't see one.) On the other hand, they had an incredible antique vase from the Napoleonic era in their one gallery dedicated to antique art along with some paintings by 18th century American artists - good job with the signs there, too. Their atrium is also very pretty (particularly the curved staircase) and the installation of "window box flowers" made from shopping mall packing materials is lovely and the creativity put a smile on my face. Wouldn't go far out of my way for this museum unless you have a love for ceramics, but if you're in the area, it's worth a short stop.

Visited October 2012