“Clean, adequate rooms. Location not that great.”

Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
New York City, New York
“Clean, adequate rooms. Location not that great.”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This hotel is pretty much what you expect from a Holiday Inn Express (HIE) in terms of cleanliness and efficient stay for a reasonable price.

Location
It is about 15 minutes drive from downtown Syracuse. But it is in the middle of nowhere. No restaurants nearby, apart from a Buffalo wings joint. The hotel is in front of vacant lots and unused warehouses. The whole surroundings are very much rundown and unattractive.

Amenities
Nice size swimming pool. The fitness room was small even for HIE standards. I had better breakfasts at other HIE properties. Good coffee but limited selection of items. No cream cheese for the bagels and a pancake machine that doesn’t deliver.

Overall a reasonable budget alternative but with some downsides.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Smertios
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear Smertios,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and for writing us a candid review. While we are pleased that you found our pool area nice, it is regrettable that the hotel location was a letdown and breakfast options were not at par. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of products and services provided.

We have taken note of your feedback and will be used to focus on improving guest satisfaction. We look forward to serving you again on your next future visit.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Warsaw, Missouri
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was the most odd location of any Holiday Inn Express we've stayed at...in the middle of a field and no signs to get there! But once you arrive, it's everything you'd expect :) The staff were very friendly and they are pet friendly but at quite a cost..$50 (most are $25)..phew! The rooms were comfortable and clean but the TV selection is poor and the bathroom fan didn't work. We'd still recommend without a doubt! Gotta try the restaurant down the "path" too!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Stratham, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I'm not sure where to begin, as I have always made HI Express my number one hotel, due to it's consistent properties wherever I travel. My son and I stayed here as a halfway point to Niagara Falls, and the reviews seemed good. I'll start with the positives - quiet location (a bit out of the way, which was OK), clean facility/room, and comfortable beds. We did have an adjoining room, with a snoring neighbor, so try to avoid that type of room if possible. The main issue I had was with the morning breakfast, which has always been a good experience. First of all, they ran out of eggs, as well as cinnamon buns, and the remaining selections were very sparse - not many muffins, bagels or bread, and I do not believe there was any fruit. Secondly, we were very surprised when 5 of the workman/landscapers came barreling in the front door, and were allowed to eat from the breakfast buffet. They pretty much decimated the remaining food, which I felt was extremely unfair to the paying guests. I've never seen that happen at any other HI Express. Lastly, when they ran out of knives, one of the staff members took out a box from under the counter, and one of the workman reached his hand in the box, and restocked the empty jar on the breakfast counter! I was very unhappy about that, since I did not see any of them wash their hands after coming in the front entrance. I strongly believe that the breakfast buffet should only be for the paying guests, and outside workers should not be allowed to eat from that area. I've worked in similar situations, and the workers were always fed in another area. As a loyal HI Express Priority Club member, I certainly hope the management makes some changes based on this review, although I will most likely not stay here again on my next trip through the area. If you do stay here, my suggestion would be to go somewhere outside of the hotel for breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor, not an adjoining room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
John T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for your review! I am glad we get the opportunity to respond to you. We are so happy to hear you found our hotel to be clean and comfortable. We also apologize that some items appeared to be out of stock on our breakfast bar. I can assure you that no employees are eating our breakfast, and in fact, we don't have a landscaping or working crew. We do have many customers that stay at our hotel that are currently working on local construction projects. They stay with us all summer and the staff knows them well. That may be what you witnessed at our breakfast. I will take some time and speak to them and our team about appropriate behavior in the breakfast area but please rest assure that everyone at our breakfast is a paying guest.

John Tees
Dunkirk, New York
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This hotel is a little hard to find but it is a great place to stay! Very clean and comfy bed and pillows. Very nice breakfast in the morning. Just a short distance to the fairgrounds. Enjoyed the pool area and the lobby. The staff was very helpful with questions we had about shopping and eating.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Rhinebeck, New York
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Easy check-in, lovely room with comfy bed and pillows, desk area, microwave and frig. Flat screen TV. Not very many channels though. Business center, pool, and fitness center available. Nice lobby area and good breakfast.
10 mins to SU campus, Dinosaur BBQ, etc.
Very close to the Fairgrounds.
I would go there again and recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank woodfrogs
Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Great hotel for my one night stay on the college tour circuit. It really is in the middle of nowhere but its a clean, well run hotel. The room was perfect, the front desk was very helpful with questions and the breakfast buffet was always restocked and was exceptionally clean. For those visiting Syracuse University, its less than 15 minutes away and the room rate is far less than you will pay in town. There is also a walkway to the Quaker Steak and Lube restaurant next door.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank morbo284
Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed here July 4th weekend on a girls shopping trip. The room was nice, it looked as if it was hastly furnished. It didn't have a good use of space, there was a tiny chair in a big corner, but thats not all that important. We reserved a jr suite and it was supposed to come with a couch but they didn't have any rooms with couches so we settled. Good thing we didn't mind sharing beds. Everything else was fine, the breakfast was great as usual, its pretty much the reason we always stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Our first night we stayed, we left to get dinner and since it was raining it made our key to the back entrance not work properly. Luckily the hotel staff heard us fiddling with the door and opened it up for us. It was a bit odd that rain would do this but ok, we got it reprogrammed and moved on.
The hotel on the 4th floor, the wifi is very bad. Unless we sat beside the door, we had little to no wifi signal. We were a bit upset over this because we had planned to use the wifi as a means to communicate with family but we were unable to.

The hotel is at a great location, about 10 minutes from Destiny USA shopping and 30-40 minutes from the Waterloo Outlets. We would stay here again, but maybe not on the 4th floor unless they did something to improve their wifi.

Room Tip: Higher floors have poor wifi signal
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends